Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Y or 3 as first T. Worried about Phantom Braking in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC Community, I am considering leaving behind my two ICE vehicles (2006 Acura TL-S & 2010 E90 M3) for a performance EV vehicle. The Dual Motor Y and 3 both interest me but I have read about and talked to some colleagues who have experienced phantom braking. For those who live in Southern California and know how rowdy things can get on the Wild West freeways out here, I'm afraid of brake checking the wrong car on accident. Getting threatened is one thing but getting shot at is another. There are lots of gang members on the freeways down here who do not abide by the law and are 'packing heat' in their vehicle.

Is there something I can do to completely eliminate phantom braking or do I just need to take over the vehicle and drive without using TACC?

Will basic ACC that's included with the Tesla not phantom brake on me?

My work takes me to all areas of Los Angeles and I'm on the road a lot so I'd like to be able to use ACC in heavy traffic.
Yes, TACC will still phantom brake on you. I don't have it so can't directly comment on how often, but I have heard it does not phantom break as often in traffic (when it has other cars to track).

TMC Community, I am considering leaving behind my two ICE vehicles (2006 Acura TL-S & 2010 E90 M3) for a performance EV vehicle. The Dual Motor Y and 3 both interest me but I have read about and talked to some colleagues who have experienced phantom braking. For those who live in Southern California and know how rowdy things can get on the Wild West freeways out here, I'm afraid of brake checking the wrong car on accident. Getting threatened is one thing but getting shot at is another. There are lots of gang members on the freeways down here who do not abide by the law and are 'packing heat' in their vehicle.

Is there something I can do to completely eliminate phantom braking or do I just need to take over the vehicle and drive without using TACC?
Your situation sounds well suited for the bulletproof Cyber Truck. With that, you can phantom brake scott-free, unless the gang bangers are packing something bigger than 9mm's. ;)

Will basic ACC that's included with the Tesla not phantom brake on me?

My work takes me to all areas of Los Angeles and I'm on the road a lot so I'd like to be able to use ACC in heavy traffic.
The same sensors that can cause phantom braking are used for both basic autopilot (tacc) and FSD. I’ve encountered phantom braking with both AP and FSD.
I too live in Newsom’s hellhole and understand what you’re saying. Some advise:
Stay off the 60 freeway.
To avoid the PB’s I would also suggest not using AP around semi trucks. This seems to cause it most of the time with FSD. Also, random overpasses can cause it but I haven’t encountered that in a long time.
Also, when the car does brake check by accident it’s not as intense as you’d think. It’s nothing like the type of brake checking that one does on purpose. It’s more of a jolt than a full lock and shift of momentum- by the time it’s over the person behind you hasn’t really realized that you’ve braked.
Try not to worry too much.
As far as gang members running lawless on the 405 etc.. lol it’s not like that. I agree that there are some characters out there, but you are safe for the most part if you mind your own business.

One thing to consider.. everybody in LA knows that all Tesla’s are always recording video in full HD, 360 degrees, 24/7. People don’t really mess with us because of this. Enough of their “homeboys” have been already burned because of TeslaCam footage most likely.

one of the oddest concerns I’ve ever read on a tesla forum….worried about getting shot on the freeway because of your tesla. Ok well anyway, I have a 2018 3. It has phantom braked before, but it’s not as common as the attention it gets in forums. It’s never been a “slam on the brakes“ experience and I’ve been able to quickly override it with the accelerator anyhow. i have read that this is caused primarily by false radar input … picking up an overpass or a stationary object not truly in the cars path. And since the newest models no longer have radar that phantom braking is all but gone. Can anyone with the new models confirm/refute?

Thanks for the replies. The Cybertruck looks like it was designed by a two year old. Sure it may be an ideal riot vehicle but I would never consider such a hideous vehicle!

Good to know that the PBs aren't as serious as an intentional brake check. Maybe it's best that I go test drive one in multiple road surfaces (city streets and truck laden freeways) and then get an idea for what it feels like, if it even happens.

The gangbangers pack everything from little .22s to 7.62s. They got ladders (30+ rounders) and Mickey Mouse drums on their Glocks as well. So much for the 10-round magazine law in one of the most firearm strict states!

You can turn off automatic emergency braking.
That won’t stop it.

It’s not nearly as bad as it used to be (frequency and intensity) and not a show stopper. It’s just annoying. I wish it wasn’t there but does not stop me from enjoying Autopilot.

95% of the time it’s a 5-10mph drop.

It’s startling (.to you and passengers) when it first happens. But once you realize what it is, and what response to take, you’ll be fine.

I’m not making excuses for Tesla, they should fix it. But it is what it is right now.

one of the oddest concerns I’ve ever read on a tesla forum….worried about getting shot on the freeway because of your tesla. Ok well anyway, I have a 2018 3. It has phantom braked before, but it’s not as common as the attention it gets in forums. It’s never been a “slam on the brakes“ experience and I’ve been able to quickly override it with the accelerator anyhow. i have read that this is caused primarily by false radar input … picking up an overpass or a stationary object not truly in the cars path. And since the newest models no longer have radar that phantom braking is all but gone. Can anyone with the new models confirm/refute?
With all do respect, you are from Ohio. You know nothing about how bad it has become in Los Angeles.
There was new whambammtelsacam video today, last week some clown fired a whole clip into a truck because he got cut off.
It’s become really bad out here. At least one freeway shooting a week. Myself and the OP have every right to be a little alarmed.
You shouldn’t make light of it.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
With all do respect, you are from Ohio. You know nothing about how bad it has become in Los Angeles.
There was new whambammtelsacam video today, last week some clown fired a whole clip into a truck because he got cut off.
It’s become really bad out here. At least one freeway shooting a week. Myself and the OP have every right to be a little alarmed.
You shouldn’t make light of it.
Wasn’t making light of it. I said it was odd. If things are that dangerous and the slightest risk that tapping on the brakes could get you shot, then don’t use TACC. Better yet don’t risk your life driving those routes at all. Seems like you have more important things than deciding what kind of car to buy. Like maybe get the hell out of a war zone.

1. Phantom braking is overblown. If you are paying attention it only takes a half second to override it.
2. Hopefully Tesla minimizes the problem.
3. You will learn when and where it is most likely to occur and you be even more ready to override it (foot on the electron pedal). Happens when slow moving cars on the right side mostly.

Lots of Tesla’s in LA area, and I’ve never heard of PB being an issue of causing someone to think it’s a brake check. I’ve had and used AP all over L.A. on freeways and surface streets (including up and down Adams and Jefferson to get around 10 traffic) for over 3 years without having to worry about that issue. 1) PB does happen but it’s not that often and if it does it’s happening at speed (something that doesn’t happen much during the day in L.A.) 2) You get used to keeping your foot near enough the accelerator pedal to reflex compensate for any PB. In L.A. traffic (heavier than most other cities), PB isn’t an issue at all.

Also, I came from an Acura TL 6-speed manual. 2007 was the 1st year of the type-S for that gen, no?

Reactions: Spuzzz
I have read about ... phantom braking. For those who live in Southern California and know how rowdy things can get on the Wild West freeways out here, I'm afraid of brake checking the wrong car on accident.
Basically the issue you worry seems to be tailgating on freeway.
Try to avoid using the fastest lane, except for passing for a short time.
You will feel more relax and rarely will you have someone tailgating you.

I never experienced phantom braking but it seems on freeway that approaching an overpass
might trigger some false positive, thus provoking some phantom braking.
I only noticed that FSD slowdown when approaching a green traffic light.
A good prevention is keeping your foot on top the accelerator pedal to avoid having your car suddenly slowing down.

On long distance driving, like between LA and SF, most of the freeways have only two lanes, so you don't have too much choice of lanes.
But a FSD feature that I like is the automatic lane change, so if you notice someone tailgating you,
you can just put your turn signal to indicate that you will merge right when possible.
And FSD will then proceed when safe to change lane, so you don't have to keep constantly
your eyes both on the road in front of you and in your rear view mirror.
Putting your signal earlier will prevent someone trying to pass you from the right, something difficult to notice.

Driving an EV, like a Tesla, is so relaxing, you will enjoy it and when needed, you will still have a lot of power, especially with a Performance version.
You don't have any turbo lag or gear shifting, and in curvy roads you will appreciate the four wheel drive instant torque.

Last edited:
I have a model 3 with radar and a model Y without radar. The Y phantom breaks a lot less on me and it is way less intense. When it does it, it seems like the car is letting up on the gas not so much slamming on the breaks. The 3 does it less than it did previously and it is also less intense than it was, but it is more frequent and more jarring than the Y without radar.

With all the PG&E stuff I read in the Tesla Energy forum and wildfires and now what the OP wrote, why would anyone live in California? Obviously joking... kind of.