Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Y or 3 as first T. Worried about Phantom Braking in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone with a radar-less 2021 model tell us whether you’ve experienced phantom braking when using autosteer/tacc?

Hello fellow Buckeye!

I'm one month into ownership of my 2021 M3P, and recently drove to South Carolina. I can confirm that "phantom braking" still exist with radar-less 3's. I'd estimate that it occurred maybe 3-4 times during the whole trip to and back. However, as others have stated, it's easily overcome with the press of the accelerator, and I reckon it's not severe enough (I would think) to aggravate rear traffic. Don't get me wrong, it's annoying, but remember...you're supposed to pay full attention while FSD/AP is in use.

Hope that helps

Hard to say as I don't see phantom braking being the biggest issue with AP, but my Model 3 has radar.

In fact over the last 2000+ miles of traveling with AP I have had any non-maps caused phantom braking event. This is saying a lot as I used to be a complainer about phantom braking.

Now I have turned off things like traffic light/sign response (part of FSD), and NoA (part of FSD).

It also doesn't rule out phantom braking becoming an issue again.

Personally I'd probably go for a non-Tesla EV over a Tesla due to the lack of customer support with Tesla, and inconsistency with build quality.