Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering an MX instead of Model 3 need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive already been invited to configure my Model 3 but am seriously considering the Model X. I see that the current referral program offering unlimited Supercharging on the MX ends on January 31st.

Wondering if that offer might be extended as I wasn’t planning on ordering in the next few days. Going to schedule a test drive in the X to make my decision soon. Looking for advice on the X, pros or cons since my build will be the 75D.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Keep in mind free unlimited supercharging is not really worth all that much if you are capable of charging at home.
Yep. Price difference between a 3 and an X is HUGE.

If the OP has no need for the size and class of vehicle as an X, given its high price and what still seems like a problematic vehicle (esp. the "FWD"), I wouldn't go for an X. "Free" unlimited supercharging isn't nearly enough to make up for the cons if such a large vehicle isn't needed. And, an X is way less efficient than the 3 (Compare Side-by-Side).

Reliability of the 3 is still unknown. I'd be waiting longer to have more bugs worked out if one plans to keep much beyond warranty expiration.

@rcsting - I really have no idea if free supercharging will be offered again or if it will be something like '25 free hours'. Or nothing at all.

You know I love my X (5 seat fold flat configuration inside). The 3 is an amazing car. It really comes down to what size you're looking for..You can't go wrong with either one.

The decision to buy a Model X is an important lifestyle point:

Model X is a far different vehicle from a Model S or a Model 3. Both are sedans, or sports cars if you like.

The Model X is an SUV, almost a full size SUV. It is LARGER and HEAVIER than its little brothers and sisters. But it still has wonderful acceleration and suspension. It sometimes out sports the sports cars.

Test drive the Model X a couple of times before you make your decision. Most of the problems reported in the forums have basically been fixed.

My 1+ year old Model X60D has been a fun experience and virtually problem free but once the newness wears off, you will have a large vehicle in your driveway or squeezed into your garage, you will be using lots more Kwh to keep it charged and you might be unhappy at that.

Personally, I love my X and would not trade it for any other vehicle except a XP100D.

I had a reservation for a 3 thinking it would be cheaper. Until the Trump tax plan switched. As a business owner who uses my X for business mostly, I took advantage of the immediate 100% expensing (100% bonus depreciation) of the X, making it cost me effectively half, and even less than a 3!!

Because the X weighs more than 6000 lbs GVWR it qualifies for this special immediate deduction under Section 179. If you're a business owner, consider it after talking to accountant! Proportion of deduction is based on percent documented business use. Talk to me (send a PM and we can chat) about my experience. Happy to help!

I had a reservation for a 3 thinking it would be cheaper. Until the Trump tax plan switched. As a business owner who uses my X for business mostly, I took advantage of the immediate 100% expensing (100% bonus depreciation) of the X, making it cost me effectively half, and even less than a 3!!

Because the X weighs more than 6000 lbs GVWR it qualifies for this special immediate deduction under Section 179. If you're a business owner, consider it after talking to accountant! Proportion of deduction is based on percent documented business use. Talk to me (send a PM and we can chat) about my experience. Happy to help!

Not really...and pretty much the only people who could possibly have "100%" business use are pharmacy reps going door to door. You do realize going to your office and back home doesn't count and reduces your "100%" business use, right?

Not really...and pretty much the only people who could possibly have "100%" business use are pharmacy reps going door to door. You do realize going to your office and back home doesn't count and reduces your "100%" business use, right?

@GayForEllon Love your screen name. You take delivery end of year, keep personal car, and for the last remaining days of the year actually use it ONLY for business. If you're self employed with a home-based buiness and no permanent office, going to various clients from home is business mileage. Drug reps count UNLESS they're reimbursed by their company. Confirmed with tax lawyer and accountant. You have to play by the rules and have these documented.

I did exactly this, had two model 3's reserved (waiter in line at Rocklin store) but also had a time issue due to our daughter getting her drivers license around Jan 1st. Canceled one reservation but keeping the 2nd just because.

We had seen the model 3 in person and test driven the model S multiple times and the X at least once. We knew that if Price was no issue we wanted an X, I like the space and it's so much easier to get in and out of than an S and I would assume a 3 also.

We have a 75d and live in the foothills, range isn't an issue. You will have even less of an issue living in Sacramento.

If you have driven a Model S and liked it then you will like the X also. It's less of a difference imo than it is from any other brand sedan to SUV, the X to me is more like a big car.

Took a couple weeks after our order to get over the sticker shock but no regrets since taking delivery late December.

Looks like we made the right choice because of the model 3 delays, could have been months of borrowing or renting cars to get by.

Reactions: rcsting
We just got a X 75D before last Xmas. We have 2 kids and sometimes in-laws to carry so a bigger car is a must for us

We really love it.

However, like my wife said. its like marrying a beautiful wife you love. only a few days of marriage, you found out quite a bit things don't work out. you just have to learn to live with her.

here are the issues we have so far only a month of ownership. Most of them are temperature related i believe. it shouldn't apply to you. just be prepared something might pop up as a surprise.
1. Power window failed on passenger side (fixed by Mobile service after a week)
2. range is about half project in freezing temperature.
3. rattling sound from seats and sun shade
4. driver side door can't be opened or closed properly due to window can't come down, it fixed itself after we parked in garage.
5. have warning msg pop up for limited cooling after parked outside in cold for a few hours and fixed itself after charging.

I am a big Tesla fan and definitely do not regret to get the X. Just wish they are more reliable or at least SC is within 20mins drive.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX and cwerdna
We started with an X and now added the 3. The 3 is fun to drive, great for taking kids to school. But for long trips, the extra space really helps. Our kids are 4 and 6 and I already feel the need for more room, even in the X, with all the various luggage/toys/games/bikes, etc. I couldn't imagine taking any road trip in the 3 unless it was just me and the wife.

Referral program has been extended by 3 months, and still includes free supercharging. Now also a $500 for the first friend you refer.

Those two cars almost don't compare at all though. It's a pro's and con's game. Tesla Model 3 will even have more range despite it's price point. These were my reasons to go from S to X, and the same goes when comparing to Model 3:

- More spacious
- Huge windshield
- The doors
- Better people mover
- Tow bar

Love the doors Model X has and no other cars can compare.
New referral program just came out. You can still get unlimited supercharging and an extra $500 credit towards service or accessories. I bet Tesla couldn't cancel free unlimited supercharging for Model S and Model X because there should be enough difference between them and Model 3. Let me know if you want to refer. I will give you a Tesla Wall connector as a gift.

Love the doors Model X has and no other cars can compare.
New referral program just came out. You can still get unlimited supercharging and an extra $500 credit towards service or accessories. I bet Tesla couldn't cancel free unlimited supercharging for Model S and Model X because there should be enough difference between them and Model 3. Let me know if you want to refer. I will give you a Tesla Wall connector as a gift.

Probably more likely that the Model 3 ramp up has been slow and they need to push for more S/X sales.