Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering canceling due to size, lack of sunroof, and lack of power lift gate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

I'm an existing Model S and original Roadster owner in Phoenix, AZ. I have a day 1 online reservation for a Model 3. The intention was to get the Model 3 for my wife since she prefers to drive a smaller car. However, as compared to the Model S, it looks like the Model 3 is about the same width and 1 foot shorter. The former won't be noticeable, but the latter will - although we were hoping for more size differential from the Model S.

We're also having some reservations because we use the sunroof on our Model S's - a lot - pretty much every chance we get. The Model S sunscreens on the pano roof are also effective during the hot summers here in Phoenix. However, I had a Model X loaner over the summer and I was not impressed with the all glass roof and the sunshade just looked awkward. We'd also miss the lack of power lift gate.

We currently have a 2012 MS P85, 2013 MS 85, and 2010 Roadster. The Model 3 was supposed to replace the 2013 MS 85, but we rarely drive on the highway don't really need autopilot. Our cars are paid off and we're pretty content with them, so I'm hesitant to pay additional money for features we don't really need (AP) and lose features we really appreciate and use (sunroof and lift gate) for a marginally smaller car and a glass roof for which my initial impressions in the Model X were not favorable.

Can any current Model 3 owners share some thoughts and experiences on these concerns? We're thinking of canceling our reservation, which I have in the meantime opted for the AWD option to buy us more time to consider things.

Reactions: Lunarx
If those features are deal breakers for you, it sounds like you just need to play the "wait and see" game on the Model 3. Who knows, maybe in a few years when they've gone through the wait list and the competition gets serious, those features will become available.

Reactions: Lunarx
Definitely going to come down to personal preference and priorities. If you are patient, you will likely end up with exactly the configuration you want, including the sunroof and presumably power lift.

The sunroof and AWD are a priority for me, and so is a heated steering wheel and power lift, but I will be getting what is offered now to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit. I have an S that will be coming off lease next year, so with a little luck, and if I’m happy with the 3 as a trip car, I will get those things I’m missing on this car, when I replace the S. Having a second bite at the apple makes it easier to accept not getting it exactly how I want it now.

Yes, I’m spending good money for a car that is not my ideal, but it is 90% of the way there and at the price point due to the tax credit, was too good to pass up. If I didn’t have the S coming off lease, I might have made a different decision, but this will also be a good test to see how valuable AWD really is (I have it on my S) and how much I still want a sunroof.

I don't have a Model 3, but I've been watching all the YouTube vids and reading the forums. It seems like with Model 3 you will:

GAIN:
- Shiniest newest most up-to-date Tesla toy
- More fun car to drive, sporty, excellent handling
- Autopilot 2.5 Hardware and for you, autopilot software (over your 2013 S)
- $7,500 tax cred (doesn't mean much if you're not happy with your purchase)
- Little things like hanger hooks, grocery bag hooks in frunk, door pockets, lighted visor mirrors, center console storage, etc
- Smooth UI/UX, nicer screen, faster processor
- In-tune road feel/stiffer suspension (can be gain or loss depending on preference)
- More energy efficient and more range
- More visibility

LOSE:
- Pano sunroof
- Trunk/frunk space
- Power liftgate
- Smooth/luxury ride
- Seat comfort (debatable)
- Rearview camera resolution (debatable/fixable with software update)
- Free supercharging (although it doesn't sound like you use it much?)
- Auto-presenting handles (some love it, some don't love its break-down issues)

This is obviously not a comprehensive list, but it seems like for you, things in the GAIN column do not outweigh the LOSE column. Things are weighted differently by people depending on their wants/needs. There'd be no point dropping $50K+ (without autopilot option on M3) on a car that you won't really be happy with. On the other hand, you still have another S so you can get the best of both worlds. If I was in your exact position, I'd wait for the AWD/air susp version of the M3 and hope with time they may add something you want and if not, then at least you've got a few months to really consider the decision whether you want to keep your reservation or refund it.

Definitely going to come down to personal preference and priorities. If you are patient, you will likely end up with exactly the configuration you want, including the sunroof and presumably power lift.

The sunroof and AWD are a priority for me, and so is a heated steering wheel and power lift, but I will be getting what is offered now to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit. I have an S that will be coming off lease next year, so with a little luck, and if I’m happy with the 3 as a trip car, I will get those things I’m missing on this car, when I replace the S. Having a second bite at the apple makes it easier to accept not getting it exactly how I want it now.

Yes, I’m spending good money for a car that is not my ideal, but it is 90% of the way there and at the price point due to the tax credit, was too good to pass up. If I didn’t have the S coming off lease, I might have made a different decision, but this will also be a good test to see how valuable AWD really is (I have it on my S) and how much I still want a sunroof.
AWD helps you start, but does not help you stop- limited value. Powerlift - I doubt, but here's DYI DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video Hopefully, they'll add M3 to the list soon.
After years of having sunroof on my cars and only using few times, I'm totally ok with not having one in M3, but this could be more important to you.

Last edited:
I was going to wait for a sunroof, AWD, etc before trading in my 2013, but after an unfortunate accident that totaled my S, I pulled the trigger on a 3 now.

I don't exactly miss the power liftgate but I do miss the trunk having a spring open. A lot of prior sedans I have owned had some spring force so that when it unlocked, it opened on its own. I could pop the trunk with groceries in hand and load them right in. Now I have to keep a hand clear to open it. I have no idea if this issue will ever be changed on the 3. I doubt it will get a power trunk, that would be unusual in a sedan.

I find the 3 is noticeably narrower than the S. It makes for more room between the S and the 3 in our garage vs the two S's. That is very handy.

I will miss the pano roof once the weather gets nice, but I won't miss the leaks and trouble I had with it. There are not buffet issues with the windows rolled down in the 3, so that is nice and a minor substitute for the missing roof.

I miss having more buttons/stalks. Stabbing at the screen to adjust the cruise speed windshield wipers, etc is not fun. Digging into a menu to fold/unfold the mirrors, etc. But I have hopes that some of that stuff might be migrated to the scroll wheels eventually.

I gained lots of things I wasn't expecting: door pockets, awesome storage spots in the center console, sun visors that EXTEND! A lit vanity mirror, and a seatbelt height adjustment, etc. My husband thinks the interior is nicer than his S.

Overall, I love my 3, and I don't feel like I am missing out at all by pulling the trigger earlier than planned.

I don't have a Model 3, but I've been watching all the YouTube vids and reading the forums. It seems like with Model 3 you will:

GAIN:
- Shiniest newest most up-to-date Tesla toy
- More fun car to drive, sporty, excellent handling
- Autopilot 2.5 Hardware and for you, autopilot software (over your 2013 S)
- $7,500 tax cred (doesn't mean much if you're not happy with your purchase)
- Little things like hanger hooks, grocery bag hooks in frunk, door pockets, lighted visor mirrors, center console storage, etc
- Smooth UI/UX, nicer screen, faster processor
- In-tune road feel/stiffer suspension (can be gain or loss depending on preference)
- More energy efficient and more range
- More visibility

LOSE:
- Pano sunroof
- Trunk/frunk space
- Power liftgate
- Smooth/luxury ride
- Seat comfort (debatable)
- Rearview camera resolution (debatable/fixable with software update)
- Free supercharging (although it doesn't sound like you use it much?)
- Auto-presenting handles (some love it, some don't love its break-down issues)

This is obviously not a comprehensive list, but it seems like for you, things in the GAIN column do not outweigh the LOSE column. Things are weighted differently by people depending on their wants/needs. There'd be no point dropping $50K+ (without autopilot option on M3) on a car that you won't really be happy with. On the other hand, you still have another S so you can get the best of both worlds. If I was in your exact position, I'd wait for the AWD/air susp version of the M3 and hope with time they may add something you want and if not, then at least you've got a few months to really consider the decision whether you want to keep your reservation or refund it.

Under LOSE you forgot "New vehicle bugs". And, there are lot of them. I already saw 2 Model 3s at my local SC getting serviced. One of the guys was going all over his issues with the manager while I was waiting. There are a lot of issues they have yet to solve (but coming out with software updates). Then there are the hardware issues they can't solve with software updates.

Now to the OP, it sounds like the Model 3 does not work for you. Why even bother getting a car that doesn't fit your needs at this time? If you were coming from an ICE then maybe you can accept those concerns. Since you already have a S it just doesn't make sense.

Are powered trunk lids a thing? I don't really follow the new car scene to necessarily know about newer convenience features, but I can't think of anyone I know that has a car with a powered trunk lid. In any case, it seems very unlikely to me that Tesla would add this any time soon, if ever.

Are powered trunk lids a thing? I don't really follow the new car scene to necessarily know about newer convenience features, but I can't think of anyone I know that has a car with a powered trunk lid. In any case, it seems very unlikely to me that Tesla would add this any time soon, if ever.
Yes, I never quite understood why people were expecting a powered trunk lid or wanting one. It's a trunk lid, not a hatch. It is relatively light and small in size. A hatch is significantly heavier and much larger, where I can see being powered being a desirable thing.

I'm not aware of any powered trunk lid opening. I know some cars in the past (and maybe still do) have a soft close feature, where you bring the lid down and then it latches automatically, but not power opening.

Also OP, I believe opening sunroof will be an option at some point, but no timeframe known.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
Until my Model 3 arrives I'm driving a Toyota 2001 Avalon XLS, their top of the line back then, and when you click the trunk button on the fob it releases the trunk latch and the lid lifts up a small amount so that you can insert your hand and raise it. It is a nice little feature. But as far as the OP's concern about the Model 3, as mentioned it's not a hatchback so there's no liftgate with heavy window, just a rather minimal trunk lid. Apart from fingerprints on the car's body opening it, I don't think the weight of it will be a problem. Can't say I've ever heard anyone mention it to be one so far.

I'm also a fan of the sunroof on our Model S and like SAS for our driveway/speed bumps around town. Still debating if I want to wait it out for the AWD version and the SAS. I'm kind of hoping among the optional PUP items they might include a sunroof option. OP I think holding your reservation and passing on it is smart at this juncture from what you've expressed. Unless your situation changes with your other cars, why not if the federal tax credit doesn't really factor heavily into your decision.

They are a godsend for minivans, let me tell you.

That said, I agree that they are uncommon to rare for sedans.

Regarding the glass roof, we have a Model S and a Model 3, and I've sat in my sister's Model X. The 3's windshield is conventional and has normal sun visors. Separate from the glass room, it's NOT a single piece of glass from the front of the windshield right back over the room like the Model X... I agree with you that sweeping full glass thing is really awkward. The roof being glass on the 3 is nice and makes the inside feel more airy. I agree sunroof would be nice, but definitely wasn't a deal killer for us.

Reactions: SmartElectric
They are a godsend for minivans, let me tell you.

Minivans don't have trunk lids at all, so they definitely can't have powered ones. ;)
I was asking specifically about powered trunk lids, not hatch backs or lift gates, since the Model 3 has a trunk.

That said, I agree that they are uncommon to rare for sedans.

That's what I'm asking about: powered trunk lids. Are there any? I honestly don't know.

My 10 E63 had a Power Close button.
Also, it opened slightly or maybey even all the way, when released via the Fob or Latch Button.
I can see the elegance of Power Close and the new Handless Open (that some new SUV have), even on a Sedan.

I agree with this. I've never seen a powered trunk and I'd be very surprised if Tesla offered one for the 3.

Yes, I never quite understood why people were expecting a powered trunk lid or wanting one. It's a trunk lid, not a hatch. It is relatively light and small in size. A hatch is significantly heavier and much larger, where I can see being powered being a desirable thing.

I'm not aware of any powered trunk lid opening. I know some cars in the past (and maybe still do) have a soft close feature, where you bring the lid down and then it latches automatically, but not power opening.

Also OP, I believe opening sunroof will be an option at some point, but no timeframe known.

Not that I agree/disagree whether the M3 should have it, my 2012 BMW 550i had an automatic powered trunk lid. And if you were to manually close it, it would auto latch (so you don't have to slam it close). I guess similar to the doors on this car that had the soft close. I WILL say it was a handy feature but I wouldn't opt out from buying a car just because it didn't have that option.

My BMW has a "spring loaded" trunk. If you press the button on the keyfob, or wave your foot under the rear bumper with the key in your pocket, or press the physical trunk release button, the trunk springs up. You still have to manually close it, but that's not the point.

While this might seem "dumb" to you it is invaluable when you are approaching the car with bags of groceries or a package you need to load.

It is a great feature and I'm disappointed to discover that Tesla has skimped on yet another thing that the competition has that would have cost them nearly nothing to deliver.