Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shipping the other one back tomorrow and have just ordered the one above instead.
Page I ordered from: Rear Bumper Guard - Bumper Shield Magnum | Receiver Hitch Step that helps eliminate rear end collision damage | shock absorbing hitch step | Superbumper | Bumper Shield
I emailed the company and the owner got back to me with this:

This is what I ordered. It looks very well built but I have not received my Model X yet so can't test it for now. I'll probably add 3M Scotchcal Reflective on it so it is more visible in the dark

This is what I ordered. It looks very well built but I have not received my Model X yet so can't test it for now. I'll probably add 3M Scotchcal Reflective on it so it is more visible in the dark
I will take some pictures and post them. I missed a sentence when I quoted him:
"Personally I prefer the Bumper Shield Magnum on the Tesla Model X because you can flip it over to cover more of the Bumper cover because the shank is off set slightly. "
I'll try it both ways.

In regards to the reflective tape ... that is interesting and something I didn't consider. Have you reviewed some of the 'articles' on their page and one, in particular, is that people get desensitized to additional brake lights and such. They are distracted by other things and often are not even braking when you get hit. I haven't crossed check it official stats but I've read similar things before.
Why Lighted Hitch Steps And Hitch Covers Don’t Work… | Receiver Hitch Step that helps eliminate rear end collision damage | shock absorbing hitch step | Superbumper | Bumper Shield

I will take some pictures and post them. I missed a sentence when I quoted him:
"Personally I prefer the Bumper Shield Magnum on the Tesla Model X because you can flip it over to cover more of the Bumper cover because the shank is off set slightly. "
I'll try it both ways.

In regards to the reflective tape ... that is interesting and something I didn't consider. Have you reviewed some of the 'articles' on their page and one, in particular, is that people get desensitized to additional brake lights and such. They are distracted by other things and often are not even braking when you get hit. I haven't crossed check it official stats but I've read similar things before.
Why Lighted Hitch Steps And Hitch Covers Don’t Work… | Receiver Hitch Step that helps eliminate rear end collision damage | shock absorbing hitch step | Superbumper | Bumper Shield

I had not seen the article but I worked at an airport and we would joke that there were so many LCD monitors that people would better notice a handwritten note on a sheet of paper so I am not surprised. This is why I feel like reflective tape might attract the attention more than brake lights since we don't see them as often on the road and the "flashing" might attract the attention

I received this today and installed it.

fVS32Nl.jpg

mg62F2L.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: xAgyex and TaoJones
Holy crap! :eek: That looks like a serious bumper protector. Looks like something designed by Hannibal, B.A., Face and Murdock! ;)
LOL, loved the reference.

This is one of them that compresses as well. Note the round rubber and internal springs I think.

A funny thing was that the cardboard box it came in was 100% covered in clear tape AND it had a little FRAGILE sticker on the top of it. The box was not light. I'm sure the handlers of the shipping box were like they are shipping a box of rocks and want us to treat it gently!

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and vandacca
Hey ScottF200, So - been two weeks with the new bumper guard - thoughts? Thanks!!
I'm a fan. I think it blends in fine from the back. I almost always walk around the back to unplug the charging cord after I open my garage door and have not had any issue running into it. It sticks out less than others.
I do have to park a little farther in my garage, obviously, but I have a laser light displayed on the dash as I pull in close so it is easy for me to get precise and leave max room up front.
I took it off this weekend to use another hitch for transporting something and it was fast and easy. I have a locking pin with a key. If you never need to remove it you can follow the directions that came with to cinch it up and put a regular pin it. The internal rubber compresses some and 'locks' the pin so it cannot easily (without recinching) it off. I would buy it again.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
I'm a fan. I think it blends in fine from the back. I almost always walk around the back to unplug the charging cord after I open my garage door and have not had any issue running into it. It sticks out less than others.
I do have to park a little farther in my garage, obviously, but I have a laser light displayed on the dash as I pull in close so it is easy for me to get precise and leave max room up front.
I took it off this weekend to use another hitch for transporting something and it was fast and easy. I have a locking pin with a key. If you never need to remove it you can follow the directions that came with to cinch it up and put a regular pin it. The internal rubber compresses some and 'locks' the pin so it cannot easily (without recinching) it off. I would buy it again.
Thank you for the detailed summary, that's the direction I'll go!.

Reactions: scottf200
Hey, Scott this looks very interesting but, unless I missed it, I didn't see who/where you bought it from. Would you mind sending that info?

Sorry for any confusion. Here is the post with the link and the comments from the company owner. HTH!
Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light
I've had one of the super bumper.com flat plate compressive ones on my subaru forester for the past 2 years and love the idea of protection from minor rear ending that otherwise would be an expensive mess. Was planing on transferring it to my new tesla MY when it arrives. 2 questions I've had are (1) will it interfere with sensors? Thanks for the info above that it does not on the MX (2) is the tow hitch on the MY so low that most rear end hits would be above the super bumper?