Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering HPWC for 2016 Model X P90D over NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markusc

May 26, 2018
WA
Hi everyone,

In the midst of moving into a new home and it's time to get charging installed. I've traditionally just used a 220V and the mobile charger but there's a good chance that I may get a Model 3 for a dual Tesla household. Considering getting the HPWC (Wall Charger) but it's not been clear if my car will get faster charging with a wall charger over a NEMA 14-50. It's definitely nicer looking and more convenient but ultimately, I want to know if it'll be faster if I get it hooked up on a 80 or 100 Amp circuit. It's not clear if Model Xs allow for faster charging like the Model S Dual Charger option. I have the super charge option (it was default) but don't know I got any upgrade for faster home charging. Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of HPWC?

Thanks in advance.

Does your car have a 48A or 72A charger is the question. Even on a 60A circuit, the Wall connector will charge your car faster than a standard mobile connector.

But like you said, if you are a dual Tesla household, the wall connector makes sense because you can daisy chain them on one circuit, potentially saving on installation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
How do I know if my Model X is a 48A or 72A charger? If it's 72A, what option should I be seeing on my order agreement?

Assuming it's just the standard 48A, the HPWC will still be better than a plug but gives better optionality for a dual Tesla household?

Thanks

What model is it? The 100’s (recently) have the 72 amp charger.

And if you have two cars, you can run two HPWCs off one circuit. The best use of a large circuit is to share it between two HPWCs so the car that needs the power can get it.

Edit, saw the title lol... 2016 90 may have the old chargers, I believe. Single or optional double charger? Did all P’s come with double chargers then?

How do I know if my Model X is a 48A or 72A charger? If it's 72A, what option should I be seeing on my order agreement?

Assuming it's just the standard 48A, the HPWC will still be better than a plug but gives better optionality for a dual Tesla household?

Thanks

check your order agreement if it says "high amperage charger upgrade" but maybe the P-models came with it standard. check the window sticker.

and yes, 48A is still better than the 40A max you get from a NEMA 14-50

Hi everyone,

In the midst of moving into a new home and it's time to get charging installed. I've traditionally just used a 220V and the mobile charger but there's a good chance that I may get a Model 3 for a dual Tesla household. Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of HPWC?

Thanks in advance.

If you have the capability, just get either 1 or 2 high current circuits installed in the garage. You may only use a 14-50 today, but what about tomorrow? It's a lot easier to change an outlet or add a HPWC once the right wires are in place.

For almost all drivers, a 14-50 outlet provides more than enough power to fully recharge (going between 10-90%) overnight.

The only reason why you need to go above 40A is if you drive during the day - need to quickly recharge during the day - and then continue driving later in the day.

We did this a few times in 2013 when we first got our S P85, which was before the supercharger network - and we had to build up enough charge to (barely) get to our destination.

A Model 3 will have a smaller battery than an S or X (the LR is evidently a 75), which also lowers the need for charging above 40A.

If you're going to wire a new house, you can do what we did. The breaker panel is in our garage. We ran a short 100A line to an HPWC next to the panel - and then a 50A line to the other side of the garage for a 14-50 outlet.

However, you can save some $$$ by just running 50A circuits and using 14-50 outlets - which should be enough to handle overnight charging, even for 100 battery packs.

Now, if Tesla (or any other EV manufacturer) starts producing cars with larger battery packs (such as the Roadster 2.0 with a 200), then you may want to have a 100A circuit to get a full charge overnight... Though even with that, you really don't need 200 Whr of charge to do daily driving at normal speeds...

We’re just working through what charger to install. The key point about the TWC is not that they can share a circuit. The key point is that (configured correctly) they can load balance the circuit. That is: two vehicles plugged into two TWC chargers on the same circuit and properly configured can share th circuit without overloading the circuit. Right now (6/2018) I can’t identify any other charger that can do this.

The key point about the TWC is not that they can share a circuit. The key point is that (configured correctly) they can load balance the circuit.
Those are similar terms for the same thing.
Right now (6/2018) I can’t identify any other charger that can do this.
Clipper Creek has had these for a year or two. It's the ones marked with the "Share2" feature. For a pair of them for 40A circuits, they are $1,498, though, so they are pretty pricey compared to Tesla's wall connectors. Clipper Creek also has Share2 versions of some of their other higher powered units.
32A Level 2 EVSE Share2® HCS-40 Bundle| ClipperCreek