Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Model S 2017 75 RWD... any help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at getting a used Tesla directly from Tesla with the 4 year extended warranty (and the remaining of the 8 years for battery/power train). I am coming from a 2018 LR RWD 3. Anything I should look for or know about for this year and model? I know they integrated the center console and halfway thru the year increased the 0-60 time. The car has under 35K miles, glass roof, premium lights and power lift gate. Thanks in advance!

The power increase or "uncorking" was only for the 75D so the RWD will not have that. Mine has 65k miles and is still going strong. No issues other than minor cosmetic or rattles which were all taken care of under warranty. It'll be eligible for the FSD and MCU2.0 upgrade should you choose to do so.

Also with only one motor if it does happen to go out then there's no backup motor to get you where you need to be. If I could go back and change one thing about my purchase would have been to at least pony up for the dual motor.

2017 was a pretty good year for Tesla. The only thing is that 2017 still had MCU1, which means the center screen is super slow and the memory wears out and the whole thing just croaks. Ideally, I'd budget for the Infotainment Upgrade if I were buying that year of car.

It has FSD but yes I will have to shell out 2.5K at some point for MCU2 so it equal to what the 3 had. Thanks!

Reactions: Gt1948
The power increase or "uncorking" was only for the 75D so the RWD will not have that. Mine has 65k miles and is still going strong. No issues other than minor cosmetic or rattles which were all taken care of under warranty. It'll be eligible for the FSD and MCU2.0 upgrade should you choose to do so.

Also with only one motor if it does happen to go out then there's no backup motor to get you where you need to be. If I could go back and change one thing about my purchase would have been to at least pony up for the dual motor.

Thanks to the info. It does have FSD which will be nice but yes I will have to shell out 2.5K. I had RWD on the 3 and that part never bugged me. Thanks for the info on the uncorked and only being for dual motors.

The power increase or "uncorking" was only for the 75D so the RWD will not have that.
This is not true. RWD 75s that left the factory after ~July 2017 had a reduced 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds. There aren’t a ton of them out there as the RWD 75 went away shortly thereafter in September, but they do exist. Earlier cars were 5.5 sec 0-60.

I have a Dec 2016 S75. 110,000 miles. It’s been a great, reliable car.

Last edited:
I charge at home and we usually take my wife’s SUV if we go on road trips.

I take my S75 on road trips. Never been interested in road tripping before getting this car. Have taken from So Cal to Washington state twice...one of those times going up to Vancouver CA. Also did a 2k mile CA National Park road trip that took it through Sequoia, then west to the coast to follow PCH up to San Fran, then east to Tahoe, down to Yosemite then Mammoth Lakes and then back home. Sure I had to make some considerations due to the lower range, but charging times were never a problem.

I take my S75 on road trips. Never been interested in road tripping before getting this car. Have taken from So Cal to Washington state twice...one of those times going up to Vancouver CA. Also did a 2k mile CA National Park road trip that took it through Sequoia, then west to the coast to follow PCH up to San Fran, then east to Tahoe, down to Yosemite then Mammoth Lakes and then back home. Sure I had to make some considerations due to the lower range, but charging times were never a problem.
Agree. We’ve traveled all over the West in our 75. Great road trip car.

• Informative
Reactions: N8Howell33
I have a Jan, 2017 Model S 75 RWD. MCU1 but purchased FSD so I have HW3 installed.

Pros:
- free supercharging
- its a Tesla so the car still runs great
- not that much maintenance so far. I have almost 40k miles right now. at 90% charge I get around 205 miles and 100% 224mi)
- I still have the sun/moon roof, ventilated seats

Cons:
- MCU: I would have to say that is the only downside with my car. the MCU1 is just too slow to process some things. even with HW3 installed - some visual will not be displayed like cones and trashcans. unless you're willing to shell out $2500 and get the full experience

• Informative
I have a Jan, 2017 Model S 75 RWD. MCU1 but purchased FSD so I have HW3 installed.

Pros:
- free supercharging
- its a Tesla so the car still runs great
- not that much maintenance so far. I have almost 40k miles right now. at 90% charge I get around 205 miles and 100% 224mi)
- I still have the sun/moon roof, ventilated seats

Cons:
- MCU: I would have to say that is the only downside with my car. the MCU1 is just too slow to process some things. even with HW3 installed - some visual will not be displayed like cones and trashcans. unless you're willing to shell out $2500 and get the full experience
Thanks, that is very helpful. Most of them are about 30-40K miles so that is perfect to know the range.

That is what I read. Thankfully I only supercharged a whole 5 times in 3 years. I charge at home and we usually take my wife’s SUV if we go on road trips. Thanks for the info though
The S is much larger compared to the 3, so would not be surprised when you change your mind about that.

Also a personal matter of taste, but I do prefer the RWD over the D. More fun to drive and no whining from the front drive unit.

Pretty sur you will not regret it.

I got a Sept '17 RWD Model S. Probably one of the last ones made. Definitely has the power boost of 4.2 sec 0-60. Got the MCU2 upgrade and it still feels like a new car. ~60k miles now. Do wish I had more range to go to more isolated places away from chargers, but I feel stopping every ~2 hours to supercharge is more ideal for longer road trips. I feel way more relaxed throughout the whole drive. I do believe the supercharging speed has increased since I bought it and is faster. The highest I've seen is ~125kW. I live in CO, so with proper winter tires in the winter it handles like a champ. AWD would be ideal but it still does great.