Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Model S 2017 75 RWD... any help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little OT but im looking to get a 2017/18 100D. Anyone know the caps at 250 or 150 kw chargers?

Looking for the same. Haven't gotten a clear answer yet on charging.

As for 2017 MS in the year...about mid-late 2017 and into 2018 (I think), some of the options started being reduced. Obvious one was the sun roof, but a subtle one is color combinations/options for interior. https://tesla-info.com/car/US-<vin> may also help list everything a car has if you have the VIN. Helped me see the differences in vehicles I was interested in at the time. I ended up with a Dec 2017 build.

Reactions: N8Howell33
This is not true. RWD 75s that left the factory after ~July 2017 had a reduced 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds. There aren’t a ton of them out there as the RWD 75 went away shortly thereafter in September, but they do exist. Earlier cars were 5.5 sec 0-60.

I have a Dec 2016 S75. 110,000 miles. It’s been a great, reliable car.
Yes, mine is one of those (October 2017):

upload_2020-10-9_18-12-44.png

Agree with all the comments, it's a great car! Bought mine from a Ford dealer in June at 40k miles. 100% charge is 219-221 for me. Got the upgrade to HW3 and MCU1 now officially sucks. In fact, I was scheduled for my MCU2 upgrade on Monday but Tesla just cancelled the appointment for lack of parts. Oh well, it's all good...for me, the S75 2017 with FSD was a real sweet spot of price, performance and options. Enjoy!

• Informative
Yes, mine is one of those (October 2017):

View attachment 597059

Agree with all the comments, it's a great car! Bought mine from a Ford dealer in June at 40k miles. 100% charge is 219-221 for me. Got the upgrade to HW3 and MCU1 now officially sucks. In fact, I was scheduled for my MCU2 upgrade on Monday but Tesla just cancelled the appointment for lack of parts. Oh well, it's all good...for me, the S75 2017 with FSD was a real sweet spot of price, performance and options. Enjoy!

Glad to hear this. It seems like the sweet spot for me as well. The ones I’m looking at are around that mileage as well. So I’ll hope for around 220ish then for 100%.

This is not true. RWD 75s that left the factory after ~July 2017 had a reduced 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds. There aren’t a ton of them out there as the RWD 75 went away shortly thereafter in September, but they do exist. Earlier cars were 5.5 sec 0-60.

I have a Dec 2016 S75. 110,000 miles. It’s been a great, reliable car.
Dec 2017 RWD 75 much faster than earlier models.

Glad to hear this. It seems like the sweet spot for me as well. The ones I’m looking at are around that mileage as well. So I’ll hope for around 220ish then for 100%.

I forgot to mention....I narrowed my search to August 2017 production and later only for these reasons (as well as the 4.3sec 0-60):

1. Improved rear seat design
2. Upgraded radar = more forward visibility for Autopilot (not a lot but worth noting)
3. Upgraded side pillar cameras to full RGB (better for Sentry mode and other applications?)

Collectively, I felt all four of these improvements were worth the tradeoff of a much smaller pool of potential candidates (since the S75 RWD was discontinued in the fall of 2017). Good luck....for me the shopping was a good part of the fun...but nothing compared to the feeling of disbelief that I finally own a Tesla!

I forgot to mention....I narrowed my search to August 2017 production and later only for these reasons (as well as the 4.3sec 0-60):

1. Improved rear seat design
2. Upgraded radar = more forward visibility for Autopilot (not a lot but worth noting)
3. Upgraded side pillar cameras to full RGB (better for Sentry mode and other applications?)

Collectively, I felt all four of these improvements were worth the tradeoff of a much smaller pool of potential candidates (since the S75 RWD was discontinued in the fall of 2017). Good luck....for me the shopping was a good part of the fun...but nothing compared to the feeling of disbelief that I finally own a Tesla!
Thanks, yes I am looking at August and beyond now. Did you happen to get a sunroof? Trying to decide between that or glass (which I am use to as I had a model 3 first)

Did you happen to get a sunroof? Trying to decide between that or glass (which I am use to as I had a model 3 first)

Never had the sunroof, but once when I took my car in to get a rattle taken care of the tech commented that I had an "ideal" spec in his mind with the cloth seats and glass roof. When I asked why not the sunroof he indicated they got a lot of those in for service for leaking.

Personally I like the glass not being interrupted by the bar connecting the B pillars that's needed for the sunroof.

Never had the sunroof, but once when I took my car in to get a rattle taken care of the tech commented that I had an "ideal" spec in his mind with the cloth seats and glass roof. When I asked why not the sunroof he indicated they got a lot of those in for service for leaking.

Personally I like the glass not being interrupted by the bar connecting the B pillars that's needed for the sunroof.

x2!!. I had what I thought was ALMOST the perfect car in my sights, a late 2017 MS75 with all the options, textile seats (which I love as they stay cool and I think they will hold up better), EXCEPT it had a sunroof which I didn't want due to the pillar and potential noise/maintenance. Glad I held out, because I do love that glass roof....but I "gave up" all the options (Ultra audio, cold weather and HEPA - but since added the HEPA for $500). I honestly drove myself crazy shopping online, but came to the realization that if you can get most of what you want at a decent price in a used car, it's all good....particularly with a Tesla with FSD and MCU2, where you can basically for $40-50k be driving something that's very close to the 2020 model at half the cost (and for me there's no value proposition in paying $40k or more for 150 miles more range).

N8hHowell33, you've probably figured out we're all saying much the same thing - a 2017 MS75 is a really good buy in 2020!

I originally had a Jun 2017 made MS75, and loved it. Due to some issues, Tesla replaced it with the identical Aug 2017 produced MS75 which is the vehicle I have now with 40k miles. The uncorking on the second car (4.3s 0-60) makes a *huge*, noticeable difference, and I love the car. Unfortunately, I was right before the AP2.5 hardware in September, so I can't do dash cam.

Last month, I did a 1-week road trip from SF to Austin. The free supercharging was awesome. The range between charging stops was a bummer. Especially between some superchargers in northern Texas, when I happened to be driving at night through a huge wind storm (22-28 MPH constant head-on wind) and had some big range anxiety for a few hours.

But that said, for a daily driver, this car is still amazing! For road trips, 400+ miles would make a huge difference.

Now that they just dropped MS100D pricing down to $69,420, I am seriously considering trading in my 2017 for a new MS100D. My trade-in value from Tesla is $38k. There are enough pluses and minuses that it's a close call.

I originally had a Jun 2017 made MS75, and loved it. Due to some issues, Tesla replaced it with the identical Aug 2017 produced MS75 which is the vehicle I have now with 40k miles. The uncorking on the second car (4.3s 0-60) makes a *huge*, noticeable difference, and I love the car. Unfortunately, I was right before the AP2.5 hardware in September, so I can't do dash cam.

Last month, I did a 1-week road trip from SF to Austin. The free supercharging was awesome. The range between charging stops was a bummer. Especially between some superchargers in northern Texas, when I happened to be driving at night through a huge wind storm (22-28 MPH constant head-on wind) and had some big range anxiety for a few hours.

But that said, for a daily driver, this car is still amazing! For road trips, 400+ miles would make a huge difference.

Now that they just dropped MS100D pricing down to $69,420, I am seriously considering trading in my 2017 for a new MS100D. My trade-in value from Tesla is $38k. There are enough pluses and minuses that it's a close call.
I ended up ordering a sept 2017 build (used) that is uncorked and has AP 2.5 with FSD (once I get that chip upgraded to 3.0). The only other changes I’ll probably make are replacing MCU 1 to MCU 2. We don’t really ever take my car on road trips (which is too bad) so it will serve as my daily driver. I owned a model 3 before this as even with 325 miles we took it on 1 road trip in that time. Thanks for the feedback, makes me feel better about my choice! Enjoy the 2020/2021 model!

I ended up ordering a sept 2017 build (used) that is uncorked and has AP 2.5 with FSD (once I get that chip upgraded to 3.0). The only other changes I’ll probably make are replacing MCU 1 to MCU 2. We don’t really ever take my car on road trips (which is too bad) so it will serve as my daily driver. I owned a model 3 before this as even with 325 miles we took it on 1 road trip in that time. Thanks for the feedback, makes me feel better about my choice! Enjoy the 2020/2021 model!

Great choice, this is an excellent daily driver. Schedule an appointment and get that AP3 board installed! FSD will finally be out in beta form next week.

I’ve got a July ‘17 build with 35k miles on it. Glass roof, RWD, coil suspension, uncorked, etc. Never had an issue with it other than the key fobs had to be replaced 2 times due to the car not recognizing them for some reason. It was all taken care of of via mobile service so not a big deal.

Best car I’ve ever owned and there isn’t a close second. Never get tired of driving it or looking at it. :)

I’ve resisted the urge to upgrade the MCU because I like my FM radio and while the interface is slow at times, it’s not unreasonable. Probably going to hang on until it gives out.

I’ve got a July ‘17 build with 35k miles on it. Glass roof, RWD, coil suspension, uncorked, etc. Never had an issue with it other than the key fobs had to be replaced 2 times due to the car not recognizing them for some reason. It was all taken care of of via mobile service so not a big deal.

Best car I’ve ever owned and there isn’t a close second. Never get tired of driving it or looking at it. :)

I’ve resisted the urge to upgrade the MCU because I like my FM radio and while the interface is slow at times, it’s not unreasonable. Probably going to hang on until it gives out.

Yeah I listen to a lot of AM radio to (which I am not even sure the model S has), but I can also stream the stations. Losing FM radio would be hard too.