Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering opting out of FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am finally cleared from the FSB Beta program.
You said…
“I cancelled the beta from the vehicles software on the Teslas screen in the car.”
I’m assuming by this you mean you just turned off “Beta” using this toggle?
CDD00A7B-23E2-4276-ACCA-12F7FA4F974A.jpeg

I have always assumed this was a temporary toggle…
Is there an additional dialog box that follows allowing you to completely opt out/cancel as there was for opting out of the request and safety score process?

You said…
“I cancelled the beta from the vehicles software on the Teslas screen in the car.”
View attachment 842623
Is there an additional dialog box that follows allowing you to completely opt out/cancel as there was for opting out of the request and safety score process?
did this work for you? I've just done the same and curious if its enough to start getting the regular normal updates.

did this work for you? I've just done the same and curious if its enough to start getting the regular normal updates.
Unless something changed in the most recent update, it won't work this way. Disabling FSD Beta in the settings just turns off the code and continues the AP stack while on city streets.

The only way to revert to the general code branch is to e-mail Tesla from your account e-mail address (fsdbeta @ tesla.com), let them know your VIN and that you want to be removed from FSD Beta. It takes anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks until your car will offer you an update to the latest general branch.

Reactions: CaptUAL
Unless something changed in the most recent update, it won't work this way. Disabling FSD Beta in the settings just turns off the code and continues the AP stack while on city streets.

The only way to revert to the general code branch is to e-mail Tesla from your account e-mail address (fsdbeta @ tesla.com), let them know your VIN and that you want to be removed from FSD Beta. It takes anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks until your car will offer you an update to the latest general branch.
Thanks for the extra info. I'll send them an email.
Its been fun on the beta, but right now I'd rather have regularly updated versions and those nice new features like Apple Music.

following up on this - the last checked date/time for software update is the time I disabled FSD Beta in the settings.
So I'm guessing its stuck now until Tesla change something at the mothership :(
Tried all the reboots, still on that same time from yesterday.

About 3 weeks ago I opted out of FSD Beta. After having it for almost a year, the progressions they've made still didn't leave me confident enough to use it on city streets. Cool tech, absolutely. Just not anywhere near ready for everyday usage.

I sent the email requesting to be removed from the beta program. 2 days later I received a confirmation email and Tesla requesting my VIN. I was away for the weekend & didn't reply, but after a few days I received another email from Tesla informing me I was removed from the beta program as requested (I never sent them my VIN).

About a week went by and I was still on the latest beta software. Sent an email to Tesla asking if they could push the non beta update to my car. Within 36 hours my Model Y received the update. This could've been purely coincidental to my email though.

The only thing I miss now is the city street rendering of the beta. Other than that, there's been no difference for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
The best feature, and the only one that keeps me in FSDb, is that I can override the speed as much as I like. Where I live, the speed limits are off by 20 - 30 mph (always low) on half the roads. There is no effort being made by tesla to correct this, so auto steer can’t be used on these roads unless you have FSDb so that you can scroll up to the actual speed of traffic.
This is my reason for requesting it. On one route I take frequently, the road department takes a 30 MPH sign and puts another sign above it that reads "TRUCK." My car slows to 35.

Actually, on US RT 1 in Edison, there’s speed limit signs that have “50” on the one sign on top and “45” and “TRUCK” on the bottom sign.

FSDb is random with this approach. First off, on the display, the car splits pole with two signs into two completely separate signs that dance madly, one in front of the other, back and forth, about two or four times in the space of a second.

It appears that whatever sign comes up last is the one that the car picks. So, if the car is set to 55 (which is what the traffic is doing) when one enters this area, it ends up, randomly, at 45 or 50. Once it picks one of those, it stays with its first pick as one passes several more speed signs like that over a couple of miles.

So, say one is in sudden slow-down mode because the car’s limit just got set to 45? Adjust the speed back up, sure: and in a half mile, the car will see the next sign, do its flippy thing, and reset to 45 again.

It’s the rapid switching back and forth between different speed limits that does it, I think. And the car’s inability to figure out that it’s not a truck. Sigh.

You said…
View attachment 842623
That does not turn off the beta the way you want lol. I have a profile with it turned off and one with it on. That’s what switch does.

I am considering opting out of FSD beta on my 2021 Plaid Model S
Tired of being months behind general improvements in the software.
I really want to help Tesla out by contributing the data, however…
I feel like the useful benefits are heavily outweighed by the disadvantages of being so far behind on other features and improvements.
My Plaid Model S is on 2020.12.3.20
Our other Tesla’s (M3 & MS100D) are on 2022.20.5
From what I’ve read the only way to opt out is to send an email to:
[email protected]
And eventually I will be out…

Still haven’t pulled the trigger yet so
Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated…

As much as I would love to opt out of FSD to get the latest production build, unfortunately that is also now days not guaranteed. Considering that there are so many variations of cars with different hardware, the rollouts have no rhyme or reason. You could opt out of beta and then get stuck with an old production build, which is less than what you have now.

All in all, think about what you’re missing out in the newest holiday update. More farts? MyQ garbage that requires an annual subscription (where the iOS and android apps are free)? Apple Music that you could just stream from your phone via Bluetooth (plus really how many streaming music services do you really need, lol)? Steam that you’re not going to get because you have a 2021 plaid and not the 2022 model with 16GB ram?

As much as it hurts to say, you’re better off staying with the beta and enjoying the limited and mostly mediocre FSD updates.

As much as I would love to opt out of FSD to get the latest production build, unfortunately that is also now days not guaranteed. Considering that there are so many variations of cars with different hardware, the rollouts have no rhyme or reason. You could opt out of beta and then get stuck with an old production build, which is less than what you have now.

All in all, think about what you’re missing out in the newest holiday update. More farts? MyQ garbage that requires an annual subscription (where the iOS and android apps are free)? Apple Music that you could just stream from your phone via Bluetooth (plus really how many streaming music services do you really need, lol)? Steam that you’re not going to get because you have a 2021 plaid and not the 2022 model with 16GB ram?

As much as it hurts to say, you’re better off staying with the beta and enjoying the limited and mostly mediocre FSD updates.
The Apple music addition is quite good addition for those who use it though. It moves the navigation off the phone and onto the main display, which means no "using the phone" dings from AP.
After getting nowhere sending email, I've reenabled FSD again, but knowing my luck they will eventually get around to reading my multiple emails and turn it off just when I want to use it :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ramphex