Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering opting out of FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
I am considering opting out of FSD beta on my 2021 Plaid Model S
Tired of being months behind general improvements in the software.
I really want to help Tesla out by contributing the data, however…
I feel like the useful benefits are heavily outweighed by the disadvantages of being so far behind on other features and improvements.
My Plaid Model S is on 2020.12.3.20
Our other Tesla’s (M3 & MS100D) are on 2022.20.5
From what I’ve read the only way to opt out is to send an email to:
[email protected]
And eventually I will be out…

Still haven’t pulled the trigger yet so
Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated…

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex and Dcam
I feel like the useful benefits are heavily outweighed by the disadvantages of being so far behind on other features and improvements.
[email protected]

Still haven’t pull the trigger yet so
There is a definite lag on main branch features, but it's not as far back as you'd think. You're maybe 4-6 weeks behind on features. I know in our world of instant gratification we want the latest now, and believe me I feel it too. :)

You can keep up to date on main branch features/updates here: Tesla Software Update History and Latest Tesla Features
FSD Beta updates here: Tesla FSD Beta News, Software Update Release Notes and Statistics

If you are enjoying your Beta experience and want to keep helping improve it, then stay. It's your experience, don't listen to us. Just research the firmware updates and see what features are missing that you want, and if you're willing to wait for those features in the next FSD Beta update.

And ignore the naysayers - just do what feels right for you.

[email protected]

Still haven’t pull the trigger yet so
good luck getting a response from an email, request I sent months ago is unanswered

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
good luck getting a response from an email, request I sent months ago is unanswered

Was it an opt-out request?

I imagine Tesla is using email filters to trigger off key words, and an opt-out request should be pretty easy to trigger off of.

I've sent numerous questions/concerns along with bug reports to the FSD Beta email and they were all ignored. Ignored as in there was zero customer engagement with them.

There is no user engagement so who knows if any of the testing actually does any good.

Reactions: Dcam
I would try to opt-in with the Model 3, and opt-out with the Model S.

That way you could still play around with FSD beta on occasion, but on a lesser vehicle.

The only reason I didn't opt out is it was so annoying to get in that I didn't want to go through that again.

Just turn it off in the on car menu. That's what I did. Then you get TACC back and it's also more assertive on the highway. For me, turning it off also resolved a bunch of software glitches with various items on the car. If 3 or 4 updates go by you can always turn it back on and within a few miles you can figure out that it's still a major work in progress and nowhere near being a usable feature on the car. Then turn it back off again.

Reactions: Dcam and aronth5
Ok,
Pulled the trigger last night.
Sent this email last night:

Subject:
Opt Out Request (VIN: 5YJSA1E64MF#####)

I would like to opt out of the FSD beta program in order to get updates to the latest versions of the non-FSD-beta software.

MODEL S Plaid
VIN: 5YJSA1E64MF#####
Version: 2022.12.3.20

Please respond so I know this is being processed.
Thank You,

• Helpful
Reactions: CaptUAL
Just turn it off in the on car menu. That's what I did. Then you get TACC back and it's also more assertive on the highway. For me, turning it off also resolved a bunch of software glitches with various items on the car. If 3 or 4 updates go by you can always turn it back on and within a few miles you can figure out that it's still a major work in progress and nowhere near being a usable feature on the car. Then turn it back off again.
you can do that really easily by creating an additional profile, that makes the switch really simple.
You end up with an FSDb profile and an FSD-disabled profile.
However, I've noticed that with this release especially, even turning off FSD doesn't fix the degradation I've noticed in AP.
I'm seriously considering quitting the beta just so I can get my smooth AP back again.

Reactions: Chisale
You may need to send multiple emails before you get switched back to the production branch. I seem to recall reading at least one post that stated it took about three emails before a new update was received.

But then again, it may be like the mob. Once you're in, you're in for life...

• Funny
Reactions: Daniellane
you can do that really easily by creating an additional profile, that makes the switch really simple.
You end up with an FSDb profile and an FSD-disabled profile.
However, I've noticed that with this release especially, even turning off FSD doesn't fix the degradation I've noticed in AP.
I'm seriously considering quitting the beta just so I can get my smooth AP back again.
Agree with you Twiglett. My opinion is that as far as straight AP goes, subscribed to FSD but with it turned off is somewhere between not having it at all and having FSD engaged. Not as good as the former but better than the latter. I'm not sure why it would be that way. But that's how it is. That's a good idea about having two driver profiles so you're not going into the menu all the time and remembering where it is. I know anytime my wife is in the car then it most definitely have the profile where it is turned OFF.

Agree with you Twiglett. My opinion is that as far as straight AP goes, subscribed to FSD but with it turned off is somewhere between not having it at all and having FSD engaged. Not as good as the former but better than the latter. I'm not sure why it would be that way. But that's how it is. That's a good idea about having two driver profiles so you're not going into the menu all the time and remembering where it is. I know anytime my wife is in the car then it most definitely have the profile where it is turned OFF.
that last bit is likely to be my deciding factor too. :cool:

I understand the feeling of missing out on the latest updates being on FSD. Since I just got in a month ago, I am looking forward to a FSDb update. I think the excitement of trying out an update FSD outweights the sadness of not having the latest general update.

As for AP, I haven't noticed a degradation since getting in the FSD beta. I use it all the time, before and after FSDb.

I understand the feeling of missing out on the latest updates being on FSD. Since I just got in a month ago, I am looking forward to a FSDb update. I think the excitement of trying out an update FSD outweights the sadness of not having the latest general update.

As for AP, I haven't noticed a degradation since getting in the FSD beta. I use it all the time, before and after FSDb.
The thing is you will get all the updates sooner or later on Beta.;) However you will NEVER get the Beta on the standard software.

Best suggestion here was to get it on one of our legacy (2018) cars. Plaid model S has some issues that need to be resolved with software updates. Some hardware features that have yet to be implemented via firmware. Also an occasional complete loss of all functionality of the FSD computer. Many a trip with no auto wipers turn signal auto cancellation after changing lanes and basically anything that requires cameras. The service center has confirmed that it will be fixed in a future update. Would rather not wait an extra three months before it hits the FSD beta branch.
The novelty of FSD beta has worn out and for me it’s not worth waiting 2 to 3 months to be up-to-date with the latest software. And I do agree that I have used auto pilot less since I updated to FSD beta.
I would be happy to stay on FSD beta and continue contributing data for Tesla‘s benefit if it was not so far behind the production software.

Last edited:
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Best suggestion here was to get it on one of our legacy (2018) cars. Plaid model S has some issues that need to be resolved with software updates. Some hardware features that have yet to be implemented via firmware. Also an occasional complete loss of all functionality of the FSD computer. Many a trip with no auto wipers turn signal auto cancellation after changing lanes and basically anything that requires cameras. The service center has confirmed that it will be fixed in a future update. Would rather not wait an extra three months before it hits the FSD beta branch.
The novelty of FSD beta has worn out and for me it’s not worth waiting 2 to 3 months to be up-to-date with the latest software. And I do agree that I have used auto pilot lesss since I updated to FSD beta.
I would be happy to stay on FSD beta and continue contributing data for Tesla‘s benefit if it was not so far behind the production software.
I've read that service centers are sometimes hit and miss. I get the impression that some service people are either taught or fall into the habit of saying "it'll be fixed in a future firmware update" as a way to get people to go away. The only suggestion I have is to try a different tech, or try a different service center if another one is relatively close to you.

I've read a few people say that the general branch of firmware is "far ahead" of the FSD Beta branch of code. I've not seen evidence of this with changelogs - they are definitely behind, but usually only one update - something new is introduced into the general branch, and the next FSD Beta update will include it. To be fair, FSD Beta updates are slowing down, so they are not as frequent, but we're only talking a month or two. I came from a Chevy Bolt that was the only other car besides Tesla that claimed "over the air updates" at the time - I had a grand total of one (1) update the entire time I owned the car (about 5 years), so I can be patient. :)

I go to the Portland Oregon service center. They are top-notch. They sent me all the information that came from the mothership with very specific details of what was causing the problem. And provided me with a temporary fix that does work. The problem is it actually caused by the FSD computer locking up or getting into some sort of endless loop when it comes out of sleep.
It does not fix itself by doing any kind of rebooting shut down or anything like that. It Hass to go to sleep again. So you need to turn century mode off… To make that happen. I will post the actual description of the problem. The first time I got it was an FSD beta and it was something unique to FSD beta actually. Second time I got it it was some thing that was from the production branch that was hitting all cars

Reactions: Dewg