Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering opting out of FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely not just blaming it on firmware. They tracked it down. It’s extremely helpful to have timestamps. Anytime I have an issue that I want to document the timestamp for, I just take a random photo with my phone of the dashboard or some thing in the car and then I just take the metadata off the photo in my library.

Concern: Customer states: Feature Availability & Settings - On April 2, Starting at 5 AM on a long road trip. Cruise control was not available. Spoke with somebody from roadside assistance and they said that it was not a specific sensor or anything like that that it was the FSD computer and then I need to bring it in for service. At that point I had already tried a steering wheel reset with no affect. When we came to our first supercharger stop I did a power off and everything was fine up until today. Everything is dead again but this time I tried a power off with no affect. Also FYI I have received a software update Between the two events. Which means it’s not isolated to the previous version. Here’s a timestamp second time for today. 3:28 PM on April 7
investigated vehicle logs for both time stamps that the customer provided. Found two different issues at both time stamps. the first issue has to do with the FSD beta SYNCHRONOUS_PIPELINE and is under investigation. the confirmed fix has not been released and will be mitigated in a future firmware release. the 2nd issue is that the primary auto pilot computer has booted into an undesirable state when the vehicle started. this will sustain until the vehicles goes through a sleep cycle and it will self recover. this issue is also currently under investigation and does not merit hardware replacement. This issue will be mitigated with a future firmware release.

Reactions: Dewg
It’s pretty easy to tell where you are in firmware.
First section is the year (obvious) second number is the week of the year.
We are currently living in week 29
The most current release version is week 20.
FSD beta is week 12
And so the branch that FSD beta is on is four months old.
The current production branch is two months,1 week old. My guess is the next branch of FSD beta will be week 16.
If you’re running iOS there’s an option to turn weeks on in your calendar which is fairly handy.
Screenshots below.
58620784-0FFC-4000-9F53-4283D3FE301C.jpeg

A4C386E5-32C8-4DA4-9037-3FA4CB6235C2.jpeg

The best feature, and the only one that keeps me in FSDb, is that I can override the speed as much as I like. Where I live, the speed limits are off by 20 - 30 mph (always low) on half the roads. There is no effort being made by tesla to correct this, so auto steer can’t be used on these roads unless you have FSDb so that you can scroll up to the actual speed of traffic.

The best feature, and the only one that keeps me in FSDb, is that I can override the speed as much as I like. Where I live, the speed limits are off by 20 - 30 mph (always low) on half the roads. There is no effort being made by tesla to correct this, so auto steer can’t be used on these roads unless you have FSDb so that you can scroll up to the actual speed of traffic.
Are your speed limit signs on the roads clearly visible and in this format?

1658505923651.png

Are your speed limit signs on the roads clearly visible and in this format?

View attachment 831482

They are of that style, where there are signs. Mostly there are no signs and the standard rule of when no signs, the limit is 55. I do have a video showing the car leaving a town with a 35 mph speed limit in town and the car following that. Then a 55 mph sign comes up leaving the town. The car recognizes this and starts to accelerate, but within seconds, slows back down to 35 (with no other sign showing). For some reason I can’t post this video here, so I guess you will need to take my word on that, but it happens every time and on either my fsdB model 3 or my non FSD model Y. Tesla virtual service claims that if the limits are incorrect I need to contact the community and have them input the correct data. However when I pressed them further on this, they have no idea who to contact or even what this mysterious database name is. It’s wrong on so many roads around here, which is why the ability of fsdB to scroll the speed up more than the 5mph limit on the non fsdB to get to the correct speed and still have autosteer.

They are of that style, where there are signs. Mostly there are no signs and the standard rule of when no signs, the limit is 55. I do have a video showing the car leaving a town with a 35 mph speed limit in town and the car following that. Then a 55 mph sign comes up leaving the town. The car recognizes this and starts to accelerate, but within seconds, slows back down to 35 (with no other sign showing). For some reason I can’t post this video here, so I guess you will need to take my word on that, but it happens every time and on either my fsdB model 3 or my non FSD model Y. Tesla virtual service claims that if the limits are incorrect I need to contact the community and have them input the correct data. However when I pressed them further on this, they have no idea who to contact or even what this mysterious database name is. It’s wrong on so many roads around here, which is why the ability of fsdB to scroll the speed up more than the 5mph limit on the non fsdB to get to the correct speed and still have autosteer.
Could it be a GPS or mapping issue? I've had it going 65 on a freeway under construction, and it suddenly thought it was on a side street next to the freeway and dropped to 40.

Agree with you Twiglett. My opinion is that as far as straight AP goes, subscribed to FSD but with it turned off is somewhere between not having it at all and having FSD engaged. Not as good as the former but better than the latter. I'm not sure why it would be that way. But that's how it is. That's a good idea about having two driver profiles so you're not going into the menu all the time and remembering where it is. I know anytime my wife is in the car then it most definitely have the profile where it is turned OFF.
Got a question on switching it off. Why? Unless you're trying to nav on AP is there any reason to turn if off when your wife is in the car. I just don't use it when mine is in the car.

Got a question on switching it off. Why? Unless you're trying to nav on AP is there any reason to turn if off when your wife is in the car. I just don't use it when mine is in the car.
lots of reasons, but personal choice is the biggest. As its so trivial to setup then why not?
Other reason is that multiple drivers have different preferences or that you just don't want to have to deal with the beta.
My wife's and son's driving profiles both have both AP and FSDb turned off. Neither of them want to deal with it and I like having the choice.

@Daniellane were you able to opt out and get back to production firmware? with 10.13 looking like it'll be based on 2022.16 and 2022.24 starting to roll out I'm considering opting out myself. I will miss some features, but I think I can wait until the branches merge likely as part of a 'big' holiday update this year. For now there are just a enough features in 'prod' that I want now and I feel like if I stay on FSD I won't get these features for another few months with 10.14 at the earliest at this point.

@Daniellane were you able to opt out and get back to production firmware? with 10.13 looking like it'll be based on 2022.16 and 2022.24 starting to roll out I'm considering opting out myself. I will miss some features, but I think I can wait until the branches merge likely as part of a 'big' holiday update this year. For now there are just a enough features in 'prod' that I want now and I feel like if I stay on FSD I won't get these features for another few months with 10.14 at the earliest at this point.
No
No response after 2 emails.

Kindly let us know if you were able to get out of FSD BETA and Indeed have gotten a regular update? I too have decided to get rid of FSD BETA in my MSP. I just do not find any benefits or enjoyment in using it, and it's certainly not worth any $214.00 a month to me. Thanks.
I will post any progress on this thread. Not pushing her right now since there’s an update coming out soon. Figured I’d try it if they don’t let me out before it arrives. But after I plan to send a third email

• Helpful
Reactions: CaptUAL
I am considering opting out of FSD beta on my 2021 Plaid Model S
Tired of being months behind general improvements in the software.
I really want to help Tesla out by contributing the data, however…
I feel like the useful benefits are heavily outweighed by the disadvantages of being so far behind on other features and improvements.
My Plaid Model S is on 2020.12.3.20
Our other Tesla’s (M3 & MS100D) are on 2022.20.5
From what I’ve read the only way to opt out is to send an email to:
[email protected]
And eventually I will be out…

Still haven’t pulled the trigger yet so
Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated…
I pulled the plug a week ago Monday, 8/1/2022. I received my first non-beta FSD this week. 2022.16.3. I see there are more to come.
I was never happy with the beta.