Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering the purchase of a Tesla model S. I have my first test drive this afternoon. My current lease vehicle is BMW 535d. A car I thoroughly enjoy due to the comfort, torque and "efficiency" (a term I use loosely in light of the audience) of the diesel platform. I do have a few thoughts to pose:

1. I'm looking at the purchase of new vs. used Model 3. The CPO P85D would be the vehicle of choice in the used market. If I were to by new, I would only afford the 75D. I really don't want to spend more than $70K

2. I've considered the Model 3 as well. It seems the board is relatively excited about the model 3. I can honestly say, I've not spent a great deal of time investigating the differences in the models, however 5% of the time, I would need room for my wife and 3 kids, which is why I've only considered the S; 95% of the time the vehicle would simply be a commuter car. If I were to get the 3, I would opt for the P version.

3. From a family perspective, I would consider an X. It would be perfect. But, damn they are expensive!

Any thoughts or comments that I should consider?

J

It’s the same situation I was in. I had always wanted an electric vehicle and loved the S. I had reserved a 3 months after it was announced. My wife ended up suggesting that I test drive the S to make sure I would even want the 3.

To put it shortly, I ordered an S one week later and canceled my 3 order.

I’ve also got a wife and 2 kids. We’ve made statewide trips with my 75D without any problems. Supercharging is really convienient and at locations that are at good stopping points. I also use mine as a commuter 90% of the time, less than 50 miles per day total.

My wife has also commented that the seats are WAAAAY more comfortable than her Buick Enclave. She no longer complains that her butt hurts or that we have to stop and get out to stretch her legs.

For a commuter with a family that wants to go electric, you won’t go wrong with the S (or 3), but If you’re considering road-tripping. or even driving distances with the family, the S makes more sense because you’ll have more cargo room, more interior room, more head room.

If you need a referral for supercharging, let me know...I’m still waiting for my first!

In the end...get an S. If you can find a used one that has all that you want, jump on it! Try looking for inventory or test drive models too. Try calling the dealer and see what they have. That’s the one thing I wish I would have done.

Reactions: MarkKW and henderrj
Same experience here. I reserved the 3 right after intro but was worried it would be too small (I'm 6'4). I rented an S on Turo for a few days to test it out. Purchased an S soon after. I kept my reservation and now the wife drives the 3. I will say the 3 has just as much, if not more, headroom as my S. You can look into the differences, both out do the other in certain areas. It is really subjective. But you could do an "extended" test drive of both by renting on Turo, then you can decide which you prefer.

I'm considering the purchase of a Tesla model S. I have my first test drive this afternoon. My current lease vehicle is BMW 535d. A car I thoroughly enjoy due to the comfort, torque and "efficiency" (a term I use loosely in light of the audience) of the diesel platform. I do have a few thoughts to pose:

1. I'm looking at the purchase of new vs. used Model 3. The CPO P85D would be the vehicle of choice in the used market. If I were to by new, I would only afford the 75D. I really don't want to spend more than $70K

2. I've considered the Model 3 as well. It seems the board is relatively excited about the model 3. I can honestly say, I've not spent a great deal of time investigating the differences in the models, however 5% of the time, I would need room for my wife and 3 kids, which is why I've only considered the S; 95% of the time the vehicle would simply be a commuter car. If I were to get the 3, I would opt for the P version.

3. From a family perspective, I would consider an X. It would be perfect. But, damn they are expensive!

J
Depending on if you want the "extras" of the S, I'd vote for it. However, if you don't (air suspension, sunroof, powered liftgate, etc.) the 3 is an amazing vehicle 90% of the time. It does have more issues with quality control, but I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor since they should correct any all issues.

If you do decide to go with the S (I did) you'll love it. Period.

Let me know if you end up needing a referral code. I may or may not be able to supply you with one. I just placed my order a few days ago, so my referral link isn't "active" yet... :)

We have an S and a RWD Model 3, so I can share some stream of consciousness thoughts about how they compare:

Our S is a P85, so it's no slouch, but from a pure driving experience I would trade the S for a Performance Model 3 in a heartbeat. The increased agility of the 3 is dramatic. After driving the 3 for five months the S, even with its greater acceleration, seems large and clumsy by comparison. (I still love my S. I'm not saying it's intrinsically large and clumsy. I'm saying by comparison to the 3 it can feel that way to me.)

We love the free Supercharging of the S but I have to admit that's purely psychological because free Supercharging has probably saved us less than $200 in 75,000 miles of ownership. While there's just something cool about knowing that road trips are free in the S, I wouldn't use free Supercharging as a reason to buy the S over the 3.

With all four of us, plus luggage, we like the larger size of the Model S. It's a great road trip vehicle, second only to the X (which, yes, is a lot of $$$). The 3 has plenty of room, but the S is just noticeably roomier.

I like the instrumentation of the S better. The larger screen and the second display is useful but, that said, I have very little problem with the Model 3 display. My biggest complaint is that I wish the turn-by-turn information when I'm using the GPS was on the left side of the display, not the right side, but I understand that's a promised future change.

Both the S and the 3 are a joy to own and drive and each pushes different buttons for me. For the same $70k, choosing between a performance 3 or an S would be a tough call. Smaller, more agile, more intrinsically fun to drive versus still fun to drive but not so agile and a little more functionality for the 5% of the time that you're taking a long road trip or have the entire family in the car.

Spending a little seat time with the two of them might help you decide what's best for you but I am confident that no matter which of the two you decide, you'll be a happy Tesla owner.

J
I would not be purchasing a Model S at this time. The overall vehicle design is 7 years old from inception and sorely in need of update. The engineering and quality of the vehicle are not up to Model 3 standards, which uses a brand new and much more modern assembly line process. The Model 3 interior is also nicer and the seats more comfortable. Model S rear ventilation is terrible compared to Model 3, steering wheel vibrates when AC runs full blast. The car needs some serious re-engineering to stay competitive.

If you are wanting a BMW 5-series size of car, like the Model S, and can afford to wait 1-2 years for a redesign, that's what I would do. Otherwise the Model 3 is currently Tesla's highest quality, least problematic vehicle. Unfortunately, it's also Tesla's smallest.

I would not be purchasing a Model S at this time. The overall vehicle design is 7 years old from inception and sorely in need of update. The engineering and quality of the vehicle are not up to Model 3 standards, which uses a brand new and much more modern assembly line process. The Model 3 interior is also nicer and the seats more comfortable. Model S rear ventilation is terrible compared to Model 3, steering wheel vibrates when AC runs full blast. The car needs some serious re-engineering to stay competitive.

Simply not true. You should test drive a new Model S. It's a huge difference compared to the earlier ones. So much so that I immediately traded my 2015 S in for a 2018 when my service center gave me a 2018 as a loaner.

Similar story here - originally had a reservation for a 3, test drove an S.
Purchased the S. Canceled the 3 reservation. We loved the S so much that we made a new Model 3 LR RWD reservation for my wife and took delivery in April. I went from a Highlander hybrid seven passenger to the model S.
It seems like the model S has more practical cargo space than the Highlander did.
I have driven many model Xs since
and frankly I don’t think the X seems to have any great additional benefits other than the ability to tow. I do envy the automatic opening doors and door pockets in the X. But you can’t beat the ride and versatility of the Model S - it’s simply the best car I’ve ever driven. The Model 3 is the second best car I’ve ever driven. My wife just loves it.
She finds the model S a little too large Her last two cars were a BMW series 3 and then a Prius.
But I still prefer the S for myself.
We always take our road trip’s in the Model S 100D. You can’t beat the 335 mile range plus free supercharging. 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds is still pretty ridiculous and more than one whatever need in my opinion. It would also be hard for me to give up the heated steering wheel & bio weapon defense filter and motorized hatch in my Model S.

Last edited:

If you are wanting a BMW 5-series size of car, like the Model S, and can afford to wait 1-2 years for a redesign, that's what I would do. Otherwise the Model 3 is currently Tesla's highest quality, least problematic vehicle. Unfortunately, it's also Tesla's smallest.
Although the majority of this post is either inaccurate or subjective, I do agree that the S could use some "updating". However, this is by no means a reason to avoid the vehicle like this post states. If your vehicle is demonstrating these defects, I recommend taking it to the service center. Also, as madtorque said, the vehicle has improved considerably since its earlier iterations.

Reactions: boonedocks

You're joking about the interior/seats right? Aside from the fact that most of the QA issues you mention aren't issues anymore (the new cars really are built quite well), the S seats are *significantly* more comfortable especially if you have broader shoulders. There's way less plastic, and the materials (especially the wood trim) are nicer. The only point I'd give the 3 interior over the S is the innovative vent design, which inarguably looks cooler.

Here's another vote for Model S. I went through the same decision process a few months ago and decided on a new S75D. One advantage buying new over used right now is the federal tax credit. Counting the tax credit I got the S right at $70K, though they have slightly raised the base price recently.

We were shopping for our 3rd Tesla ( we have two houses in different states) we went with a Used model S - We liked the Air suspension, sun roof and at the time AWD, that we couldn't get on the model 3. Also, since we indeed do road trips, the model S is a fantastic road trip car. The model 3 is just smaller in every dimension. We probably will still get a model 3 one day, but for now instead of a model 3 we had 3 model S's :)

Reactions: Don TLR
I went from a 2012 535xi Sport to a 2015 P85D.

If you’re expecting BMW comfort, quality and service, forget about it.

If you want a cool gadget that goes really fast in a straight line then Tesla may be the car for you.

We have a 2014 S which I love, but I'd trade it for a 75 that was brand new. The number of improvements is dramatic! And ap2 cars are finally getting an advantage. I think I'd go for the new 75 over a model 3 Performance. The longer-range is a significant advantage on road trips, but how often do you do that? We do two to three a year so it's worth it to us. Still, I kept my Model S rather than get a 3. Okay, that's partly because I'm cheap. If money was no issue I would own a 100 Model S.

I went from a 328xi to a 2015 Model S 85D. Originally, I had a deposit down for a Model 3, but to me two things made me splurge and get a CPO 85D: Interior Room (I have 2 kids like you) AND Exterior Looks. I find the Model S much nicer looking on the eyes compared to the M3. My family takes the MS everywhere on weekends and we don't take my wife's QX60. No regrets.

I appreciate the input of all that provided it.

I just returned from my test drive and was able to drive both the S100D and the PM3.

As a BMW owner, I was concerned the interior of the S would feel more sterile, less luxurious and less comfortable. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The seats were exceptionally comfortable despite the firm appearance they display. They provided a nice hug in all the right places. I'm not a big guy and felt the seats were made for someone with my frame, which is unusual. The fit and finish of the interior was a pleasant surprise. The steering wheel was thick, similar to my M sport 5 series. I did find it interesting that they do not offer real leather. This was the first time I'd spent any time in the Tesla brand, and I was impressed.

The PM3 was shear excitement to drive. It was small, nimble, quick and definitely fun to drive. I also own a ZO6 and while it was different, it felt more like the sports car I love. If I had no kids, that would be THE commuter car for me. With that said, I did feel the interior was, dare I say, cheaper in feel; like the interior pieces could be easily broken. Almost immediately, I felt the S was significantly more luxuriousIt was an instantaneous feeling of "definitely the S"... then I drove it!

The PM3 vs S is very much like the difference b/w the BMW 3 and 5 series. The S felt more like my 5, but there is a part of me still trying to justify the lean muscle of the PM3. I'm sure I will own one of those one day.

If anyone else is able to discuss the P85D vs the newer S, that would be great.

I've found a CPO P85D that I'm ready to pull the trigger on but unfortunately can only view it through pictures. It is several states away is equipped with the following:
  1. All Glass Panoramic Roof
  2. Carbon Fiber Décor
  3. Matching Yacht Floor
  4. Black Headliner
  5. Autopilot Hardware
  6. Free Supercharging
  7. Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  8. Smart Air Suspension
  9. Subzero Weather Package
  10. Keyless Entry
  11. Power Liftgate
  12. Red Brake Calipers
  13. GPS Enabled Homelink
  14. Tech Package with Autopilot

Reactions: Don TLR
I appreciate the input of all that provided it.

I just returned from my test drive and was able to drive both the S100D and the PM3.

As a BMW owner, I was concerned the interior of the S would feel more sterile, less luxurious and less comfortable. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The seats were exceptionally comfortable despite the firm appearance they display. They provided a nice hug in all the right places. I'm not a big guy and felt the seats were made for someone with my frame, which is unusual. The fit and finish of the interior was a pleasant surprise. The steering wheel was thick, similar to my M sport 5 series. I did find it interesting that they do not offer real leather. This was the first time I'd spent any time in the Tesla brand, and I was impressed.

The PM3 was shear excitement to drive. It was small, nimble, quick and definitely fun to drive. I also own a ZO6 and while it was different, it felt more like the sports car I love. If I had no kids, that would be THE commuter car for me. With that said, I did feel the interior was, dare I say, cheaper in feel; like the interior pieces could be easily broken. Almost immediately, I felt the S was significantly more luxuriousIt was an instantaneous feeling of "definitely the S"... then I drove it!

The PM3 vs S is very much like the difference b/w the BMW 3 and 5 series. The S felt more like my 5, but there is a part of me still trying to justify the lean muscle of the PM3. I'm sure I will own one of those one day.

If anyone else is able to discuss the P85D vs the newer S, that would be great.

I've found a CPO P85D that I'm ready to pull the trigger on but unfortunately can only view it through pictures. It is several states away is equipped with the following:
  1. All Glass Panoramic Roof
  2. Carbon Fiber Décor
  3. Matching Yacht Floor
  4. Black Headliner
  5. Autopilot Hardware
  6. Free Supercharging
  7. Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  8. Smart Air Suspension
  9. Subzero Weather Package
  10. Keyless Entry
  11. Power Liftgate
  12. Red Brake Calipers
  13. GPS Enabled Homelink
  14. Tech Package with Autopilot
Sounds like an AP 1.0 vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't go for AP 1.0 anymore. 2.x are starting to catch up, and I'm not sure if they will be able to be upgraded to 3.0 once that starts occurring (if that does occur*). Also, the difference between 1.0 and 2.x is now becoming smaller and smaller, and in some cases 2.x is actually "ahead" of 1.0.

However, depending on the price the P85D is still a fantastic purchase. I just know I wouldn't purchase an inventory vehicle with 1.0 unless the price was outrageously good (and, yes, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, since I just purchased an inventory model with 2.5).