Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Purchasing a 2021 Model X Performance. Talk me out of it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kidding. Sort of. I'm new to the forum.

I have never owned an EV, but considering this purchase. Basically, it's an argument (maybe an internal one), of purchasing late model used vs. new Model X or Model X Plaid.

I've read about the new one. I get that it's better. Seems like if you order now it ships...whenever it ships. Maybe next year, maybe this year. I can get this one now.

I'm fairly easy to please, so I'd probably be happy with a used one- as long as it doesn't have a lot of problems. That's another thing to consider. Does the 2021 Model X Performance have problems?

The one I'm considering is also almost $50K less than a new Model X Plaid, and maybe $25-30K less than a regular Model X, so there is that. That's also a big consideration.

I reserved one on Carmax.

Thanks.

It is fine but if I have money I wouldn't buy obsolete technology.

First, be aware that "2021" is not produced in 2021. It was produced in 2020. So it is older than what is called.

Major updates started with 2021 S/X productions with new techs such as 12V lithium battery, Ryzen computer...
Yes, this one was produced right at the end of 2020, and registered in Jan 2021. I know it doesn't have the new processor. I read about the new computer. It is enticing.

Yes, this one was produced right at the end of 2020, and registered in Jan 2021. I know it doesn't have the new processor. I read about the new computer. It is enticing.
Not just that! It's the function that's more valuable.

For example, with your quoted car, because of old technology, you can't close your windows remotely.

You have to go Tesla so they can bring out their own machine to program a new fob but with the new technology, you can do it yourself (Tesla doesn't have to bring its programmable machine, it's been built-in and paid for with new techs)...

You got all the fob/phone/card key options with new tech (great redundancy system)...

Not just that! It's the function that's more valuable.

For example, with your quoted car, because of old technology, you can't close your windows remotely.

You have to go Tesla so they can bring out their own machine to program a new fob but with the new technology, you can do it yourself (Tesla doesn't have to bring its programmable machine, it's been built-in and paid for with new techs)...

You got all the fob/phone/card key options with new tech (great redundancy system)...
Thanks. These are the things I need to know.

It is fine but if I have money I wouldn't buy obsolete technology.

First, be aware that "2021" is not produced in 2021. It was produced in 2020. So it is older than what is called.
Not only that, the tech in the car was designed in roughly 2018. So in essence you are starting out with a four year old car, from a technology and features perspective. Lots of changes in the newest model.

Reactions: mswlogo
Hello,

I appreciate all the advice, but I guess I didn’t listen to it. Typical me.

I bought the Model X Performance equipped with FSD capability, and I’ve had it for a month.

I really like the car. It might be old tech, but it’s better tech than I’ve ever had.

FSD is another issue. I’m not going to pay attention to that anymore. Maybe turn off Safety Score if possible.

Reactions: Redmiata98
Congratulations! You will enjoy the ride every day. I just upgraded from a “16 to a “22 and the their was a quantum change. I had AP1, at least you have all in the caneras in your starship! Enjoy, any Tesla ride is great!
There is an option to turn off the beta FSD request on the touchscreen at the top of the Autopilot screen. Wait a few weeks to get used to the car and then try it again. I find the adaptive cruise control most helpful in my daily driving. Try it and then go to the FSD beta when you are comfortable with the car. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, the board members are (mostly) very helpful especially to first time Tesaites!

Last edited:
Reactions: neo1738
Congratulations! You will enjoy the ride every day. I just upgraded from a “16 to a “22 and the their was a quantum change. I had AP1, at least you have all in the caneras in your starship! Enjoy, any Tesla ride is great!
There is an option to turn off the beta FSD request on the touchscreen at the top of the Autopilot screen. Wait a few weeks to get used to the car and then try it again. I find the adaptive cruise control most helpful in my daily driving. Try it and then go to the FSD beta when you are comfortable with the car. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, the board members are (mostly) very helpful especially to first time Tesaites!
Nice of you, thanks! Yes, I like the car, can’t imagine going back- although I still have ICE cars for different purposes.

I wish I would have came to this forum first! I recent bought a Tesla certified Model X 2021 (but produced December 2020).

Since it was certified inventory, the Tesla center wouldn't let me view until placing my $500 reserve fee.

All of my research had said 2021 Model X's had the refreshed technology and more. I didn't realize that Tesla (similar to other car makers) technically starts selling the following year in the end of the preceeding year. I think the cross-over is in October. I.e. after October 2023, they will be eligible to sell 2024 models.

Long story short, I have a 2020, but my registration says 2021. I still have chrome, didnt get the all black option. Cannot open doors on the tesla app, rear climate not controlled by app either... but GOOD NEWS HOWEVER, Tesla extends the battery and drive-unit warranty until 2028 (seven years) so at least there's that.

Model X Long Range Plus, 6 seater. 2021, but kinda 2020. Best car I've ever had, smoothest ride, great sound system, falcon doors work perfect, and I think longest range Model X on record at 371 EPA. I think a little outdated tech is fair, considering, it has FSD capability should I want to subscribe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_095604_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_095604_Chrome.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 69
I have the same 12/20 build 21 MXP. It lacks the yoke and horizontal screen of the refresh but I prefer the wheel and vertical. I would only get a 5 seater so Plaid would not have had that.I would have liked the 3 motors on the Plaid, but the Performance motors are fine for me. I had chrome delete done because I like the look, but now all Teslas come with that.
If you wanted a 6 seater without chrome, the pre-refresh would make no sense.
If you want a fast 5 seater this is it.