Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Relo to NJ Area, looking for info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello NJ Tesla owners. I am currently considering a job in NJ which would require relocation and am curious about the residential power rates there. The job is based in Morristown and the wife and I are looking at the Sparta area (specifically Lake Mohawk) to purchase a home. Any comments on residential power rates and if there is an EV / TOU rate or any other incentives for EV owners is greatly appreciated. Also general comments on quality of life in NJ as we have never lived outside the Southeast US. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks @Chemios. I will be in the market for another Tesla by the time we move to NJ next year (if this new job happens). The no sales tax thing is a big deal. Any thoughts on power costs or TOU rates? I realize you’re in South Jersey but hey, it’s a small state so maybe you’re familiar with the North as well.

The people to ask about this is our North New Jersey chapter. You can find the facebook group for DVTO and ask there as a non member, but if you do move, I suggest you join and set your default chapter to Northern NJ. (Alas, I'm in PA and totally different rates, etc.).

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Bless you for coming up here; we're doing the opposite by moving to the SE (probably Georgia) next year. I live near Morristown - the town is undergoing a massive commercial and residential boom (at least in the main heart of the town; the outlying suburb area is steady). A couple of high-profile companies are planted in or around the area! Bayer, Benjamin Moore, Honeywell, Pfizer, etc.

My wife is the "CFO" of the household hence I haven't seen an electric bill in quite some time; although if I get the chance I'll login and see what our rate is. Northern NJ is either fed mainly via PSE&G or JCP&L depending on the area - I want to say Sparta will be JCP&L but I am not totally sure. I know with JCP&L at a minimum you can pay straight up the usual rate, a 12-month equal payment plan which "averages" the energy costs across the year, or a peak/off-peak rate.

Sparta/Lake Mohawk is a beautiful slice of New Jersey - calm and serene and not too far away from the nearest mall (FYI - Rockaway Townsquare Mall with Tesla Superchargers!) and other conveniences.

Funny, I've been to Charleston SC as well and thought it was a great place, and as a "northern boy" fascinated with the mannerisms and politeness of the southern culture. A very limited experience and there's no doubt a-holes live everywhere LOL!

Bless you for coming up here; we're doing the opposite by moving to the SE (probably Georgia) next year. I live near Morristown - the town is undergoing a massive commercial and residential boom (at least in the main heart of the town; the outlying suburb area is steady). A couple of high-profile companies are planted in or around the area! Bayer, Benjamin Moore, Honeywell, Pfizer, etc.

My wife is the "CFO" of the household hence I haven't seen an electric bill in quite some time; although if I get the chance I'll login and see what our rate is. Northern NJ is either fed mainly via PSE&G or JCP&L depending on the area - I want to say Sparta will be JCP&L but I am not totally sure. I know with JCP&L at a minimum you can pay straight up the usual rate, a 12-month equal payment plan which "averages" the energy costs across the year, or a peak/off-peak rate.

Sparta/Lake Mohawk is a beautiful slice of New Jersey - calm and serene and not too far away from the nearest mall (FYI - Rockaway Townsquare Mall with Tesla Superchargers!) and other conveniences.

Funny, I've been to Charleston SC as well and thought it was a great place, and as a "northern boy" fascinated with the mannerisms and politeness of the southern culture. A very limited experience and there's no doubt a-holes live everywhere LOL!
Thanks for your reply Trip. We love Charleston, it is quite beautiful. Only reason we’d move to Jersey is for this job, if I get it. Should know in a week or so. Still, it is one of the states I’ve never visited so if it pans out I’m looking forward to a new adventure. Best of luck with your own relo. Georgia is where I was born and raised, love the place. Metro Atlanta is huge and the traffic horrific, but it has a lot to offer from a quality of life standpoint.

I spent 26 years in Bergen county, NJ. Got out in 1989, and was very happy to do so. Never looked back, either. Northwest NJ used to be very rural and nice, so you picked a better part of NJ to relocate to, in my opinion. Best of luck!

PS. The state slogan, when I lived there, was, “NJ and you, perfect together!” I remember it well as it was freakin’ hilarious!

Thanks for your reply Trip. We love Charleston, it is quite beautiful. Only reason we’d move to Jersey is for this job, if I get it. Should know in a week or so. Still, it is one of the states I’ve never visited so if it pans out I’m looking forward to a new adventure. Best of luck with your own relo. Georgia is where I was born and raised, love the place. Metro Atlanta is huge and the traffic horrific, but it has a lot to offer from a quality of life standpoint.

Totally understandable! Thanks again - we are looking to relocate around the Alpharetta metro area. Home-wise we've seen similar $$$ to a NJ home but get a way bigger house and amenities... and as you said, a jump in quality of life. My firm has an office in Atlanta proper but I hope I never have to travel on a regular basis into that city lol - I have heard the traffic horrors. Probably on par (maybe a little worse [?] than NJ's peak time highway traffic). One of my wife's first objectives is to get a membership to the Atlanta Aquarium - she's been, I haven't yet, but is enamored with the aquatic life there! :)

I'm about 20 mi from Morristown but the other way so my rates might not be valid at all. I have PSE&G and my rates are higher than others close by in JCP&L territory. There is no TOU. Apparently there was at one time but no more although a few people seemed to have been granfathered in. I have tiers for the actual electricity and and also for the delivery charges so there are 6 or 7 tiers in all. But you can see it ranged from about 18.2 to 19.6 in August.

- - - edit - - -
Just realized I could have averaged it for you. The average was 19.46 (not including that fixed 4.95)

Snap2.jpg