Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Selling my F-150 Raptor for Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to ride in a P85D, and I was blown away! And, I've owned several fast performance cars in my life. However, I didn't pay much attention to anything other than the 0-60 time, including how well I fit in the car.

I'm a tall/big guy (6'8"/350 lbs.), so I typically daily drive full size trucks for the extra room. I absolutely love my F-150 Raptor, but I am still drawn to Teslas, especially now that I have Tesla solar/Powerwalls. My solar is expected to produce an excess of 7,000 to 8,000 kWh annually, so it should be good for 20,000 miles of EV use per year, which is just about what I drive.

I'm considering all Tesla vehicles, but the Model 3 seems to be the best bang for your buck, especially when it comes to having the newest tech (fastest charging, phone as key, etc.). I see that most Model 3 owners came from a sedan. Has anyone come from a full size truck or SUV, or high performance full size truck or SUV (Raptor, Trackhawk, etc.)? Any regrets?

My primary concern is that I won't fit comfortably (scheduling a test drive soon), but I am also concerned that the performance and tech will become a little boring after driving it for a while. I'm also concerned about reliability... I would like this vehicle to last at least 8 years and 160,000 miles with decent reliability.

Maybe consider a Model Y for the easier entry? Wait for a Cybertruck?

If you get bored with the performance, you won't be able to drive anything, since everything else will be boring too. In general, it seems driving reliability is good, once you get past any initial QC issues.

Reactions: Mperezkr
I'm 6'3, 290, and am comfortable in my Model 3 performance. However, I do sometimes bang my head / hips / legs on various parts while entering and exiting the car. The seat is good but it won't feel as big and sturdy as your Raptor.

FWIW - When I bought my Tesla I was deciding between it, a Raptor, or a Trackhawk. In the end, the technology won out and after 2 years of ownership and daily driving, the technology and performance still blow me away. It evolves with updates and just plain works. Zero issues in 2 years / 25k miles.

I am a similar height to some of the other responders here (I am 6'3 220 though). I find the model 3 fine as far as fit, and rode my brother ( 6'5 220, pro athlete build while I am not, lol) around in it and he fit "ok". I dont think OP will be comfortable in this vehicle, though given OPs general size.

OP might want to wait for a cybertruck, or if that styling is too "out there" (it is for me, for example), to look at the upcoming rivian or something.

I can't speak to your comfort, you'll have to decide that on the test drive. As far as the car getting boring, what I've found is that you rarely actually use the performance when driving. My previous car was a Porsche 911 - it was awesome on the off chance that I got an open stretch of road - and not particularly awesome the other 99% of the time. What really attracted me to the P3D was when you want to get slammed back into your seat and laugh at how ridiculously quick it is, you can - but all the other times its a great and relaxing driving experience. FSD/autopilot is 100% a game changer on highways and even a huge benefit driving around town. Not having to put the mental effort into constantly adjusting speed and steering is so much better. I bought the car because of the performance, but what I really found I love about it is how little effort I have to put into driving.

Edit: all the other cool tech gadgets are fun to show people but I found get old quick - some of them are handy when super charging though but I've found the super chargers are so fast I only have time to grab food and the car is ready to roll. Not much time to watch a movie or anything like that. The driver assist features are the best tech the car has and never get old.

Fitting isn't the issue - stepping into / sliding out of a new F-150 is easy but twisting into and particularly dragging yourself out of a Model 3 sucks by comparison.

Model 3 is awesome - I don't regret it, but miss lots of things like cooled seats, easy exit and ride height / view. Some things are obvious when test driving, others you only notice over time. Try and find a rental for a few days and see if it works for you.

Fitting isn't the issue - stepping into / sliding out of a new F-150 is easy but twisting into and particularly dragging yourself out of a Model 3 sucks by comparison.

Model 3 is awesome - I don't regret it, but miss lots of things like cooled seats, easy exit and ride height / view. Some things are obvious when test driving, others you only notice over time. Try and find a rental for a few days and see if it works for you.

Always an excellent idea! Turo to the rescue.

We have the 3 and Y right now. The Y is only about $4k more. Y performance is impressive. It is also rated to tow 3,500 lb. With a 5X8 trailer, I, in effect, have a F150 when I need it. I also have a hitch on the 3, but that is not from the factory.
Go for the Y

I have always had full-size cars or trucks, but am much more average height and weight.
I had a 3 for 2 weeks while my P85 was in for service, I couldn't imagine owning one yes the handling is nimble but I just found it too small.

I have a wife and two girls and 4 days a week I pick up 4 kids at school. Cargo wise I can't see it being enough room for trips. I know rear hip room is supposed to be more in the 3 but it still seemed smaller. Hauling Christmas stuff it seemed smaller too.
I couldn't imagine going to something small as a 3 from a truck.

I have a 2005 crewcab Sierra beater, back nd forth between the S and that js bad enough.

I went from a Toyota Tundra Crewmax to a model 3. I've had a truck or SUV for the last 30 years and i don't miss it one bit. My model 3 is almost a year old and better than when i bought it. My wife has a Mercedes GLS 450 that collects dust in the garage ( it's on a trickle charger)

I was able to take a look and sit in a Model 3 and Y. The Model 3 is definitely out... too small and difficult to get in and out of.

I was quite a bit surprised how different they look in person. Actually, the MY looks way better in person and fit me pretty well. I still want check out the MS, MX and Cybertruck before committing.

if a model X is in the budget, I am thinking you might be the most comfortable in that, but am interested in hearing what you decide.

Good luck and let us know!

I was in your position, I have a 2018 Raptor and couldn’t make up my mind so I bought an M3P as well with a view to giving it a year then deciding. So far I can see advantages with both, the Raptor is bomb-proof, potholes never an issue, very comfortable and practical. Tesla great fun and a much more interesting drive. Plenty of room in the Tesla for me, 6’4” 230 lbs. They’re so different I suspect making a choice would be really difficult so, as others have said the Cybertruck might be the best of both worlds if they actually make it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White