Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering switching from Audi SQ5 to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you place your order in early December (or even mid) you will most likely get delivered before the end of year.

They work like crazy to make their numbers and cars come fresh off the line to customers in just a few days.

They are amazing vehicles. The all electric drive makes them generations better than the ICE cars we are used to driving. Immediate throttle response compared to that lag usually seen on the turbo cars and waiting for the automatic transmissions to downshift a couple gears to find some torque.

@Diamond Hills, thanks, for the honest reply; very much appreciated.

I'm going to wait until December to place my order...thanks, for all of your replies on that topic.

Good to hear some of you switched from a Q5 to the MY and have been happy. My lease ends on the SQ5 this December and I was planning on purchasing it (only has 16,000 miles on it) but have always wanted a Tesla. In the past, it just didn't work for me due to needing to tow motorcycles but now that the MY can tow, it's got me rethinking things.

@hakunamattata It sounds like I could place the order myself then work with a local salesperson to have their name associated with my order so that I have a local contact? (I would build the relationship with a salesperson before placing the order)

My situation is similar to yours. I'm coming off an X5 hybrid lease in the fall also with low miles and looking to order MY in late November-December. I already have a level 2 charger (Juicebox Pro 40) installed in my garage. I haven't test driven the MY yet but I did test drive a model 3 in January and have been impatiently waiting to get into a Tesla since. I'm interested to see if the battery day announcements will take effect into newly produced MY's and whether Tesla will update MY specs (range, battery life, acceleration, price reduction?) as a result of the new single rear body casting mold which I understand has already been placed into service.

I'm interested to see if the battery day announcements will take effect into newly produced MY's and whether Tesla will update MY specs (range, battery life, acceleration, price reduction?) as a result of the new single rear body casting mold which I understand has already been placed into service.

My expectation is that they'll just preview stuff that's coming down the line. Having said that, I can also see Elon being tempted to cause market and stock price craziness by getting something to market sooner if he can - I wouldn't put it past him. Any significant increase in battery capacity of the current lineup would be absolutely unreal just as competitors are working their asses off to get anywhere close.

My situation is similar to yours. I'm coming off an X5 hybrid lease in the fall also with low miles and looking to order MY in late November-December. I already have a level 2 charger (Juicebox Pro 40) installed in my garage. I haven't test driven the MY yet but I did test drive a model 3 in January and have been impatiently waiting to get into a Tesla since. I'm interested to see if the battery day announcements will take effect into newly produced MY's and whether Tesla will update MY specs (range, battery life, acceleration, price reduction?) as a result of the new single rear body casting mold which I understand has already been placed into service.
If you place your order in early December (or even mid) you will most likely get delivered before the end of year.

They work like crazy to make their numbers and cars come fresh off the line to customers in just a few days.

They are amazing vehicles. The all electric drive makes them generations better than the ICE cars we are used to driving. Immediate throttle response compared to that lag usually seen on the turbo cars and waiting for the automatic transmissions to downshift a couple gears to find some torque.

That’s good to know that I can order and receive in December.

After I watched Doug's quirks and features of the etron I went out and test drove it to verify his Doug scores. The interior was just too much. And mind you, this was about a week after I test drove the MY. Drastic differences, as you can imagine. The thing drove pretty awesome, just like how you would expect from an Audi.

What turned me off?
-Styling. Wasn't much of a fan of the front end. And the crazy busy interior. For some reason, I thought the Q5 was a good balance. I wish the MY had a traditional cluster in front. Or at least a HUD.
-Model year skipping. They are skipping 2020 which probably means a new one for 2021? Would make the 2019 look dated.
-Color they were pushing for the crazy deals. They can't sell that aqua color, and they were basically giving that thing away.

That must be true. My son's friend bought an Etron in that color and got 20K$ off of MSRP.

Hi guys,
Apologies for reviving an older forum but I would appreciate your feedback. I'm changing from an Audi A4 and have narrowed down my choices to 2021 Q5 or Model Y (Toronto, Canada)

Everything, else aside, I'm having a hard time justifying the $12.5K + tax price difference between the two (Q5 @ $57.5k and MY @ $70k). While I like the EV future, MY instant torque, and minimalist interior, there is not much I dislike about the Q5 either. After doing all calculations and running numbers + keeping in mind 91 octane gas for Q5, it would still take approx 7-8 years to recoup the MY price premium based on avg 15,000km I drive annually and I'm not even sure I'd keep either car that long.

At the same price or even within 2-3k of each other, MY is an easy choice but the current price gap is hard to justify.

What are you thoughts and how do you look at this?

Thanks

Could always go LR dual motor Y and erase the cost difference. Are you comparing apples and oranges? why even look at the P if cost is of concern to worry about 91 octane vs regular? Stepping over dollars to grab pennies? How much faster than 4.2 seconds to 60 do you need and can the Q5 do it?

Reactions: richyrich
Hi guys,
Apologies for reviving an older forum but I would appreciate your feedback. I'm changing from an Audi A4 and have narrowed down my choices to 2021 Q5 or Model Y (Toronto, Canada)

Everything, else aside, I'm having a hard time justifying the $12.5K + tax price difference between the two (Q5 @ $57.5k and MY @ $70k). While I like the EV future, MY instant torque, and minimalist interior, there is not much I dislike about the Q5 either. After doing all calculations and running numbers + keeping in mind 91 octane gas for Q5, it would still take approx 7-8 years to recoup the MY price premium based on avg 15,000km I drive annually and I'm not even sure I'd keep either car that long.

At the same price or even within 2-3k of each other, MY is an easy choice but the current price gap is hard to justify.

Thanks
Sounds like you could afford either, so which one gives you more joy (in driving and in satisfaction in helping the planet)? Good luck with your decision! 😀

Hi guys,

Thanks
I just went from Q5 to a MY. Without question, go with the MY.

I loved my Q5 and during covid it's been a great car for roadtrips - however when it comes to the tech side of things, the Q5 doesn't come close. I also owned an A4 back in 2010 so have been a big Audi fan for years and can honestly say that I can't imagine going back to an ICE vehicle.

Slightly different car but I used to have an A3 Convertible and I LOVED MY CAR except for when it needed servicing which unfortunately, even though it was low mileage and only 5 years old when I got rid of it, happened too often for my liking. I was looking at the q5 hybrid, x3m and MYP. I ended up getting the MY because it just drove the best of the 3. The instant torque, even in the MYLR, makes it feel like a much faster car than the other cars I test drove. The only other car I test drove that compared was an audi rs5 but that was a 95k use car and my MYP is just as fast, bigger, more efficient and cost 20k use less.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I was looking at exact same 2 cars. The 8K Quebec new electric vehicle rebait helped with the decision.
So far I'm really enjoying the little silly things
-Every second car here is a Q5 so glad didn't get one.
-Kids love the glass roof and karaoke
-I love not going to gas stations and insurance is cheaper too for some reason.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Hi guys,

Thanks

I think you need to go drive them both, ideally for a few hours or a day and run some errands. It depends what's important to you but I know after two Teslas I could NEVER go back to gas - for me EV is a bit of a "way of life" because so many things are very different:
  1. performance - don't use it much of the time but it's fun/handy when I do
  2. convenience - "full tank" every morning - never have to fit a gas run into the schedule
  3. never having to go near a dealer
  4. the amazing tech and continuous improvements
  5. Autopilot making commuting and roadtrips a breeze
  6. lack of fumes/mess from oil and gas
  7. ease of use (no starting and stopping, gears, engine to look after etc)
  8. an element of feeling like I'm helping usher in a new era of EVs that would still be floundering without Tesla selling so many vehicles
  9. money savings as icing on the cake - I went from $4-500 per month on gas (pre-COVID, drive a lot) to $100 per month extra on hydro
I gotta say I hate driving gassers now and nobody in the house takes our gas car unless they really have to. To me a Q5 and a MY are apples and oranges - even though I had Audis and VWs for years (last car was a top of the line VW Touareg) I'd never ever go back even for half the price.

Glad this thread surfaced; I'm currently in a 2018 Q5 and really love that thing. I test drove a MYLR because I was bored on a weekend and fell in love! However, it lacks some basic tech that I use a LOT: blind spot monitoring (side mirrors have flashing lights in ascending order signalling how close a car is), rear/cross traffic alert, apple car play is huge for me since I take a LOT of work conference calls during my commute (36 miles each way). Any thoughts on the trade offs here? TIA!

Thank you all for the input so far guys.

@Staviski - yes, unfortunately Tesla hasn't adjusted the Canadian pricing to reflect change in exchange rates over the last year. Even with import/export + other duties staying the same, MY should really be around 62-64K Canadian now, but that's a whole another topic

@WADan - I already do a lot to help the planet :) but agree I can always do more. Thankfully I can purchase either car however just trying to figure out if paying EV premium right now makes sense

@Mathmatics - nice, great to hear this from an Audi owner. MY certainly takes the cake in tech

@kadify - yes, mechanic shops have visits are never fun nor cheap (mostly). I have had the A4 for about 5 years but above been lucky with no major repairs so far, except a steering column issue last fall. RS5 would've been fun but again MY is a much better and priced better at 70K (Canadian)

@BadAlien - QC *k rebate is fantastic but is it not limited to cars priced under 55K? Our Ontario rebate was phased out after last elections. TD quoted me $20/mth insurance increase for with MY. While that's not much, I had always assumed EV insurance was lower than ICE cars.

@richyrich - You'v listed some great reasoning for MY case. I drove MY for about 30 mins this week but yet to drive the 21 Q5. What an adrenaline rush with MY torque :). Tech was fairly easy to operate and liked how quiet it was but found the regen brake brake setting (HOLD) annoying. It wouldn't let me change to ROLL or CREEP for some reason.

Based on my research, I calculated approx $2000/yr for ICE gas and approx $400/yr for EV charging (only home). That's savings of $1600/yr which would take about 8.8 years to balance out the 12.5k+tax MYLR premium upfront. Factoring in ICE service visits or other unexpected repairs would certainly reduce that cash recovery time.

However, the fun factor of instant torque, the new tech, planet friendly driving, flat middle seat floor (back), more trunk space, OTA updates for new features make a pretty solid case for MYLR as well. Just trying to balance the sound financial vs ton fo fun here.

Choices, choices...almost feel sometimes we are spoilt for choices here :)

Reactions: rypalmer
@GeekyDoc - Audi does seem to have some nice features not available on MYLR but same goes the other way. I preferred the MYLR minimal interior but do feel (IMO) Audi interior feels bit more premium and I really liked that Virtual Cockpit for Navi/Speed.

Q5e base start here at $70,400 Canadian so at the point, MYLR is a clear winner by far.

Glad this thread surfaced; I'm currently in a 2018 Q5 and really love that thing. I test drove a MYLR because I was bored on a weekend and fell in love! However, it lacks some basic tech that I use a LOT: blind spot monitoring (side mirrors have flashing lights in ascending order signalling how close a car is), rear/cross traffic alert, apple car play is huge for me since I take a LOT of work conference calls during my commute (36 miles each way). Any thoughts on the trade offs here? TIA!
I have that same issue on the car play of it all. To be honest,
I do a bunch of calls all day long and if you sync your calendar with the Tesla, you can easily bring up one touch dial into conference calls. It’s much better than CarPlay or what my Audi would make me do to get into calls.