Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering taking the car to the drag strip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SO I was considering taking the car to the drag strip on the Geelong revival festival thingo but the criteria for the cars seems...quite ICE centric. I guess this is understandable to have minimum safety standards but when read through a Tesla owners eyes it can be quite humorous and there might be no way I can comply!

Car Requirements - Geelong Revival Motoring Festival

Some highlights:

The car must:

1) All automobiles shall, of necessity, in all competitions 2. be fitted with some form of protection between engine and driver’s compartment suitable and sufficient for preventing the passage of flame.

Comment: If my empty frunk blows up the world is literally on fire.

2) All automobiles must be fitted with an exhaust system the outlet pipe/s of which shall be directed either rearwards or sideways.

Comment: Surely my flatulence is not so bad as to necessitate an exhaust system. My car produces less omissions than I do.

3) have, on the external coachwork, a blue triangle of sides 150mm, which indicates the position of the battery

Comment: Is a sign that says "everywhere underneath" sufficient?

4) be fitted with a flame- or liquid-proof bulkhead, which may be of transparent material, which effectively separates the compartment occupied by the crew from any component of the fuel tank or re-fuelling system

Comment: How can I separate the fuel tank?

• Funny
Reactions: m4rtin
Clearly there are not many EVs going to the drags yet. While I agree they are ICE centric, I am not surprised, that’s why people who go to the drags are called ‘petrol heads’. I’m sure as more EV makers appear with cars that are capable of taking on some of the traditional attendees, they will update their criteria...

There are a stack of people taking their M3s to US drag strips. Might be worth checking where they race and finding out the construction rules used so that you can take a copy to the local strip and see if you can get some amendments.