TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Considering Tesla Solar

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Jkaufm32, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Jkaufm32

Jkaufm32 Member

Hopefully I wont catch to much for this post, but here it goes.

In March, I picked up my first Tesla (used Model S from Tesla). I have always been curious about the solar aspect since I purchased my house, but the cost of the system vs electricity generation never seemed to add up in my head (my co-worker and I would go back and forth regarding this and always came to the same conclusion). Fast forward to now, the pricing of the solar panels have come down considerably from Tesla and I have really been considering it.

I live on Long Island, NY. I have natural gas for heating and cooking. The electric company will buy-back electricity from houses with excess solar production. I believe PSEG also gives incentives to people that have 1 or more Powerwalls installed. I have been considering either the medium or large size system and possibly Powerwall/s as well.

My (stupid) question to people that have purchased solar from Tesla is, has it been worth it? Does the savings per month offset your loan payments? Is the amount of time until break-even worth it?

Also, I am considering the Cybertruck whenever that comes out so that would be an additional load on my electric costs.

2. GenSao

GenSao Member

#2 GenSao, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Powerwalls are a multifaceted product. Do keep in mind the added benefit of backup power. The natural gas/diesel generator equivalent that may cost $3,000-$6,000 (depending on features and region). Some do not factor the cost of this benefit.

With that said, going solar and/or batteries does depend on the cost difference of your local rates and when you use electricity. How much do you save by offsetting the energy you produce at a given time? This calculation is specific to each individual.

In my case, it is worth it. Especially in PG&E land. The spread between our peak summer rate and off peak rate is dramatic. The batteries help save on summer AC cost during peak periods. We are not worries about our power being cut off.

3. JayClark

JayClark Member

It was worth it in my case. Shaved about $2400/year off my electric bill, with a partial electric car (Chevy volt), and when we replace our other gas car with a full electric it should save me another $1200-2000/year in gas. But this is just my scenario, based on my local utility rate plans - so as others have/will say - you have to do the calculation based on your home power usage, your local rate options, and then weigh that against the cost of the system and the savings it will bring your specific home and lifestyle. In my case I couldn't make solar come even close to a reasonable payoff before the Powerwalls were available in my areas, because those are needed to offset the high peak rates and demand charges my utility charges during the windows where the sun for the most part doesn't shine.

4. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I will do the Powerwall or some other sort of battery system just to ensure we have power. We had 2 work days of PSPS (Public Safety Power ShutOff) outage since we work from home. Even using conservative costs estimates we lost near the price of a Powerwall in time and billings. Then there is the inconvenience of having to pack up and try to work someplace that has power without all the files, studio, etc that you have in your office.