Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering upgrade to adjustable suspension - need your input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to go with a fully custom built suspension, I had my Porsche mechanic here in Los Angeles build a suspension based on Lotus racing suspensions. The car is still in the shop I hope to pick it up this weekend. Went with stiffer springs than stock and dropped about 9lb of unsprung weight by swapping out the steel uprights for aluminum.

Please take pics, can't wait to hear about the outcome!

Wow! How much is it costing and does it impact the warranty?

My car is out of warranty, so no issues there. We focused on two line items, unsprung weight and new shocks/springs. It will have a few things above and beyond Tesla's performance suspension. Double adjustable - rebound and compression, ride hight adjustable with ability to corner balance, increased camber, more adjustability for caster and toe. For unsprung weight we are thinking we will lose about 12Lb. This will increase tire wear but I have not been as concerned as others about that, I'm hoping tire wear is limited to replacing fronts at same time as rears but rear tires may wear slightly faster too. Don't have final pricing yet but it will be more than Tesla's package. Here is a photo of all the parts we replaced.

On a side note Tesla would not sell the adjustable swaybars separately from their packaged upgrade and for that they suck.

IMG_4317.jpg

Actually they are Tesla specific.

Menlo Park told me differently, that they're just Eibach's and not specific. They said I could call Eibach if I wanted the set but I couldn't do that for the bilstein shock and springs since that was specific to Tesla. Now I'm lost.

If anyone can take the time and read the part number off their Eibach Sway Bars from a Roadster Sport that be great. I think I asked this 3x in the past and nobody responded :(

With that we can do some calling and find out what's true or false.

If you've done the cold weather upgrade for the PEM fan and shroud, you already have the adjustable rear sway bar. Only one version was built to fit around the new shroud.

If that's the case then like Henry indicated it IS Tesla specific and I don't see Eibach wanting to make a few batches for some random customers.... will ask Menlo to clarify the next time I'm in...

If that's the case then like Henry indicated it IS Tesla specific and I don't see Eibach wanting to make a few batches for some random customers.... will ask Menlo to clarify the next time I'm in...

I'll check for part numbers later this week. I have the old non-adjustable front sway bar in my garage and the adjustable ones are on the car. I'm now wondering if there are two versions of the rear adjustable sway bar, one standard and one custom for the fan/shroud upgrade.

I'll check for part numbers later this week. I have the old non-adjustable front sway bar in my garage and the adjustable ones are on the car. I'm now wondering if there are two versions of the rear adjustable sway bar, one standard and one custom for the fan/shroud upgrade.

Yes there are. I wonder what they did with hundreds of old rear sway bars after they were replaced with new ones? Same with all the old fans?

I had my fans and shroud replaced for my 1.5 non sport. I assume that they didn't change the sway bar? I wish there was a less expensive way to upgrade the suspension. I purchased the ESA so I'm under warranty for non battery items....

If it was the front fan with the shroud then the sway bar didn't get changed. If it was the rear PEM blower then yes, since the new blower design would have hit the old swaybar.

I poked my head under the car today to check for part numbers. Unfortunately they're printed on the centre of the sway bar so I'd have to remove the diffusers and shrouds to see them, which is a bigger project than I planned to take on. I was able to get the part number of the non-adjustable front sway bar, it might be possible to find the corresponding adjustable part number from Eibach.

Front Non-adjustable Sway Bar.png