Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering upgrade to adjustable suspension - need your input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There appears to be two different rear adjustable swaybars Tesla put on the 2.x Roadsters. One that goes out and around the double blower and one that that does not and is tucked more towards the front. The latter appeared to be smaller in diameter but it was still adjustable. This was on a 2.5 which was odd... the blower was off the car and it was up on the lift. I presumed it had the double blower but why would it have the regular swaybar that doesn't go around the blower. I compared it with the 2.0 I had which had a thicker swaybar and it did come out more towards the back of the car unlike the 2.5 swaybar.

OK sorry for the really dumb question: how does the "driver" adjust the suspension to their preference? The write up on the website makes it sounds like a knob in the car:), but reading this thread it sounds like it's a bit of an operation. I'm getting my CPO roadster 29 with this upgrade and want to give the shop any info they need to adjust the suspension before I pick it up...wish I was more of a car guy, although I think the roadster is taking me in that direction

The adjustments are under the car. I once adjusted my suspension without jacking the car or removing the wheels, but it wasn't easy!!! Especially for the rear, as you can't turn the wheels.

Best procedure is to jack up the car, pop the wheel off, adjust, and put the wheel back on.

It's fairly easy to adjust the front shocks without removing the wheels; you just have to turn the wheel to one side. Adjusting the shocks is a simple matter of adjusting a dial. Adjusting the sway bar requires undoing a bolt and reattaching it (on each side); it's doable without taking the wheel off, but it's not easy.

For the rear, well, I once adjusted the shocks without removing the wheels (didn't have a jack handy) but it was so incredibly awkward that I wouldn't recommend it.

It's easy if you take the wheels off first. For that you will require a low profile shop jack and a torque wrench.

If you aren't comfortable doing basic car maintenance like swapping wheels, then I would get the service center to adjust it.

By default they come with comfort settings. I believe that is 3 on all shocks and middle on both sway bars. That's a good "comfort" setting, if there is such a thing on a Roadster.

Personally, as I've pointed out before, I prefer shocks 7 front, 8 rear; sway bars loose front, middle rear. That's a "sporty" setup.

Yes I did see your preference posted here and thought about asking for those settings when I pick up the car. I've driven a 1.5 with standard suspension and I definitely felt the road and the steering was slightly tough..of course not having power steering is like that.

I feel comfortable taking wheels off and adjusting the shocks. I'll talk to the service center about setting the front bar loose vs middle.

Thanks very much Doug!!

@sethr - did you ever discover the best “comfort” setting on the Adjustable Suspension for daily driving? My latest 2.5 Sport is quite harsh (compared to prior cars of the same version) and I suspect it’s on a more sporty setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had Tesla set the the front sway bar to the outermost hole, the rear to the middle hole, and the shocks to the softest for the front, next from softest on the rear shocks. Been happy ever since. Mind you, as others have noted, it still is a quite firm ride. You really feel the bumps, joints and potholes. But this is not a luxury car, it's very much a sports car. I love driving it. Best of luck and have fun!