Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Used Model S vs New Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking on the EV-CPO site and Tesla Inventory site and I think the sub $50k range for AP1 cars is optimistic, except for the times they add huge batches and blow them out all at once. To get something in the $40k you have to have a sales person searching inventory for you before they hit the website.

Absolutely a best practice to have a good owner advisor on your side since *most* of the great deals never get to the website(s).

Same with either having the cash on hand or being pre-qualified at a credit union.

There weren't many RWD AP1 cars to begin with, and they go fast when they hit the market. RWD is nice since you get the full-sized frunk and microwave instead of today's microfrunk that won't even hold a set of golf clubs. AWD isn't needed most of the year and in most of the country, but it, along with air suspension, do seem to be the current gotta-have features nonetheless.

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
The more I think about it the more my OA wasn't working for me at all! Like some of you, I initially was interested in a CPO. His first reaction was to steer me to a new stating its about the same price. He just wasn't interested in sitting in from of the computer and work the search days on end. If your OA will do it for you, that's awesome! Send him a gift card afterwards as I hear they don't get pay that much (got the info from those company review website submitted by employees).

The more I think about it the more my OA wasn't working for me at all! Like some of you, I initially was interested in a CPO. His first reaction was to steer me to a new stating its about the same price. He just wasn't interested in sitting in from of the computer and work the search days on end. If your OA will do it for you, that's awesome! Send him a gift card afterwards as I hear they don't get pay that much (got the info from those company review website submitted by employees).

Did his name start with an H?

Well, the choice is now harder... Elon says the Model 3 is gonna get both Air Suspension and AWD (as options, or, technically, one big option package) in the next few months:

Tesla Model 3 will have Smart Air Suspension option, linked to dual motor configuration

This definitely narrows the gap between the 3 and the Model S.

Seems like kind of bad idea in a way (mucho cannibalization of MS sales), unless the idea is either to price 'loaded' 3s pretty near to lower-end MSes, and/or intro some pretty significant upgrades to lower-end MSes soon (or a price cut).

(And if lower-end MSes get improvements and/or a price cut, I wonder what that'll do, if anything, to CPO prices?)

Well, after due consideration, I'm forced to admit that emotion plays a pretty big role in this decision. And, emotionally... I'm just more into the Model S than the Model 3. Plus, I don't want to wait until 2019 to get a new ride, which is what it's looking like with a 3. o_O

So, I'll be looking at a CPO MS down the road, hopefully one with AP1, and, if I'm lucky, Air Suspension. Range is pretty key, too.

Add it all up, and looking at what models will be in good supply (i.e. will be coming off leases in the coming next few months, and DON'T cost an arm & a leg)... looks like it'll probably be some kind of RWD 85, if I were to bet. :cool:

Thanks, everybody. Your input definitely helped clarify some things.

Reactions: jjh1234
PS - Here's a possibly silly question... if the CPO car comes with Autopilot Hardware 1 (but no AP1), can you then have AP1 activated for a fee?

I contacted Tesla about this when I was looking at a 2015 70D with AP1 hardware only. They said it would be available to me once I changed ownership and registered on My Tesla web site. I think they quoted me $3,000 but I could be mistaken. You should get the VIN from the owner and confirm with Tesla HQ or your local Service Center on price and availability. Also have the current owner check. Maybe the price would be different for him and you can have him do it and pay him.

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock