Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering used Model S. what limitaions for early models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a long time Prius driver and looking to move to a Tesla. I am looking at an early 2012 Model S and I want to ask what capabilities and features are not supported on an older Model S over a recent Model S. Does a 2012 have all the same autodrive capabilites with the latest software?

Note that the 2012s (and some 2013s) will have the "A" battery pack which won't charge as fast at a Supercharger as the "B" or later packs. You can check this by looking at the battery marking on the front passenger's side wheel well. If Supercharging isn't an issue for you then there's no problem.

I am a long time Prius driver and looking to move to a Tesla. I am looking at an early 2012 Model S and I want to ask what capabilities and features are not supported on an older Model S over a recent Model S. Does a 2012 have all the same autodrive capabilites with the latest software?
In addition to no autopilot - the 2012 Model S's wont have (nonexhaustive list):
Parking Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Yacht Floor
Auto-closing charge port
Long Hill-Hold
AWD

The rear suspension went though some interesting iterations. Here is what I have from memory-
Initial cars had very soft bushing on the upper and lower rear a-arms. This caused some movement in the back of the car and may have affected the ability of the car to hold alignment. I believe all signature cars have this issue (others please correct me if I am wrong here).
The P+ suspension was then moved into all production cars effectively changing out the bushings for much harder rubber parts. People trying to upgrade older cars to the P+ suspension learned that the rear motor cradle had to be changed as well. Apparently the change in lower a-arm bushings somehow affected the pick up points. The moral to this is that very early cars may not be moved to the newer suspension without significant cost.
Tesla has now moved to a stiff inner bushing and metal ball style (like the lower a-arm outer joint) outer joint on the upper rear suspension arm. These are interchangeable with the hard bushing upper arms described above.

Another Prius driver here - We bought a CPO 2013 85S last year and love it. Its simply an amazing machine. We don't have the bells such as autopilot and sensors, but since we never had them, we don't really miss them. The car has performed superbly to date and the Tesla service people have been fantastic. Enjoy the ride.