Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering used X, which year model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which year model did the most current autopilot and computer start?
..... or what should I consider to be the oldest model X to look at for the most capable and future proofed autopilot features?

Looking at the used X inventory through Tesla, i see some listed with "Original Autopilot", some with "Autopilot", and some apparently don't have autopilot at all....

I'm just not totally up to speed as to what that all really means.
I know there have been computer capability upgrades over the years, I the modern autopilot is a huge draw for me....if not the lure for some of the full self driving features....

I have been considering ordering a long range Y. It fits my price point and needs ...(well nearly I'm a truck guy but I really don't need a truck very often)

What little bit I really use a truck for I can use either the cargo bay in the Y or tow a small trailer for it.... it's pretty rare.

I like most everything about the Y. Took a test drive with the family and all three kids fit even....

My only tripping point is my boat. The overall weight is fine but the tongue weight measures 400# so it's just a trip over capacity for the Y. Maybe an X would be a better fit.

So, I'm starting to just consider a used X as an option, since they can be had for about the same price point. I'm not opposed to low mile used...in fact I've never owned a new car.... but I will admit to being a bit soft on the idea of a used EV. I'm just a bit nervous about getting an abused battery, but maybe I can get over that??

I've not test driven one, but I like the dual screen and less minimalists interior in the X... and with the additional seating row it might be an even better fit for my family anyway.

2019. Any vehicle earlier is a giant waste of your time and money. The first thing is the main MCU computer. Tesla’s FSD/HW3 chip severely injuries your vehicle. There are multiple posts regarding this issue. There was a story of 911 emergency where the vehicle top up to 15-20 to start causing the occupants to dial 911 for an ambulance. 2019-present is what you should be paying attention to as theses vehicles will result in a happier experience with $0 costs over the life of the vehicle.

Which year model did the most current autopilot and computer start?
..... or what should I consider to be the oldest model X to look at for the most capable and future proofed autopilot features?

Looking at the used X inventory through Tesla, i see some listed with "Original Autopilot", some with "Autopilot", and some apparently don't have autopilot at all....

I'm just not totally up to speed as to what that all really means.
I know there have been computer capability upgrades over the years, I the modern autopilot is a huge draw for me....if not the lure for some of the full self driving features....

I have been considering ordering a long range Y. It fits my price point and needs ...(well nearly I'm a truck guy but I really don't need a truck very often)

What little bit I really use a truck for I can use either the cargo bay in the Y or tow a small trailer for it.... it's pretty rare.

I like most everything about the Y. Took a test drive with the family and all three kids fit even....

My only tripping point is my boat. The overall weight is fine but the tongue weight measures 400# so it's just a trip over capacity for the Y. Maybe an X would be a better fit.

So, I'm starting to just consider a used X as an option, since they can be had for about the same price point. I'm not opposed to low mile used...in fact I've never owned a new car.... but I will admit to being a bit soft on the idea of a used EV. I'm just a bit nervous about getting an abused battery, but maybe I can get over that??

I've not test driven one, but I like the dual screen and less minimalists interior in the X... and with the additional seating row it might be an even better fit for my family anyway.
I bought a used (2017) X after comparing the Y and the X. Love it and have no regrets.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...There was AP1, which was what Model X started out with and had until 10/16, when AP2 took over. AP2.5 was released 6/18. AP3 was released 4/19. AP1 was built by Mobileye. Although it still functions well, it does not, and will never, support fully autonomous driving. It cannot be upgraded beyond its current capabilities. AP2 was built in-house by Tesla, uses a slightly lower rez camera suite, and can be upgraded to AP3 and will be able to fully self-drive. AP2.5 uses a higher rez camera suite but cannot perform all the autonomous driving functions but can be upgraded (free) to AP3. AP3 is the latest, greatest iteration and can holds all the magic to be able to self drive. When searching for used Xs on the Tesla site, here's what to look for:

Original Autopilot - This means the car is equipped with the AP1 suite of but not turned on to perform all functions.
Autopilot with Convenience Features - This means the entire suite is turned on and all functions with work
Autopilot - Has either AP2, 2.5, or 3 but only basic AP is functional.
Full Self Driving Capability - The hardware is on and capable of the max level of functionality.

Hope this helps.

hey, excellent info...I've got some reading to do when I can get some time later this evening!

It seems though that the short of it is as long as it says "full self driving capability" on Tesla's site, then it'll have autopilot by default and the best level of function possible at this time.... is that about right?

And another side question...do all x's have a hitch from the factory?

hey, excellent info...I've got some reading to do when I can get some time later this evening!

It seems though that the short of it is as long as it says "full self driving capability" on Tesla's site, then it'll have autopilot by default and the best level of function possible at this time.... is that about right?

And another side question...do all x's have a hitch from the factory?

Yes, if the vehicle says FSD capable, than you are free to upgrade at any time.

I do not believe so. The tow hitch is a $1,250 extra on the Tesla shop.
Model X Tow Package

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and Dechidus
free to upgrade...meaning I'd have to pay extra to get autopilot and pay extra to get FSD?

Yes, (I would have to check with the service center to see what form of Autopilot currently exists on the vehicle). As far as FSD itself, you would pay for the feature at it’s current price of $8,000 or higher depending on when you wish to add. The price is expected to be $10,000 by Oct.

Tesla is also expected to release a subscription version for FSD. Expected by end of year 2020.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and Dechidus
I do not believe so. The tow hitch is a $1,250 extra on the Tesla shop.
Model X Tow Package
I am almost sure that changed in mid-2017 so all Xs include the Tow package. That shop purchase option may be for cars before that.
Wait ... checked the shop link above. In fact, it says all 'new' ones come with the package.
O1Y7laC.jpg

Tesla currently uses the term “full self driving capable” to mean that the FSD option has already been purchased/applied to the car. I don’t particularly like the term “capable” for this, since all of the cars in the past 3 years have been sold with hardware that was advertised as being capable of FSD, with the purchase of the FSD software turned on as a separate topic. In 2018 Tesla admitted a hardware upgrade would be needed (to HW3), but said it would be “given for free” to those who purchased FSD. Anyway, there is ample reason to find this confusing. Bottom line is if you are looking at Tesla’s used inventory and it lists FSD capable, you do not need to pay any extra to get FSD.

I would note that the adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping included in the basic autopilot is 95% of what I use, love, and could not live without. The only things that I actually care about for FSD are: change lane (upon me suggesting it or agreeing to the car’s suggestion) and the upgraded HW3 hardware. Although Tesla’s official line is that HW3 doesn’t improve basic autopilot, I found it much smoother in curves after my car was upgraded to HW3.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...There was AP1, which was what Model X started out with and had until 10/16, when AP2 took over. AP2.5 was released 6/18.
AP2.5 actually came out in Aug 2017. And going back to the original question posed as the title thread: What year to consider for a used model X, and my answer would be anything built after this date. And if built before March 2018, plan to spend another $2500 on the MCU2/infotainment upgrade.

Reactions: scottf200
so if the original owner already paid for FSD at the time they bought, wouldn't it be included?

Not necessarily. Tesla has removed software enabled features like FSD software and (server side software enabled) Free Unlimited Supercharging (FUSC) from used cars they or other dealers sell. If you buy from private party there is a higher likelihood they will pass through. But especially with FUSC it depends how the original owner go this. On 2018 and later cars it will not pass through. On early cars it may pass through.

But even the base cars without FSD have things like traffic aware cruise control which is what most people want. FSD adds things like auto lane changes, lane change on turn signal, and Navigate on AP to do automated freeway to freeway following. I have these and the only one I use with any regularity is lane change on signal.

free to upgrade...meaning I'd have to pay extra to get autopilot and pay extra to get FSD?
If it says "Full Self Driving Capability", you (theoretically) wouldn't have to invest another cent to be able to "full self drive". Depending on what HW version you have, you MAY have to upgrade to HW3 (it's free to do so) but you wouldn't be required to upgrade the MCU if you didn't want to. I did, however, and it changed my car from a "used car" to a "new car". It's a big difference and the best (imo) $2150 or $2500 you'll invest in this vehicle.

Reactions: Bigriver
I bought mines 2 months ago, March 2017 build, and it said FSD capability. That means it comes with AP 2.0 minimum and its eligible for the fsd computer upgrade, free. I just did the upgrade along with MCU 2 infotainment upgrade and its litteraly the same as my model 3 in terms of tech ( except for the motor of course)

Try ev-cpo.com to find the features you want. The only bad part is no ability to search by location.

You can search, sort, and filter by location on EV-CPO.

First, enable the "Location" column in the column selector (Under "Base Info"):

upload_2020-7-28_9-53-49.png

Second, you'll now see the "Location" column in the data table.

You can then use the "Search" bar (top right) to enter any search term or location.
You can also click on the "Location" column header to sort by location.

upload_2020-7-28_9-55-45.png

Finally, on the "Advanced Options" page, you can limit the results to any US state (or multiple states) you wish.
You can also choose to exclude particular states (for instance California which charges local sales tax to out of state buyers):

upload_2020-7-28_9-56-17.png

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Last edited: