Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering used X, which year model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
get a December 2016 build with a 100 battery, AP2.0, and FSD.
Upgrade the MCU to MCU2 and the AP3 hardware is free since you have FSD.
You'll have the latest tech, a solid battery, and save over 50% from new
This. Only downside is you will lose FM radio when you upgrade the MCU. You can even wait to upgrade the MCU2, as long as Tesla continues to offer it.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
assume you mean AM radio?

I had read where teslas don't have AM.... which is a serious bummer to me since I listen to AM more than half the time typically...but as Kentucky pointed out....I had been assuming I could probably just find something to stream most of the time...

I didn't get a chance yesterday to dig into those references earlier to better understand the history of these variants.... hopefully this evening. I did notice though that most of the X's that are inline with the model Y price don't have full self driving capable listed...AND have very short range specified... I've got some studying to do.

assume you mean AM radio?

I had read where teslas don't have AM.... which is a serious bummer to me since I listen to AM more than half the time typically...but as Kentucky pointed out....I had been assuming I could probably just find something to stream most of the time...

I didn't get a chance yesterday to dig into those references earlier to better understand the history of these variants.... hopefully this evening. I did notice though that most of the X's that are inline with the model Y price don't have full self driving capable listed...AND have very short range specified... I've got some studying to do.
Keep reaching out; most of us in this forum are more than happy to help with any questions or concerns you may have. I went from a Model 3 to a Model X and it was the smart choice for me and my situation.

New assume you mean AM radio?

Model S and Model X vehicles built March 2018 or earlier all have AM and FM radio (and some have XM depending on configuration), as they all have MCU1, which uses an analog radio tuner located below the steering wheel by the driver's knee.

Model S and Model X vehicles with factory built MCU2 lost AM radio but they still have FM radio. This, due to the digital radio tuner used by MCU2.

Vehicles that went through the Infotainment Upgrade had their MCU1 replaced with an MCU2, but they didn't have their analog tuner replaced, so they loose all radio functions, (as well as XM if equiped), after the upgrade. That's what @Krash and @Kentucky3 were referring to...

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200 and Krash
@Art_Vandelay, nice summary.

The thing that surprises me the most about the whole radio thing is that anyone still listens to the radio. XM radio drove me crazy years ago to pay for their subscription then get inundated with as many ads as on the airwaves, so it’s been off my list for a decade. And in the past 3 years I didn’t even realize my model X had radio. So I’m one who did the infotainment upgrade without a single regret. No loss here. Streaming works for me.

What used Model X year can take advantage of V3 superchargers? Did an extensive search to confirm but only read some comments stating 2020 or newer can, especially ones with Raven powertrain. Looking for a Long Range Plus to get farthest range and fastest charging. Asked a seller who is selling a 2019, they said there can change up to 250 kWh, but is there a way to confirm without traveling out of state? Thank you.

What used Model X year can take advantage of V3 superchargers?
AFAIK all versions of model X can use V3 superchargers… I am guessing that your concern is the charging rate. I have seen as high as 180 kW for my 2017 100D MX. but the peak means little as it quickly comes down from that peak.
Asked a seller who is selling a 2019, they said there can change up to 250 kWh, but is there a way to confirm without traveling out of state?
Don’t understand the traveling out of state part…. I don’t know any way to confirm other than to test it at a V3 supercharger. Of course a lot of variables affect the charging rate and there sometimes even seems to be SC stall to stall variations.

AFAIK all versions of model X can use V3 superchargers… I am guessing that your concern is the charging rate. I have seen as high as 180 kW for my 2017 100D MX. but the peak means little as it quickly comes down from that peak.

Don’t understand the traveling out of state part…. I don’t know any way to confirm other than to test it at a V3 supercharger. Of course a lot of variables affect the charging rate and there sometimes even seems to be SC stall to stall variations.
Thank you for the responses. Apologize for the confusion, that is right, would like to get a Model X used year than can do the max charge rates or overall faster supercharging times when we go on road trips. We currently have a 2016 Model X 75D and I don't I've seen ours charge above 100 kWh at the supercharger. Don't want to upgrade to a brand new Model X because of the high cost but would like to purchase for a used Model that can charge faster and travel farthest (believe the long range plus is the longest 358 miles rated).

The traveling out of state part is, when I find a seller that is out of state, is there a way I can verify if the model year can charge at faster rates?

I bought a used (2017) X after comparing the Y and the X. Love it and have no regrets.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...There was AP1, which was what Model X started out with and had until 10/16, when AP2 took over. AP2.5 was released 6/18. AP3 was released 4/19. AP1 was built by Mobileye. Although it still functions well, it does not, and will never, support fully autonomous driving. It cannot be upgraded beyond its current capabilities. AP2 was built in-house by Tesla, uses a slightly lower rez camera suite, and can be upgraded to AP3 and will be able to fully self-drive. AP2.5 uses a higher rez camera suite but cannot perform all the autonomous driving functions but can be upgraded (free) to AP3.
AP3 is the latest, greatest iteration and can holds all the magic to be able to self drive. When searching for used Xs on the Tesla site, here's what to look for:

Original Autopilot - This means the car is equipped with the AP1 suite of but not turned on to perform all functions.
Autopilot with Convenience Features - This means the entire suite is turned on and all functions with work
Autopilot - Has either AP2, 2.5, or 3 but only basic AP is functional.
Full Self Driving Capability - The hardware is on and capable of the max level of functionality.

Hope this helps.
Great summary!

Not sure if 2.5 can be upgraded (free) to AP3. I have EAP '17 X on the way and rep said I would have to pay for 3 upgrade from MCU2/ AP2.5 I hope you're right. Has EAP I can subscribe for FSD for $99/mo.

Original Autopilot - This means the car is equipped with the AP1 suite of but not turned on to perform all functions.
Autopilot with Convenience Features - This means the entire suite is turned on and all functions with work

These two are actually the exact same thing -- AP1. Very, very few cars had AP1 hardware without the software enabled. You had to opt-out of the Tech Package to do this, which not many people did. There was no subset (other than Automatic Emergency Braking) of AP1 that could be enabled different from "Autopilot with Convenience Features".

Tesla changed the name a few times, though. It started out as "Tech Package with Autopilot", then "Autopilot with Convenience Features", and then most recently "Highway Autopilot".

AP1 includes:

— Autosteer
— Adaptive Cruise Control
— Auto lane changes with turn signal
— Lane Departure Warning system
— Automatic emergency braking
— Blind spot warning system
— Autopark (self-parallel & perpendicular park)
— Summon (enter or exit parking spots without driver input)

…Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong…AP2 was built in-house by Tesla, uses a slightly lower rez camera suite, and can be upgraded to AP3 and will be able to fully self-drive. AP2.5 uses a higher rez camera suite but cannot perform all the autonomous driving functions but can be upgraded (free) to AP3. AP3 is the latest, greatest iteration and can holds all the magic to be able to self drive…

A couple clarifications…

AP2 used nVidia hardware. Later generations used in-house designs.

Depending on your definition of “self drive” these cars, as well as later and future versions, may never do so.

AP2.5 was the same resolution but improved color filtering.

HW4 was announced at the time of the above post and is now released. That version is unlikely to be retrofitable. Much higher definition cameras are exected.

Last edited:
Does MCU2+AP2.5 mean my used X was upgraded so less likely to have yellowing, lag soon?…
Yes. MCU2 is less laggy and the screen should be the newer one.
…Would upgrading to AP3 help any with MCU lag or 2 separate systems?
No, AP computer is a separate system and can not-yet-FSD your car even while the MCU is rebooting.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh