Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering winter tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think having both, winter and summer tyres is the best option for sure. However, for our climate the all weather tyres seem like the logical choice.
Maybe cars should be fitted with all season tyres from the factory, instead of tyres which you should only use half the time.

But going forward, having a set of CC2 available looks like a nice option especially Nov and March/Apr time when variable temperature extremes. But will they be to replace the PS4's (?) or the Sottozeros? On a steep hill with snow for a few days every 2-3 years, I would be loathed to get rid of full winters.

If I hadn't tried the full winters, and if I had had the confidence in the car that I now have, it would be an easier choice to make! Anyway ... the winters are not worn out yet so the decision can wait until our small team of CC2 users have tried a few challenging days with snow and ice! Do we have anybody with the CC2 who is RWD as against AWD (i.e. SR+)?

Reactions: MrBadger
I am collecting Model 3 LR 18" wheels in December and want to put CC2 on it. Would it be difficult to sell the tyres that come with it? How much can I ask for them ? What would be the best place to sell them?

Last edited:
How much can I ask for them ? What would be the best place to sell them?

Not a bad place to start

Reactions: stiopa
No I get it, I am from Scotland and we do get a fair bit of snow. I still do think all seasons will be ok for most of us.
I come from Bavaria originally and there we definitely needed winter tyres. I recall a particular drive to Vienna in -25 degree in a complete white out and snow covering on the motorway higher than the car clearance. A FWD Golf with winter tyres coped perfectly.
Here it’s more the odd day to get up the hill when it’s just started to snow and the roads haven’t been cleared.

Here it’s more the odd day to get up the hill when it’s just started to snow and the roads haven’t been cleared

They clear your roads of snow in Scotland! I have to go out and do ours. Usually after some car spinning it’s wheels has melted the top layer and compacted it to ice.

In the past we have had the odd occasion that we needed to abandon the car at the foot of the road. I wasn’t happy doing that with a 12 year old VW let alone our Tesla - hence wanting winter tyres to give us a fighting chance of getting the car safely back on the drive.

That's great to know we will have more people on the CC2 now. Real feedback from real usage is going to be invaluable.

I have the CC2 installed for 16k miles now. No complains. Really good performance on dry and wet. Haven't been on snow I am afraid :)
Wattage slightly raised at the beginning but after the first 3-5k miles no obvious difference.
Only one issue; they can be quite noisy, especially when they are new on wet.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
They clear your roads of snow in Scotland! I have to go out and do ours. Usually after some car spinning it’s wheels has melted the top layer and compacted it to ice.

In the past we have had the odd occasion that we needed to abandon the car at the foot of the road. I wasn’t happy doing that with a 12 year old VW let alone our Tesla - hence wanting winter tyres to give us a fighting chance of getting the car safely back on the drive.
If it’s that bad, I’d get some snow socks, just in case?

It can be getting on to the road that can be the problem sometimes! During an exceptional snowfall in 2018 we decided to leave the car where it was as it was deeper than the clearance underneath and we didn't need to go anywhere immediately. I fully expected it to melt away at least partially but it just snowed a couple of more times over the week and compacted. I had to give in eventually and clear a channel but the snow was so solid I had to cut it out in igloo style blocks and create "the great wall" as it became known! I finished the job in darkness and just had enough strength left to take a couple of pictures (and I wasn't on winter tyres that year!):
P1010876.JPG

P1010871.JPG

Reactions: MrBadger
No I get it, I am from Scotland and we do get a fair bit of snow. I still do think all seasons will be ok for most of us.
I come from Bavaria originally and there we definitely needed winter tyres. I recall a particular drive to Vienna in -25 degree in a complete white out and snow covering on the motorway higher than the car clearance. A FWD Golf with winter tyres coped perfectly.
Here it’s more the odd day to get up the hill when it’s just started to snow and the roads haven’t been cleared.
No you don't get it. You're still treating Scotland as having the same weather throughout the country. It varies considerably in different parts of the country. The East coast is (in my humble Western opinion) significantly colder than the West. The North East is Baltic - almost literally :) I'm sure there are parts of the rest of UK that are the same.

Also if you live on a hill, then the odd day is every day for 2-3 weeks of the year. Main roads get cleared - residential streets less so. So as @VanillaAir_UK and @Adopado say in the above post, most of the battle can be getting to and from your street.
As I'm expecting to have to travel to the NE quite often this winter and at short notice, I'm not going to take chances with tyres that are a compromise. Long term the costs will be very similar.

It varies considerably in different parts of the country. The East coast is (in my humble Western opinion) significantly colder than the West. The North East is Baltic - almost literally :) I'm sure there are parts of the rest of UK that are the same.

Yes, there are surprising anomalies ... we (south of Scotland) were warmer than Southampton last night/early morning ... and tonight Shetland (furthest north of all) will be 7 degrees about the same as Southampton but the south of Scotland is expecting 0c (our first proper frost I think)! In terms of east west it's normally colder but drier in the east but milder and wetter in the west ... I'm right in the middle and I sometimes think we get the worst of both!

We live just south of Salisbury on the north facing side of a ridge. Our road is unadopted and little more than a track. Frost or snow, or both, make the track impossible without winter tyres.
One car is AWD and has full winter tyres on it.
The other is RWD with no electronic driver aids, so this morning I fitted Michelin Cross Climate tyres on 18" wheels.
It will be interesting to see how the M3 AWD manages, I anticipate that because we have so much control of torque and can use a mud and snow setting it should be better than an ICE AWD car. No doubt I'll find out.

IMG_0598.jpeg

Reactions: init6 and Adopado
One car is AWD and has full winter tyres on it.
The other is RWD with no electronic driver aids, so this morning I fitted Michelin Cross Climate tyres on 18" wheels.
It will be interesting to see how the M3 AWD manages, I anticipate that because we have so much control of torque and can use a mud and snow setting it should be better than an ICE AWD car. No doubt I'll find out.

Despite the inbuilt "extra challenges" of the RWD car ... very nice ... from all the tests I've seen to date any car on standard/summer tyres is not going to match a car on winters despite AWD and the rather impressive capabilities of Tesla traction control ... it'll be a great test!

Reactions: init6 and Peter 224