Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering winter tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about getting some winter tyres and rims. Noticed that the Tesla shop just has chains. Does anyone have any thoughts on advisability of winter tyres on a M3LR and if yes, what tyres and rims did you go for?
£3000 for tyres and wheels I was quoted, or tyres only for £1100 (Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie 3), both fully fitted, on an LR with Aero Wheels. I opted for the latter. Absolutely bomb proof in ample Scottish snow for a week last winter. Do you really need them in your neck of the woods (I passed through on way to FC Live at Farnborough)?

5 miles from Farnborough - not uncommon in the winter months. And probably 2 in every 3 years our road becomes pretty impassable due to snow and ice until we go out and clear inch thick ice compacted because people try and drive up the road skidding their wheels which melts the top surface. It’s very hilly around here. Always promised a set of winters when we changed car and even though due to lockdown we have not needed to use our Sottozero’s in anger, very glad that we have them available. An hour or so swapping them over twice a year has become a bit of a winter/spring is here ritual.

1634850120052.jpeg

Last edited:
£3000 for tyres and wheels I was quoted, or tyres only for £1100 (Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie 3), both fully fitted, on an LR with Aero Wheels. I opted for the latter. Absolutely bomb proof in ample Scottish snow for a week last winter. Do you really need them in your neck of the woods (I passed through on way to FC Live at Farnborough)?
Actual snow is only half the story for winter tyres. The benefit comes in low temperatures for the kind of damp/wet mixed with a bit of salt road conditions that most of the UK experiences. Certainly anyone who has an early start in the morning will likely see those conditions at temperatures of 7c and below when the real advantage kicks in.

Its useful having spare set of rims and nearly had to use one over Xmas period when it would have been impossible to get a replacement. That would have saved cancelling an important family trip. Thankfully not needed in the end. I could have done it another way, but the spare set is multi functional and far less of a compromise than a single spare - I would have found a 5/600 mile trip on a space saver a bit of a chore.

Plus we do not risk damaging the rims or TPMS twice a year.

I also find the convenience of being able to DIY swap at will far outweighes the small additional cost of an extra set of rims/tpms. Might be a different matter if the car was only going to be kept a few years though.

Reactions: pow216 and init6
Its useful having spare set of rims and nearly had to use one over Xmas period when it would have been impossible to get a replacement. That would have saved cancelling an important family trip. Thankfully not needed in the end. I could have done it another way, but the spare set is multi functional and far less of a compromise than a single spare - I would have found a 5/600 mile trip on a space saver a bit of a chore.

Plus we do not risk damaging the rims or TPMS twice a year.

I also find the convenience of being able to DIY swap at will far outweighes the small additional cost of an extra set of rims/tpms. Might be a different matter if the car was only going to be kept a few years though.
And it gives you 4 more chances to kerb the wheels! :)

• Funny
Reactions: rotor2k
There were a couple of weeks last year when about the only car in our road that could move was my old Range Rover with chunky tyres. Once on the main road it’s not so bad…

There are many items where you need to deal with parts centres direct

Reactions: init6
There are many items where you need to deal with parts centres direct

This ^^^
I phoned the Edinburgh number (Glasgow isn't listed) and the call was centrally answered and directed to Glasgow. Spoke to someone at the parts department and he raised a quote for me.

Reactions: whitelight
I'm getting some CrossClimates 2 put on my LR at the weekend, as i live a bit up a hill in Scotland so snow can be a problem sometimes. (Although first time buying new tyres will mean mild winter for the next couple years :D )

My Pilot sport 4's have only done 2.5k miles so i will still put them back on next summer to make both set's of tyres last the lease period of the car...
@C225 How are you finding the drive with the CC2? How are the noise levels? I know both are subjective, but looking for real world feedback

@C225 How are you finding the drive with the CC2? How are the noise levels? I know both are subjective, but looking for real world feedback
Only fitted this morning which took ages as the tyres had been compacted in transit and need heated to get them to fit and seal correctly.

Done 20 odd miles in them this afternoon and noise level seems similar if maybe slightly quieter but it’s a different sort of noise more wooshy if that make sense.

Handling from my short trip I’d say better as it feels even smoother, The PS4’s gripped so well you did notice when turning but these feel easier to turn but still grippy.

Again very limited experience but it’ll be interesting to see how they cope with the hill down from my house when the temperatures plummet as I had some bad experiences in previous cars and is the main reason I got the LR for the AWD and now the Crossclimates.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Only fitted this morning which took ages as the tyres had been compacted in transit and need heated to get them to fit and seal correctly.

Done 20 odd miles in them this afternoon and noise level seems similar if maybe slightly quieter but it’s a different sort of noise more wooshy if that make sense.

Handling from my short trip I’d say better as it feels even smoother, The PS4’s gripped so well you did notice when turning but these feel easier to turn but still grippy.

Again very limited experience but it’ll be interesting to see how they cope with the hill down from my house when the temperatures plummet as I had some bad experiences in previous cars and is the main reason I got the LR for the AWD and now the Crossclimates.
Sounds like a bit of a palaver, glad it got sorted for you. Thanks for the initial update. Would you mind providing an update after a few more drives? We don't get the cold like you, but the last few years we had a a couple of weeks with snow and ice. I had the summer tyres on last year as I picked my car up in December with them on, still think Tesla should ask you what type of tyre you want if it is delivered in winter. I don't want to take any unnecessary risk , I know others have a different opinion which is fine.

My Pilot sport 4's have only done 2.5k miles so i will still put them back on next summer to make both set's of tyres last the lease period of the car
When my winter tyres and PS4 eventually need to be replaced I have wondered if the new Crossclimate2 would be a strong enough performer in winter to make that choice. The big advantage would be to save swapping tyres over by leaving them on all year. I will be interested to know how you get on when real winter kicks in.

Given that you are still intending to swap tyres with the seasons I’m curious to know why you chose the CC2 over a winter tyre? Just as the PS4 is going to be a bit better in the summer a “proper” winter tyre would be expected to be better in the winter.

Reactions: init6 and browellm
When my winter tyres and PS4 eventually need to be replaced I have wondered if the new Crossclimate2 would be a strong enough performer in winter to make that choice. The big advantage would be to save swapping tyres over by leaving them on all year. I will be interested to know how you get on when real winter kicks in.

Given that you are still intending to swap tyres with the seasons I’m curious to know why you chose the CC2 over a winter tyre? Just as the PS4 is going to be a bit better in the summer a “proper” winter tyre would be expected to be better in the winter.
+1

Reactions: browellm