TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Consistent regen performance with load dump resistor - idea

Discussion in 'Technical' started by tom66, Jan 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tom66

tom66 Member

That could work but might overheat the battery for the case of warm but full battery (hence regen limited.)

2. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

A nice twist on this idea might be to wire the HVAC strip heaters into this function so that the heat produced could go toward heating the cabin and or the battery pack so that regen could be recovered more quickly.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

Having upgraded from a 10 year old Jetta TDI that never seemed to have a full set of working glow-plugs I find it a little amusing that my biggest cold weather complaint about my Tesla is getting it to stop!! I have to use BOTH pedals to drive now?! :wink:

4. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Some loss of braking force. When I had into the shop for the next tire rotation (do them every 3000 miles) I'll ask them to check out the brakes.

Living on a mountain does present challenges for EV ownership. When I eventually get a Tesla, it would be nice if I can charge to below 50% and thereby still have sufficient regen in the cold.

5. nwdiver

SOC has very little to do with most of the limited REGEN discussed on this thread. Lithium Ion batteries suffer irreversible damage if charged below a certain temperature. I've descended 6000' over 12 miles and only regained 12 miles of range or ~5%. For some context; if you were able to descend from 21000' to sea level and recover 100% of that potential energy that would yield ~45 kWh.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That sounds way more fun than this babble about regen. Except the stopping part.

7. abasile

As expected, my LEAF certainly allows more regen at lower SOCs, even when it's colder. Of course, the cold does limit it more. I'm not talking about really low battery temperatures, though, maybe 0 C / 32 F. Is this not similar to Tesla S behavior?

8. nwdiver

My REGEN limiting observations are

~45F limited to ~75%
    ~32F limited to ~50%
    ~20F limited to ~25%
    ~15F NO REGEN

I've never seen a REGEN limit <90%SOC at temps >50F.

This is BATTERY temperature... once the car is warm is usually stays warm. I drove over Grants Pass in Oregon with temps in the teens with full REGEN the entire trip. I'm basing battery temp on outside temp when I get in after it sits outside all night.... yes, my Tesla sleeps outside... I hope to fix that soon.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

How are you measuring your battery temperature?

For example, when it's 45F in my garage (like this morning) I had a regen limiter at 30 kW for a few miles on the way to work. This seems quite different from your data.

10. aaronw

aaronw Member

Just use the entire bottom of the battery. It's a nice large surface area and it would also help warm up the cells. The problem might be not applying too much heat too quickly or uneven heating of the cells. Perhaps just increasing the amount of heating to the cooling loop would help.

11. abasile

Once you get below 90% SOC, given a cold battery pack, does Tesla S regen improve if the SOC drops further, say, to 50%?

12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

13. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

A couple of folks mentioned it's damaging to charge a cold li ion battery. My leaf battery is cold all of the time and charges, is it due to a different chemistry?

14. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Tesla does have electric battery heaters designed in to the Model S.

15. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Hmmm, what about liquid cooling of the brake fluid? When
    you apply the brakes, they heat up and the brake fluid also heats up. Where does the heat go now? I suppose in the air, radiated from discs as there is no dedicated cooling system for brake fluid.
    Tesla would only need to add a liquid/liquid heat exchanger for this to work.
    Regen still wouldn't work with cold battery, but driving off the high mountain would at least heat up the battery a bit quicker and maybe friction brakes wouldn't overheat (so fast).
    Add a solenoid to cut the heat transfer into battery/motor cooling lines when its temperatures are already high enough.

Win/win?

They are not strong enough to 'eat' the regen power.

16. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Not big enough apparently. A 15-30Kw heating element inside the coolant loop would mean there would be simulated regen when the batteries are too cold - simply dumping the energy into the coolant, and the batteries would warm up _very_ quickly with that much heating.

None of the extravagent stuff with a load resistor is required. This is _common_ technology that is used across million of households, just needs some engineering work to make it work with Tesla power electronics and software.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Way back in 2007:
    The Magic of Tesla Roadster Regenerative Braking | Blog | Tesla Motors
    - - - Updated - - -

I think some trains use regen to power cooling fans.
    You could use the regen power to spin some electric fans that blow air through the radiators or directed at brake rotors.

18. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The typical stove element is 2600 watts, so 30kW is equivalent to 11.5 stove elements all running full power. That _would_ toast the battery quite quickly!

19. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

You are assuming that the system (coolant capacity, pack volume, pump capacity, individual cells, etc...) would be able to handle 30kW of direct heating.

A big, assumption, IMO.

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator