Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Tray Caused Felt to Wear

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
San Luis Obispo
Recently I notice that the console tray has caused the felt to wear away at the front corners. Apparently after you take the tray out and put it back in the front corners of the tray scrape off the felt in the console. It's not a warranty issue because Tesla see's it as normal wear and tear, and the only way it can be fixed is to replace the entire console, which doesn't make this an economical option. The wear areas are about the size of the end of an average pinky finger, but still it sucks seeing it there when I take the tray out. I guess the only other option would be to buy some felt dots to stick over the area. Has anyone else noticed this issue in there Model 3?

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
San Luis Obispo
Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 82

bfearday

Jun 7, 2021
Ballwin, MO
I was maybe thinking of using a little piece of black felt, if I can find something that matches.
Please report back, I'm interested in seeing what you try. I spilled some hand sanitizer near that spot the day after getting the car and when I wiped it up the felt came with it. So disappointing, especially on day one.

AZAV8R

Aug 29, 2020
Arizona
Recently I notice that the console tray has caused the felt to wear away at the front corners. Apparently after you take the tray out and put it back in the front corners of the tray scrape off the felt in the console. It's not a warranty issue because Tesla see's it as normal wear and tear, and the only way it can be fixed is to replace the entire console, which doesn't make this an economical option. The wear areas are about the size of the end of an average pinky finger, but still it sucks seeing it there when I take the tray out. I guess the only other option would be to buy some felt dots to stick over the area. Has anyone else noticed this issue in there Model 3?
It appears rather small (but would drive me crazy, too!). How about using a black sharpie?

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
San Luis Obispo
It appears rather small (but would drive me crazy, too!). How about using a black sharpie?
A sharpie might make is look less noticeable but it will still continue to wear more of the felt away. I've noticed that the bottom edges of the tray are sharp, so it makes sense that it would wear away the felt. So I guess I could put something on those edges too. But it's a shame that Tesla didn't catch this, or maybe their solution was by not including the tray anymore.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC