Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Tray Caused Felt to Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Recently I notice that the console tray has caused the felt to wear away at the front corners. Apparently after you take the tray out and put it back in the front corners of the tray scrape off the felt in the console. It's not a warranty issue because Tesla see's it as normal wear and tear, and the only way it can be fixed is to replace the entire console, which doesn't make this an economical option. The wear areas are about the size of the end of an average pinky finger, but still it sucks seeing it there when I take the tray out. I guess the only other option would be to buy some felt dots to stick over the area. Has anyone else noticed this issue in there Model 3?

Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 220
Recently I notice that the console tray has caused the felt to wear away at the front corners. Apparently after you take the tray out and put it back in the front corners of the tray scrape off the felt in the console. It's not a warranty issue because Tesla see's it as normal wear and tear, and the only way it can be fixed is to replace the entire console, which doesn't make this an economical option. The wear areas are about the size of the end of an average pinky finger, but still it sucks seeing it there when I take the tray out. I guess the only other option would be to buy some felt dots to stick over the area. Has anyone else noticed this issue in there Model 3?
It appears rather small (but would drive me crazy, too!). How about using a black sharpie?

Reactions: kpanda17
It appears rather small (but would drive me crazy, too!). How about using a black sharpie?
A sharpie might make is look less noticeable but it will still continue to wear more of the felt away. I've noticed that the bottom edges of the tray are sharp, so it makes sense that it would wear away the felt. So I guess I could put something on those edges too. But it's a shame that Tesla didn't catch this, or maybe their solution was by not including the tray anymore.

Resurrecting an old thread here but anyone have experience replacing / repairing the felt inside the center console or is it a whole center console replacement? If so anyone know the cost? I spilled my coffee in there and didn’t realize water and scrubbing with a rag destroys the felt.

I like the previous suggestion, keep the tray slid toward you and you wont see the felt wearing.
The felt will only wear at rhe rubbing points which should finish and rhats rhe future design Tesla should adopt, no felt at those points.

Let’s change this discussion slightly to the wireless charging surface showing wear. I remember before owning Ts, during my demo drives I saw noticeable wear at the bottom of rhe wireless charging pad. There are aftermarket protectors for the charging pad but I have returned 2x due to they are too thick and prevent wireless charging a big phone like IPhone 14 max pro thst charges perfectly with a case on the pad alone.

Protection
1689946929202.png

Anyone find a thin enough charging pad protector that permits big iPhone charging?