Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Wrap Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished installing the Matte Black wrap from Abstract Ocean. Install was a bit of a pain but it turned out pretty good. I had some issues with the cupholder area but I was able to remove it and get it lined up better. The transfer tape was nice in terms of positioning but I found it actually got in the way of seeing where the edges were exactly. I ended up lining it up better after taking the tape off.
View attachment 342376

Nice. You got your cup holders looking way better than my attempt with the brushed black metal. Mine still looks pretty good so long as you don’t look too close, but yours looks like you got the edges nearly perfect on those circles. Great job! If I try a different pattern in the future, I’ll try taking off the transfer tape like you did. It was pretty tough to judge the right spot with it in the way.

Nice. You got your cup holders looking way better than my attempt with the brushed black metal. Mine still looks pretty good so long as you don’t look too close, but yours looks like you got the edges nearly perfect on those circles. Great job! If I try a different pattern in the future, I’ll try taking off the transfer tape like you did. It was pretty tough to judge the right spot with it in the way.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, although there are some problem areas that aren't real obvious in the picture I posted. The corners in-between the cupholders aren't great.

We just got done wrapping the center console on this 3. I'm convinced brushed black is the way to go. So modern and sophisticated!
DSC01896.JPG
DSC01897.JPG

I got my matte black from Abstract Ocean and really struggled with installation, and even ruined two of the 4 pieces. In hindsight, I’d think a wet-install would probably be a better choice for a non-professional as it looks like it can be adjusted easier.
I got the carbon fiber wrap from AO and really struggled. But I stuck with it (while dropping more than a few f-bombs). Fortunately, the carbon fiber material was pretty forgiving and I finally got it in properly without ruining anything. I was surprised that the cupholder piece was cut precisely enough to conform to the beveling on the rim of the cupholders. The pieces were also cut so that the pattern lines matched up.
IMG_4983.jpg

Just an FYI, I managed to scratch my brand new console wrap (brushed black metal) today by being careless reaching across to pick something up without looking and accidentally dragging my fingernail across the material. Sigh, just put it on yesterday, lmao. So don’t go clawing at the material like a dumbass (me).

Just an FYI, I managed to scratch my brand new console wrap (brushed black metal) today by being careless reaching across to pick something up without looking and accidentally dragging my fingernail across the material. Sigh, just put it on yesterday, lmao. So don’t go clawing at the material like a dumbass (me).

What brand did you go with for this? Do you think every brand's wrap can be easily scratched?

Did mine Brushed Black Metallic, love it. I wanted something with texture. It shines like gloss, without all the negative things about glossy finish such as finger prints, dust, and reflections.

Serenity-center-console-wrap-10-1-2018.jpg

Got them from Abstract Ocean. If you are looking to test these out, you could go with Kenriko's wraps on amazon first. He is usually cheaper, and will work just as well.

However with Abstract Ocean, if you mess up on a piece (like I did), they will send you a replacement free of charge. So you do pay more, but you have a bit of a warranty so to speak. I found the cup area to be the easiest, and the phone dock cover to be the hardest. Mainly due to the touchscreen being in the way, and that the cover moves.

What brand did you go with for this? Do you think every brand's wrap can be easily scratched?

I got mine from AO, but I’m Pretty sure most of these guys use 3M or some equivalent. It wasn’t exactly easily scratched, I dragged my thumbnail across it pretty good. It’s also more of a light colored discolored line than a true scratch, but still a little distracting if you’re OCD. Dunno how it’ll last long term, but I wouldn’t let my carelessness deter you. I still much prefer the brushed metal look over the fingerprint/scratch magnet of the gloss console.

Well, I tried. The large piece for the cup holder still didn’t turn out perfect, but I think I’m satisfied for the time being. After seeing the carbon fiber wrap above though, I may have to give that a shot! I think it’d conceal some of the flaws minor flaws that may trigger some borderline OCD.

Did anyone with the black interior go for the white carbon fiber for the dash and console? I’m curious how that might look too.

@kpedraja That looks great!!

My replacement pieces finally arrived today, so I’ll give it another go tomorrow. Can’t wait to have this finished!
My takeaways from doing this: work on the cupholder section first, get the sides and cup rims lined up as perfectly as you can and the rest should fall into place. If you don't "tack" it down anywhere until the cup section is right, you can remove it and start again. Just go slowly with the removal. I kept thinking I was going to tear the thin strips around the cup. I must have put it down and taken it up 15 times before it was right.

Reactions: Drax
Well, I tried. The large piece for the cup holder still didn’t turn out perfect, but I think I’m satisfied for the time being. After seeing the carbon fiber wrap above though, I may have to give that a shot! I think it’d conceal some of the flaws minor flaws that may trigger some borderline OCD.

Did anyone with the black interior go for the white carbon fiber for the dash and console? I’m curious how that might look too.
There's no other white in the black interior so that might stand out too much, IMHO. But I'd have really considered a grey that matches the color of the headliner.

Reactions: Drax
Did mine Brushed Black Metallic, love it. I wanted something with texture. It shines like gloss, without all the negative things about glossy finish such as finger prints, dust, and reflections.

View attachment 343047

Got them from Abstract Ocean. If you are looking to test these out, you could go with Kenriko's wraps on amazon first. He is usually cheaper, and will work just as well.

However with Abstract Ocean, if you mess up on a piece (like I did), they will send you a replacement free of charge. So you do pay more, but you have a bit of a warranty so to speak. I found the cup area to be the easiest, and the phone dock cover to be the hardest. Mainly due to the touchscreen being in the way, and that the cover moves.

Kenriko will also send you a replacement. I got my replacement a few days ago. However, I ended ordering AO Matrix black because I read textured material is thicker. The Kenriko matte black is pretty thin imo.