Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Wrap Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
I want to do a matte wrap of my center console and I can’t seem to make up my mind on which product to get. Here is what I’m trying to decide between:
  1. https://www.amazon.com/Kenriko-Tesla-Model-Matte-Console/dp/B07CZL8ZR5
  2. Model 3 Console - Matte Black Urethane PPF Xpel Stealth
  3. Interior Vinyl Kits for Tesla Model 3 - Set of Two*
I’m leaning towards the Xpel Stealth from RPM Tesla since it seems the most durable and the wet install looks to be a lot easier.

Does anyone have any experience with this products from an installation and durability point of view?

i don't have any of those, but i wanted to let you know that the dry installs that use 3M or avery car wraps are just as easy to put on plus it's not sliding all over the place or getting surrounding wet. once you can anchor a corner or side, you can light stretch to cover the remaining wrap.

i put the matrix black matte kit from RPM and it was a cinch to put on. after realizing i had a bubble in the middle (too big to just squish down), i just lifted one corner enough to free it, then re-layed it back down. it didn't have any issues adhering the second time. heck, i must have had to do the same thing 4-5 times when i covered the wood grain dash.

the only thing i did a wet install on was the center screen protector. it went on like the ones that go on a smartphone.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
I have Kenriko matte black wrap. I had the auto salon install it when they were installing full front xpel ppf. Attached is a pic of it. No more finger prints all over the console, I love it!!!

Attachments

• 20180926_171359.jpg
    20180926_171359.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 860
Had mine professionally done. Looks like a lot of people are doing just as good a job by themselves. I also wanted the wood on the dash wrapped and that looked a little more difficult.

Attachments

• 2018-09-22 14.28.28.jpg
    2018-09-22 14.28.28.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 807
  • 2018-09-22 14.28.31.jpg
    2018-09-22 14.28.31.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 773
  • 2018-09-22 14.28.44.jpg
    2018-09-22 14.28.44.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 763
  • 2018-09-22 14.28.49.jpg
    2018-09-22 14.28.49.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 781
Reactions: Frieda’s Boss
I love the kenriko center console wrap. I did mine in carbon fiber. The texture of the material is great. I honestly wouldn't mind doing it again, maybe in white carbon fiber just to see what one I like better. It was actually kind of fun to put it on. That stuff is amazing!

Reactions: ninjarice
I have a white carbon fiber console wrap. It was the first time I ever did a vinyl wrap and made some small mistakes and it still looks very good. Just take your time and watch 1 video and you can do it yourself. I had both a Kenriko kit and an RPM kit but ended up using RPM's only because of the availability of white cabon fiber, which I love with the white interior.

Kenriko offers great products, great prices, and fast shipping, so if he has what you want, I wouldn't hesitate!

I got my matte black from Abstract Ocean and really struggled with installation, and even ruined two of the 4 pieces. In hindsight, I’d think a wet-install would probably be a better choice for a non-professional as it looks like it can be adjusted easier.

I just bought a small roll of white carbon fiber vinyl and did it myself. Unfortunately I am struggling a bit with the cupholder section. The phone holder and the first compartment were easy but I may end up buying a template for the cupholder if I can't figure out a cleaner way to cut it.

I got my matte black from Abstract Ocean and really struggled with installation, and even ruined two of the 4 pieces. In hindsight, I’d think a wet-install would probably be a better choice for a non-professional as it looks like it can be adjusted easier.
This is what I'm worried about, I can't imagine I'd be very good at the installation.

This is what I'm worried about, I can't imagine I'd be very good at the installation.
I have no experience with the Xpel. I had no install problems with the Kenriko carbon fiber. It was easier (and I had to be less exact) than I expected. However, it's possible that the carbon fiber is easier to work with. It was thicker than I was expecting so it seemed easy to work with and I didn't have problems with stretching. It is possible that other colors/patterns (e.g. Matte Black) are not as "hearty" as the carbon fiber. As for durability, again my materials seemed thick so I have no concerns about it holding up over time.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
For those DIY'ing, dont forget a heat gun will work wonders on 3m/ppf type films especially for tight corners and stretching. Just be gentile, and keep the heat gun on LOW at least 8-10 in away. Better yet, a common hair dryer works just as well and is safer. You don't need very much heat for most films.

I have a white carbon fiber console wrap.
I just bought a small roll of white carbon fiber vinyl and did it myself.

Could either of you share pics? I'm curious what the white CF looks like (esp if you have white interior). The Kenriko pics on Amazon are pretty low rez/quality.

For those DIY'ing, dont forget a heat gun will work wonders on 3m/ppf type films especially for tight corners and stretching. Just be gentile, and keep the heat gun on LOW at least 8-10 in away. Better yet, a common hair dryer works just as well and is safer. You don't need very much heat for most films.

Could either of you share pics? I'm curious what the white CF looks like (esp if you have white interior). The Kenriko pics on Amazon are pretty low rez/quality.

It is a bit dark today so you can't really see the carbon fiber grain in these pics. I will get some better pics and post them tomorrow.

View attachment 340201 View attachment 340202

IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: untilcomplete

Runt8 & Drax: I did the wet-install from RPM and it’s easy to work with because:
1. The baby shampoo + water solution is slippery enough to allow you to slide the pieces into place
2. The film I used (wood texture) was really thick so it was easy to maneuver around
3. The cutouts are designed to only cover the flat surfaces (ie. not rolled over or tucked into the sides), which makes the cupholder portion easy to deal with

The downsides are:
1. It’s really a two-person job to keep spritzing solution as needed then mopping it up and aligning+squeegeeing (my wife was on spritzer/towel duty sitting in the passenger seat while I aligned & squeegeed from the driver seat)
2. The dimensions of the cutouts seem to have a variability of a millimeter or less compared to the car parts and though that doesn’t seem like a lot, it’s noticeable if they’re not aligned well (LMAO think ‘panel gaps’)

If you spend some time getting it just right before locking in the adhesion with the squeegee, the end result doesn’t look klugey, I’m a happy camper!

I posted this in my review thread the other day. It matches the colors perfectly. (The shadows and exposure in the picture can make colors deceiving) I'm sorry it isn't closer up. My wife saw it with no experience in mods or even knowing what carbon fiber is and the first thing she said about the car at all was "wow I love this!" and pointed to the white carbon fiber.

S3CGTMRiCTkx4yc6RQhX2ic8Cr7WVbKzrU3Psb0AAcIJJ8P1NY-FwxK-EiV4DrNVaCFkXsOdhhD_WSKVzWJc7FUOi1nfNN4FDwCwTuuU2a4dykIloprjNJzB0wAMrEv0CkII9Y6O8b7gZ0BNg1Am7NhYTYKK5ylhk8exKvTlK5sp5vr2_SJU32gF9GdyG5SkjmsTQhDf-pIbWoKBoeIyHS9YwcRVtRzRRlGCKwb26JLo9p5xYq18Ro47wTZKxStGT3QOdF7QNmrzmqey1wzfE7UOgSSwELbTd9vD_vE8QLjeGv49e_VGL5WyV81i2-Xd_ftxCO0h4mwym5V2AE0AR7PnhFcvqq3H9EDtcI6M22JcP_8yfNAMut1OOiaQA_1OOTk0PvdVw8hMl17YXaUguIaqYzLlEHdIpetz1qjVnRW7OHVAwexGS2EzQlkMY6OG5G3DGHPLSOX2x_QJNdNcB3aGLQxoIhUbR3Hk78oxxZM01I4wGilLp7JPHPw5bJm736vm1cFye1GusoJB3tc6ULc7MwSmwy2UsTGIyQ2R7fqMbwtmaqu4GK7KC3JndbGvxlzsBjYwc2Rf72hzvdC7TQvBDJ6677RCYswgTzFqp08vmk7vrQ2ctk_icvTrXdnAUFX6aeJlq734wAftt_2KcCm19cKAdMrNLTPX189FEj5essUGQduEUp2H=w1251-h938-no

It is a bit dark today so you can't really see the carbon fiber grain in these pics. I will get some better pics and post them tomorrow.

I posted this in my review thread the other day. It matches the colors perfectly.

Thanks guys. Wow, I gotta admit, that looks fantastic!

@Abstrakt1 nice touch with leaving the cup area stock, it kind of ties it together with the doors.

I was going to use Xpel and a plotter using Kenriko's GitHub diagrams... but from the pic the pre-cut kit does look extremely OEM. I think you just convinced me to make the the center console white to match.

The only downside to these films is no glossy finish (like with real CF) and due to the surface texture, ppf layered on top probably won't look quite right. I'm not sure though. Has anyone tried layering ppf on top of di-noc and the like?

@Abstrakt1 nice touch with leaving the cup area stock, it kind of ties it together with the doors.

I was going to use Xpel and a plotter using Kenriko's GitHub diagrams... but from the pic the pre-cut kit does look extremely OEM. I think you just convinced me to make the the center console white to match.

The only downside to these films is no glossy finish (like with real CF) and due to the surface texture, ppf layered on top probably won't look quite right. I'm not sure though. Has anyone tried layering ppf on top of di-noc and the like?

The Tesla logo in my pics is vinyl, you can see the texture underneath it and I think a full vinyl or PPF would end up looking like a bubbled out install. One thought I had was maybe spraying some gloss clear spray paint on it before install. Actually I think I have some clear in the garage I will go test this on one of the scrap pieces from my install and post the results when it dries with some pics.

Reactions: Jimmy 1

Thanks! I have to say, there really is no reason to make it glossy. The seats aren't glossy. The console strip isn't glossy. The plastic on each side isn't glossy. If you are thinking of the glossy black on the door handles, the two don't need to match at all. Right now, mine are still the gloss black and it ties together perfectly. (Although the gloss black really likes to show fingerprints) If you put white vinyl in the center console there is no need to do anything else with it.