Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the service guy told me on the phone they are having trouble updating the firmware. The parts were in. My appointment was delayed until the necessary parts came in and then I was rescheduled. so, I do believe they are having problems installing the firmware. When I dropped the car off it was supposed to be ready to pick up at the end of the day. It wasn't, not the next day either. I have a loaner car so timing isn't important; just weird and a concern.
Perhaps they got a bad part, of were unable to extract car specific files from the old MCU (maybe they got corrupted before they got to them) so now they have to have engineering rebuild them. Or, maybe they came across a car configuration never before seen by the service center's current set of techs (Elon used to be very proud of the fact that Tesla hardware changes every 2 weeks in production, meaning 26 hardware version a year).

Perhaps they got a bad part, of were unable to extract car specific files from the old MCU (maybe they got corrupted before they got to them) so now they have to have engineering rebuild them. Or, maybe they came across a car configuration never before seen by the service center's current set of techs (Elon used to be very proud of the fact that Tesla hardware changes every 2 weeks in production, meaning 26 hardware version a year).
As long as they figure it out and the car is safe to drive I'm good. I suppose I will never know what's happened but appreciate your thoughts on what it might have been.

There have been other reports as well that completing MCU upgrade would take quite long time, especially pushing new software to the unit. It’s been mentioned it will take app. 1-2 days time. No one has yet explained the reason why it takes that long, good side of it is that it’s Tesla engineers overcoming this issue, so rest assured.

I made a service appointment for the eMMC daughterboard replacement, and asked that they upgrade 3G to LTE at the same time. The service was completed in one day ($200 for the LTE upgrade) but when I got the car back, there were bubbles in the screen (had never had bubbles prior to this) and homelink isn't working. I mentioned the bubbles (with photos) immediately upon picking up the car. The initial response was "yeah, MCU1 is susceptible to that."

What is the remedy for screen bubbles? Should I insist that they repair/replace it?
I'm about to pick up my car from the SC. I "only" had the recall service done so not sure if I get a new screen or not? I also upgraded the 3G to LTE for $200.00.

Here's what it says on the invoice:

Concern: Replace VCM To Upgrade 8GB eMMC. Customer states: Something Else - eMMC safety recall
Correction: Replace VCM To Upgrade eMMC (Model S) Parts Replaced or Added
1 of 4
Service Center hourly rate: USD 210
All parts are new unless otherwise specified.
You agree that: Tesla is not responsible for any personal items left in your vehicle; Tesla and its employees may access and operate your vehicle including on streets, highways, or public roadways for the sole purpose of testing and/or inspection of repairs; Tesla and its
Total Parts (USD) 200.00 Total Labor (USD) 0.00
Discount 0.00
Subtotal (USD) 200.00
page2image57646016
page2image57646208
page2image57646400
page2image57646592
page2image42943920
page2image42943472

Part Quantity
MSX PCBA, MCU, 1.00 TEGRA DAUGHTER
BOARD REV-A -
PROVISIONED (64 GB) (2728212-S0-A)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Concern: Customer states: Requesting LTE upgrade
Correction: LTE Retrofit Billing
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LTE RETROFIT 1.00 PACKAGE(1067726-00-
A)
Total Parts Amount 200.00 Total Labor Amount 0.00
Unit Price
Price Adjustment
0.00 0.00
Price Adjustment
200.00 0.00
Subtotal
Subtotal
Parts Subtotal 200.00
Pay Type: Customer Pay
Concern: Customer states: Requesting LTE upgrade
Correction: Supplemental LTE Retrofit With Gyro Board And Calibration Test Drive, US And Canada
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
PCBA, LTE CONNECTIVITY, UBLOX 1.00 GPS(1054968-01-B)
CBL,COAXIAL.50.OHM,100mm.U.FL(1010854- 3.00 00-A)
SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH(1010058- 12.00 00-A)
SCR,M3x4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH(1010052-00- 3.00 A)
SIM CARD, JASPER, EU(1035347-00-A) 1.00
Pay Type: Customer Pre-Pay

Can anyone make sense of that? Did I get a new screen and the new MCU2 or just the memory card and the new LTE modem?

Last edited:
I'm about to pick up my car from the SC. I "only" had the recall service done so not sure if I get a new screen or not? I also upgraded the 3G to LTE for $200.00.

Can anyone make sense of that? Did I get a new screen and the new MCU2 or just the memory card and the new LTE modem?

They did exactly what you asked: The eMMC and LTE upgrades. What makes you think the MCU2 upgrade was done?

This is just daughter card in mcu1 and lte upgrade (it’s a different daughter card inside mcu1).

Upgrading to lte changes antenna connections, incl gps, so test drive is to ensure connections still working and (hopefully) to calibrate. If it hasn’t calibrated it will writhing 20-30 miles when after pick it up

Reactions: bareyb
This is just daughter card in mcu1 and lte upgrade (it’s a different daughter card inside mcu1).

Upgrading to lte changes antenna connections, incl gps, so test drive is to ensure connections still working and (hopefully) to calibrate. If it hasn’t calibrated it will writhing 20-30 miles when after pick it up
Oh, and apologies - this upgrade also loses the homelink private security key, ie even though all the settings are copied over from old mcu1 Emmc memory to new 64GB one, the homelink connection will not activate the homelink garage door opener. Results in chime and perception of intent to open door, without ability to do so - just delete the entry and redo.

Okay. I just got home and my HomeLink settings in my car were indeed no longer there, nor was my driver profile, nor was my WiFi connection to my home. All easy stuff to get back up and running. GPS seems to be working okay so far. Appreciate the great support here. Thanks guys.
They likely either forgot to copy over your settings or didn't bother to. They did this to me on my eMMC replacement, and also forgot to re-write the certs that allow for remote unlock, open trunk, and remote start. I had to go back to the service center for a fix; they said they were no longer allowed to update security features remotely.

Test your remote access with the app, specifically, unlock, open trucks, and remote start.

They likely either forgot to copy over your settings or didn't bother to. They did this to me on my eMMC replacement, and also forgot to re-write the certs that allow for remote unlock, open trunk, and remote start. I had to go back to the service center for a fix; they said they were no longer allowed to update security features remotely.

Test your remote access with the app, specifically, unlock, open trucks, and remote start.
I guess I got lucky. All those features from the App are working for me.

Reactions: tga
They did exactly what you asked: The eMMC and LTE upgrades. What makes you think the MCU2 upgrade was done?
Howdy Hank! I didn't really expect it, but some of the responses in the thread here kind of confused me a bit. MCU2 wouldn't really do much for me anyway since my 2013 doesn't have most of the Self Driving Hardware. Netflix would be fun, but I'm almost certain I'd never actually use it.

Howdy Hank! I didn't really expect it, but some of the responses in the thread here kind of confused me a bit. MCU2 wouldn't really do much for me anyway since my 2013 doesn't have most of the Self Driving Hardware. Netflix would be fun, but I'm almost certain I'd never actually use it.

Howdy bb! I don't have any FSD hardware either, but I just got the MCU2 upgrade in my P85D and I think it's awesome! Well worth it. The screens are phenomenally crisper, the nav is actually useful and doesn't take all day to route or redraw the map tiles. I haven't played any games yet, but Netflix and Youtube are fun diversions to have in the car when supercharging.

Yep sounds like replacement eMMC was installed. You will not see any improvement.
What improvement were you expecting for swapping out the same, but for size eMMC?
If the old eMMC is near death, writes take a LONG time, so performance will be (negatively) impacted by a failing eMMC. The MCU will be noticeably faster after it is replaced. However, if the eMMC is not that bad, the improvement will not be as noticeable.

Reactions: MP3Mike
How bad is too bad though? I have been on board reading the eMMC. While it does read successfully, when i compare the files of partition 3 then there is between2-3KB of data always different and it appears to be in the same locations. Similarly this happens in other partitions and the size of bad data is somewhat proportionally same.
My question is if this can just be copied over with those errors and would the errors correct themselves once it is put back in the car and would it update itself?
Image is here to show you that I really tried to eliminate noise and make sure connections are solid.
20211220_120653.jpg

Here is some of what data is bad

1.PNG
2.PNG
6.PNG

How bad is too bad though? I have been on board reading the eMMC. While it does read successfully, when i compare the files of partition 3 then there is between2-3KB of data always different and it appears to be in the same locations. Similarly this happens in other partitions and the size of bad data is somewhat proportionally same.
My question is if this can just be copied over with those errors and would the errors correct themselves once it is put back in the car and would it update itself?
Image is here to show you that I really tried to eliminate noise and make sure connections are solid.
View attachment 754064

Here is some of what data is bad

View attachment 754066View attachment 754067View attachment 754068
I imagine it would be overwritten at the next software update.

Yep sounds like replacement eMMC was installed. You will not see any improvement.
What improvement were you expecting for swapping out the same, but for size eMMC?

That's not been my experience after swapping out the eMMC. I find that the MCU boots up much more quickly and that the voice recognition works much better than it did previously.

Reactions: tccartier and N4HHE