Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't disagree, but it won't stay like that. The behavior will mimic like a personal computer. It seems to slow down over time both booting and using. Its behavior will be just like it was when it was brand new. Let's remember, those of us that had cars with MCU1 and the 8 GB eMMC noticed it took years for it to slow down and become sluggish.
Over time, as the new eMMC receives new downloads and installs more updates over time, it will get sluggish again. Because its takes a while, we don't really notice it. And just-so-you-know, unless they have changed the method they used for configuring the partitions on the newer/larger eMMC, they do not use all the space that's there on the new eMMC.

If you are interested, there's some excellent articles that dive into the MCUs and other hardware. Teslatap.com his a great resources on such. Here's a couple of his articles.

He's also been a reliable DIY source under his Mods section.

Last edited:
I don't disagree, but it won't stay like that. The behavior will mimic like a personal computer. It seems to slow down over time both booting and using. Its behavior will be just like it was when it was brand new. Let's remember, those of us that had cars with MCU1 and the 8 GB eMMC noticed it took years for it to slow down and become sluggish.
Over time, as the new eMMC receives new downloads and installs more updates over time, it will get sluggish again. Because its takes a while, we don't really notice it. And just-so-you-know, unless they have changed the method they used for configuring the partitions on the newer/larger eMMC, they do not use all the space that's there on the new eMMC.

If you are interested, there's some excellent articles that dive into the MCUs and other hardware. Teslatap.com his a great resources on such. Here's a couple of his articles.

So, I can infer, even after the chip replacement, a future update not designed for the older cars (V11?) Might degrade performance or cause problems.

I guess the best update is still no update...

Reactions: FlatSix911
So, I can infer, even after the chip replacement, a future update not designed for the older cars (V11?) Might degrade performance or cause problems.

I guess the best update is still no update...
Well I think you summed it up when you said, best update is no update - considering what could Tesla possible add to a '12-14 update that would be amazing enough to install. I think everything is relative to a baseline. What in the world does that mean? I mean we have to consider what we get out of something planned for us moving forward - like another OTA upgrade. There's a point, (and we may have reached it) where updates for '12-14's are not a big improvement like they were when we were on ver 3.0 or 4.0.

I remember someone, but I didn't bookmark the comment, so can't find it again. And because I can't remember exactly how or where, I won't use anyone's name. But it was one our best 3rd party eMMC Fixers was writing about the size of the firmware when we were ver 3.0/3.1 and later when we were ver 9.0. When it was ver 3.0'ish, it was about 300 MB. But by the time we got to ver 9.0 it was more than 1.1 GB.

I admit quickly I can't perform a eMMC chip replacement. But when I was tracking MCU1 failures, I PM/emailed the most popular 3rd party fixers and learned a lot from what they explained. For instance, I guess everyone remembers, the eMMC is divided into 4 partitions, 0-3, with two small and two larger. And every time we get even a minor OTA update, its a complete copy of that firmware. Don't mistake what "minor or maintenance update is. Its not just part, is the entire banana each time it downloads and installs. The two firmware partitions alternate between being "current and last version, then current becoming last version with a new install. Two different versions nearly every time, except when an SC forces the same one again, although it goes to the "last version" partition.

I've strayed from your question/comment. Sorry. If your eMMC is new and a larger version I would bet its safe to keep installing newer versions of firwmare. But just like a desktop/laptop its going to begin to slow with larger & more files, that are more complex software, there's a point in the MCU's life and the firmware where the firmware is going to be too complex for the MCU1 to manage it. Might be best to stay back on one that is behaving satisfactory. I guess there will still be daring & brave people that will install ver 15.0/16.0 on a MCU1. Might be safer to wait and hear what they say before bogging your own car down. Its a wait and see what happens, since there's no decades of history to draw our conclusions from.

Its also worth mentioning, - even though we've not heard of it recently, Tesla has previously forced a complete version update to some cars. I remember the posts here. Some people on for example ver 8.0 were forced to accept an update to a newer version. Its not worth the effort for me to try and find some of those posts, but there is more than one. The forced update was not immediate, it was long after nearly all of us (relative term there) were on the newer version. And it didn't seem to matter the year of the car. In other words, not just '12's or 13's holding out to keep the old version. I think we tend to forget some of these things unless they are frequent posts.

I had my MCU1 with the 8GB eMMC for almost 4 years since I bought it brand new before the 64GB replacement and know all about the detritus that builds up over time with Tesla updates. That doesn't change that there is a significant performance improvement when you do the update.
And given that the eMMC has 8x the capacity of the original version I do expect that the degradation will be much slower than with the original(not to mention the reduced number of updates that Tesla pushes out for MCU1 these days).

Howdy bb! I don't have any FSD hardware either, but I just got the MCU2 upgrade in my P85D and I think it's awesome! Well worth it. The screens are phenomenally crisper, the nav is actually useful and doesn't take all day to route or redraw the map tiles. I haven't played any games yet, but Netflix and Youtube are fun diversions to have in the car when supercharging.
Huh. Well maybe I will do it after all. I'm not driving as much these days so it's hard to justify buying a new one, so fixing up the old one sounds pretty attractive. I sure wouldn't mind a more responsive screen and Nav...

Sorry, im not fully up to date on the thread, but this caught my eye. The larger chip is not partitioned to allow the user all the space (unneeded) but the chip does utilize all the space for wear. Tesla has also reduced logging significantly. A replaced chip perform well and will last much much much much much much much much longer!

Sorry, im not fully up to date on the thread, but this caught my eye. The larger chip is not partitioned to allow the user all the space (unneeded) but the chip does utilize all the space for wear. Tesla has also reduced logging significantly. A replaced chip perform well and will last much much much much much much much much longer!

Do you have Tool box so one can tell if the chip was replaced or not?

Do you have Tool box so one can tell if the chip was replaced or not?
I do not think that toolbox can tell if the chip was replaced. It would be in Tesla customer Log if that was done by tesla service center. Otherwise you can take MCU out open it and check on the Tegra. If it is SKHynix H26M42003GMRA or something very similar, but still SKHynix then it has not been replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I do not think that toolbox can tell if the chip was replaced. It would be in Tesla customer Log if that was done by tesla service center. Otherwise you can take MCU out open it and check on the Tegra. If it is SKHynix H26M42003GMRA or something very similar, but still SKHynix then it has not been replaced.

It was done by the SvC. However, I don't trust them. There has been a slight performance improvement, and no black screens, but I'd like to be sure.

I thought the chip type and version were visible with toolbox.

My exact situation! I am having mobile service come out to fix something else, put in a request to hook up toolbox and read the chip.

Is there a way to check if eMMC has been replaced in the service?

(service receipt says that it is done, but there is no visible improvement in the car and no settings were lost in the process)

Yes anyone that has Toolbox access (ota/tbx3 or via service laptop) can see the vitals of the car, this will list all kind of details.
When SYS_CD_emmcName says "H8G2d" or "HYNIX" then its the old 8GB chip, if it says: "S0J58X" then its the newer 64GB Micron.
Alternatively if you can get the mcu into Diagnostic mode and/or know the tesla1 token then it will show this in the emmc details as well.

Check it out people: need app 4.6.0
Mine is still good :)
28976569-A9B7-4214-BCA4-4E66840C7608.png

8B3438E1-B3CE-4225-934A-229C9854C852.png

FYI. Four weeks ago I got my 6yo 12V battery replaced, my local SvC immediately followed up by a phone call saying a 12V replacement in their system triggered a ticket to suggest the affected owner request an eMMC recall service so that they can start ordering parts. I did submit the request in the app and got a range of service date as feedback. My expected service date is still 2 weeks away. My eMMC storage subsystem so far seems working good to me.

Check it out people: need app 4.6.0
Mine is still good :)
View attachment 770958
View attachment 770959
I don't get the eMMC recall button for my 2015 Model S, even though Tesla never replaced my chip, I replaced it myself. I suspect they only show it for cars which report having the original 8GB emmc chip. Personally I don't want the Tesla replacement, as it would be worse than the chip I used, but noting here if anyone is not seeing it.

I don't get the eMMC recall button for my 2015 Model S, even though Tesla never replaced my chip, I replaced it myself. I suspect they only show it for cars which report having the original 8GB emmc chip. Personally I don't want the Tesla replacement, as it would be worse than the chip I used, but noting here if anyone is not seeing it.
I don't have the original eMMC.
Surprising though: Are there still some cars running around with the original chip? I would have thought there would not be any original eMMC's still out there; surely they all would have crashed by now. So maybe this is for next time? Maybe this also applies to eMMC's in the MCU2?

I thought for sure it would show mine as being "unhealthy" as it is not a Tesla installed chip, and when checking recalls I assumed it would be still be nagging me to have them repair it to put in their own, but the only recall I see in the app is for the hood latch.

I don't have the original eMMC.
Surprising though: Are there still some cars running around with the original chip? I would have thought there would not be any original eMMC's still out there; surely they all would have crashed by now.

As of January 31st Tesla has only performed the recall on ~31% of the impacted vehicles. (There are still ~90k vehicles left for them to replace the eMMC on.)

1645300192451.png

So the majority of vehicles have not had it fail yet.

Do you know how those who chose to get the MCU2 are included in those numbers?
I would think if they went with the MCU2 before the recall they wouldn't be included in the counts at all. If they did it after the recall they would either go in the remedied or removed category. (The population size hasn't changed.) And since there are none in the removed category I have to assume that they go under remedied. (Unless Tesla isn't reporting those numbers at all at this point.)

It looks like they are doing ~1,200/week. Which would sort of makes since, if they only had ~1,200 replacement boards. You put in 1,200 and send the old boards to be refurbished, lather, rinse, repeat. (So another ~1.5 years to get through everyone.) The pace has picked up a little, which could be because some people are going for the MCU2 upgrade which would add another board into the refurb pool, unless they paid the core charge to keep their old MCU1.

Though it seems weird that there have been no totaled, parted out, vehicles, as they would go into the removed category. (But maybe Tesla just doesn't have those details yet, as they would still need to perform the recall on a totaled, and repaired, vehicle.)