Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

PS - By 'factory reset' are we talking about a soft reset - by pressing both scroll wheels on my 2015 Model S - or a hard reset, which seems to involve disconnecting the 12Volt battey as described by this rather useful blog on the subject
The former, I hope - hard reset sounds rather intimidating for the average owner!

PPS - Just tried another scroll wheel reset - not the first since this problem arrose - and.... lo and behold, my iphone now connects! Haven't tried the Homelink yet, but this is looking more promising. Many thanks for your good advice, TonyT
Homelink works as well now, but that may have been a separate issue - the eMMC replacement caused loss of Homelink in the first place, but failure to add my garage door to the Model S again may havre been an issue to do with training the receiver, now sorted out.

PPS - Just tried another scroll wheel reset - not the first since this problem arrose - and.... lo and behold, my iphone now connects! Haven't tried the Homelink yet, but this is looking more promising. Many thanks for your good advice, TonyT
Correct. I mean the factory reset in the mcu menu where you have to enter your account and password. It will be like a new car and you will have to re-save setting for mirrors and seat, garage etc. Basically setup car again. You can reset while in your driving profile and save it right away to keep one of the profiles.

Let us know if simple resetting with scroll wheels continues to resolve the issues.

Reactions: Greenms60
I finally got my letter about the eMMC recall and so I scheduled service to have it swapped. They just messaged me saying I can pay $2k + tax for the MCU2 upgrade. Am I crazy for not doing it? I feel like that would be $2k wasted in my case. I have a 2013 S60 with no autopilot and they did a warranty MCU replacement a couple of years ago and with it came the LTE upgrade. If memory serves correctly, they just swapped MCU1 for another MCU1 which I assume is why I'm part of the recall program. My driving habits changed a few years ago so now I only spend 10-15mins in my car for each "trip" somewhere and 90% of the time I listen to terrestrial radio. Maybe 2-3x per year do I use a supercharger and rarely would I stay in the car while it is charging to take advantage of the video player. I plan on keeping my car til the wheels fall off (or more likely, the battery goes kaput). I'm currently not having any issues requiring resets although it is occasionally slow to boot up or it doesn't always respond to voice commands.

There are already quite lengthy discussion about this exact situation so you need to find your way. I‘m personally also on a waiting list for a appointment to get the recall done. I have so far had almost glitch free time with the original eMMC, although mine have LTE since manufacturing on 2016. Just with the latest SW update my car is still downloading new map update, not to mention it was installed in the beginning of March. My text to Tesla have ended now to be fixed for the recall list and it might happen in May or June this year.
About the option to upgrade I will personally keep off, as stated it’s been relatively solid so far with mine. Only with two or three radio/Spotify issues and now the map download failure. It’s been dreadful reading about all these stories other have accounted but I also do not see any benefit that this will bring to my everyday commute. I keep listening to the radio, have used Spotify only if kids are on board. To me all the new SW release’s that will follow this upgrade will definitely ruin my present pleasure. I can’t see any benefits that the you-tube or unknown games will bring. I have the same feeling to keep it going for as long as it technically alows.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC