Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it is not caused by the eMMC failure but if the car is under warranty, why are they not replacing the display for that reason?
Is the screen still under warranty though? The eMMC is a recall forced by NHTSA.

I had an IC (instrument console, driver screen) "bleed" that had goop slowing filling the screen, and also the dreaded brown/yellow edge on the main screen -- which was only a few months old. It was replaced with the eMMC upgrade, but I don't really know why; the old screen was fine.

I am right now sitting in the lobby of my local SC awaiting judgement on whether they can install the missing "authentication tokens" from my MCU2 upgrade yesterday so that TuneIn works again.

I'm also apprehensive of the fact that last night's charging stopped after 6 seconds with the only message being "charging interrupted". Stupidly, I toggled the breaker in the house before checking what the car said on the screen (even though it hadn't been tripped), and when I went out to the car it was happily charging at the normal rate (which is only 18A for the house circuit I have). Damn.

Anyway, I would currently rate the MCU2 upgrade ($2446 w/tax and FM radio on this side of the pond) as a disappointment, but if they get my TuneIn back with the same features I might have a different opinion. Unfortunately, it seems the bug wherein USB music doesn't restart (and is instead replaced by a big QR code advertisement for Tidal) is still out there with no resolution.

Is the screen still under warranty though? The eMMC is a recall forced by NHTSA.
Only if you bought the 4 year extended warranty and maybe only for a few months more if that, on a 2014 car. But that was what got my curiosity up. If you had bought the extended warranty and it was still in play. When the whole eMMC thing started with Tesla was claiming it was just normal wear and tear and would not even be covered under warranty.

So if it was just done via the recall then that was not a warranty repair but via the NHTSA action.

Wow, okay, saga continues. I am still sitting in the lobby of the Tesla SC.

After an hour, they brought the car around and said that "TuneIn is a separate upgrade." WTF? No mention of that in the MCU2 upgrade docs, and no mention when I signed up. I think the guy is blatantly wrong. They are, as I type, "checking on that".

I think there are MCU2 upgrade posts on here somewhere, but I think he's full of s***.

• Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
That can't be right. Are you in Europe?
California.
I think these guys just don't know what they're doing. He literally pointed to a place under the left side of the dash where "a tuner" goes. Like TuneIn is some hardware feature.

My service rep from yesterday, who concluded after contacting someone higher up that it was un-installed authentication tokens, isn't here today and isn't responding to messages (which I'll no longer be able to send after tomorrow). I expect he was right about the fixes, but the dufuses here today are clueless. Very frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Incredible. Here's the update:

So after their "senior technician" flobbled around with the same buttons anyone would, not seeing "TuneIn" and then (apparently, making it up on the spot) claiming that the MCU2 upgrade didn't include TuneIn and it would be "three or four hundred dollars more" and pointing to a spot under the dash that, I'm pretty sure, holds nothing, and putting up with my protests to the effect of "why would I spend $2500 on an upgrade that took away features and never mentioned it?", they disappeared and I sat for another 20m, fuming.

Finally, the rep/manager came back out, offered apologies and a loaner Model S, and said they will get TuneIn back, no charge. It may take until Monday (I guess they have to disassemble again), but indeed yesterday's rep (who apparently isn't in today, and has therefore ghosted my messages about when they could fix it) was undoubtedly right about needing to install/re-install authorization tokens.

My guess is that the upgrade process didn't take into account (or didn't fully take into account, since my Slacker streaming worked fine) that my car is a "free Premium connectivity" model, without which means no TuneIn / Slacker unless you're on Wifi I think.

Really, I wasn't even upset until their senior technician started making up how TuneIn works, and that it was a separate module that wasn't included in the upgrade. Just wow. Okay to not know (it's a complicated beast), but making it up like that... just wow.

Is it irony that my day job is writing software for a home music system (not Sonos, but a competitor) that supports TuneIn, Tidal, Slacker, Spotify, USB files, and a dozen other music services? Yes. I think it is.

Last edited:
So after their "senior technician" flobbled around with the same buttons anyone would, not seeing "TuneIn" and then (apparently, making it up on the spot) claiming that the MCU2 upgrade didn't include TuneIn and it would be "three or four hundred dollars more" and pointing to a spot under the dash that, I'm pretty sure, holds nothing,
I would have said OK, give me a quote with part numbers and let's get this done... They would have to quickly change their tune when they couldn't find a different tuner to install.

My guess is that the upgrade process didn't take into account (or didn't fully take into account, since my Slacker streaming worked fine) that my car is a "free Premium connectivity" model, which means no TuneIn / Slacker unless you're on Wifi I think.
I don't think that is it. (It should have WiFi while it is at a Tesla service center anyhow...) A factory reset would probably have taken care of it, but you may not want to lose all of your settings.

Incredible. Here's the update:

So after their "senior technician" flobbled around with the same buttons anyone would, not seeing "TuneIn" and then (apparently, making it up on the spot) claiming that the MCU2 upgrade didn't include TuneIn and it would be "three or four hundred dollars more" and pointing to a spot under the dash that, I'm pretty sure, holds nothing, and putting up with my protests to the effect of "why would I spend $2500 on an upgrade that took away features and never mentioned it?", they disappeared and I sat for another 20m, fuming.

Finally, the rep/manager came back out, offered apologies and a loaner Model S, and said they will get TuneIn back, no charge. It may take until Monday (I guess they have to disassemble again), but indeed yesterday's rep (who apparently isn't in today, and has therefore ghosted my messages about when they could fix it) was undoubtedly right about needing to install/re-install authorization tokens.

My guess is that the upgrade process didn't take into account (or didn't fully take into account, since my Slacker streaming worked fine) that my car is a "free Premium connectivity" model, without which means no TuneIn / Slacker unless you're on Wifi I think.

Really, I wasn't even upset until their senior technician started making up how TuneIn works, and that it was a separate module that wasn't included in the upgrade. Just wow. Okay to not know (it's a complicated beast), but making it up like that... just wow.

Is it irony that my day job is writing software for a home music system (not Sonos, but a competitor) that supports TuneIn, Tidal, Slacker, Spotify, USB files, and a dozen other music services? Yes. I think it is.

I would not have wasted my time with them any more than you have. A factory reset I described earlier here:

would probably be the first thing to do, and most likely would have brought your Tunein back as it did with my missing HomeLink (I did not bother to contact Tesla). The factory reset is more than just resetting user information.

Saga ending - car back, TuneIn works, all my favorites are there. Had to return the rather nice 100D with all the fixin's.

They said they had to pull the MCU2 to fix it.

I expect a factory reset would have done it too, but I'm glad to have all my favorites there. Besides the apparent lack of knowledge of how to do the job correctly in the first place, the really aggravating part was the clueless senior technician and his "not included in upgrade" bs.

Anyway, I'm happy for the moment. I think I'll try to avoid this SC (Marin County, CA fwiw) going forward if I can.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and mental support.

They said they had to pull the MCU2 to fix it

This part might be a BS too. TuneIn (or any app for that matter) is not using a hardware port requiring a connection cable they might have missed or a loose connection of sorts. I bet they got it fixed by software-refreshing certain settings at the server side.

But I'm glad it worked out for you without a factory reset.

Try different app functions: remote start, remote unlock, climate, trunk, etc. Sometimes the SC forgets a certificate.
Thanks for that. My car has been failing to respond to any form of remote open since the MCU2 install -- no unlock, no trunk, no frunk. (It will vent the roof so I guess that's kind of "remote open".) It was a real problem when I went to pick the car up after the install -- the staff had locked the fob in the car for after-hours pickup (which I hadn't requested) and I hadn't brought my extra fob... so inability to access the car was a serious bummer. Eventually they had a real mechanic with a glorified slim jim come break in for me.

I'll try the magic words "forgotten certificate" with them and see if it jars a synapse loose somewhere.

I just got a message from the SC that it should be on the (entertainment)Settings->Sources menu, and it ain't. Spotify, Tidal, the useless SiriusXM, but no TuneIn. I shall go drive the car to lunch and let it sit and see how it likes it.
I also had this problem, only with Slacker, which actually began after I factory reset my MCU1 in an attempt to clear up its balkiness (that was a fail). After MCU2 install Slacker was still MIA. Eventually someone with a clue must have read that portion of the ticket because after some weeks it started working again, PFM.

Anyone know if the IC has a similar chip issue? Mine is starting to exhibit similar behavior as my MCU did before EV-Fixme did the eMMC replacement: doesn't boot up when I get in the car, or freezes while I'm driving. I have to do the IC hard reset to fix it. Happening about 2-3 times a week now.

Anyone know if the IC has a similar chip issue? Mine is starting to exhibit similar behavior as my MCU did before EV-Fixme did the eMMC replacement: doesn't boot up when I get in the car, or freezes while I'm driving. I have to do the IC hard reset to fix it. Happening about 2-3 times a week now.
No answer here but have noticed similar behavior. :(

While it’s not as common, yes, the IC could experience the same issue. The CID and IC have very similar components but the CID handles a lot more data and is more prone to eMMC failure

My IC takes a while to wake from sleep, but I don't have to reset it. And it has never frozen while driving.

My MCU1 periodically reboots, often proceeded by a lack of touchscreen responsiveness (I did have Tesla replace the Tegra card pre-recall).