Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if the IC has a similar chip issue? Mine is starting to exhibit similar behavior as my MCU did before EV-Fixme did the eMMC replacement: doesn't boot up when I get in the car, or freezes while I'm driving. I have to do the IC hard reset to fix it. Happening about 2-3 times a week now.
I think thats my problem also....in the shop now getting VCM replaced even after MCU2 upgrade.

All these horror stories of botched MCU2 upgrade installs, together with the vastly increased price, are definitely cooling my enthusiasm for the job. :(

Yes, but it really depends on the Service Center you go to and who performs the work. The actual work on mine was completed flawlessly with no damage to the car itself (which I could not believe). There are occasional post-install glitches (that are totally separate from the quality of work done) that are well documented by the TMC posters which are related to the software and the vehicle settings that you need to correct.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and David29
My IC takes a while to wake from sleep, but I don't have to reset it. And it has never frozen while driving.

My MCU1 periodically reboots, often proceeded by a lack of touchscreen responsiveness (I did have Tesla replace the Tegra card pre-recall).
Same here with the IC, and now, a year after eMMC chip replacement, my MCU1 is acting up as well. I suspect they did not replace my eMMC with the upgraded chip.

Since I have only a month left on my CPO B to B warranty, went to VN service and asked to see the chip ID and status. They would not let me take a pic of the codes on their screen, and I did not write down the numbers like I should have. Info on a prior post here would have clarified the matter, but did not find it.

They said they cleared the memory, and I should reboot every day for a coup days, and the problem will go away. RRRRIGHT.

I had to install V11 before the visit, as they said they would update anyway, no matter my wishes to the contrary. Hope the chip can handle it

Will post the commentary on the invoice later, but I smell BS on the SC's part.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Same here with the IC, and now, a year after eMMC chip replacement, my MCU1 is acting up as well. I suspect they did not replace my eMMC with the upgraded chip.

Since I have only a month left on my CPO B to B warranty, went to VN service and asked to see the chip ID and status. They would not let me take a pic of the codes on their screen, and I did not write down the numbers like I should have. Info on a prior post here would have clarified the matter, but did not find it.

They said they cleared the memory, and I should reboot every day for a coup days, and the problem will go away. RRRRIGHT.

I had to install V11 before the visit, as they said they would update anyway, no matter my wishes to the contrary. Hope the chip can handle it

Will post the commentary on the invoice later, but I smell BS on the SC's part.
Here is a screen grab of the invoice. Pure BS about the dirty camera, I just washed the car and the glass in front of the camera was spotless today.

I'll be rebooting daily whilst I figure out how to use V11..

Screenshot_20220902-102510~2.png

Reactions: Droschke
Anyone knows if upgrading the eMMC in MCU1 would affect the homelink function? Recently had mine done and homelink no longer works and I can't even get it to reprogram? I tried asking service and so far they just seem to want to schedule an appointment at a service center, none of which are very close to me.

Anyone knows if upgrading the eMMC in MCU1 would affect the homelink function?…
I could never get the Homelink to work with my chamberlain opener. I had to get a legacy repeater. And programming that repeater/ opener combo is a pain.

So when they upgraded my MCU1 eMMC and Homelink stopped working I tried a few times and gave up. I should probably try again.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
Not sure if this is related to the eMMC thing but I went into my local SC in for a CCS Retrofit Upgrade (I have a 2017 Model S) they also wanted to upgrade my FSD hardware from 2.0 to 3.0 at no cost ( I have purchased FSD). It wasn't my priority and not even requested by me but why decline an update that it is free and should be better for your car? Well, it didn't turn out as expected.

Somehow the hardware was installed correctly however the firmware/software side had many issues, so many that even after 48 hours wasn't actually fixed when they said it was!

I came to pick it up and first thing I noticed was that the GPS navigation was stuck in the SC center, it won't update, nor recognise the orientation even though you could still search for places to drive to but won't update on both IC and screen. So it went back to the SC and they gave me a loaner car (which is only available for those with an unexpired warranty). The new completion estimate date is in a week since I dropped the car however they think that if the "part" arrives earlier, then it could be potentially be 3 days earlier. We will wait and see if they finally solve it because before any of this my car was fine!

On a separate issue, I've requested the MCU 2 upgrade (this is scheduled in circa 10 days time) and the advisor confirmed it that the name for service request is: "replace VCM to Upgrade 8GB eMMC: Is this correct? there's no mention of MCU 2 at all but they've confirmed that's basically MCU 2...

On a separate issue, I've requested the MCU 2 upgrade (this is scheduled in circa 10 days time) and the advisor confirmed it that the name for service request is: "replace VCM to Upgrade 8GB eMMC: Is this correct? there's no mention of MCU 2 at all but they've confirmed that's basically MCU 2...
No, that is not the MCU2 upgrade, which Tesla calls the Infotainment Upgrade, that is just replacing the eMMC in your MCU1, with a larger one.