Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got the MCU2 upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner. I had already paid $200.00 for the LTE upgrade previously so wondering if I would’ve gotten that with the MCU2 upgrade for free. Anyone know if that was included?

Beyond that, I really like the responsiveness of the screen now. First time since I got the car that I can use the Satellite View without it constantly breaking up and Tiling. Having the new Apple Music update is awesome. Not sure if that would’ve worked with the original MCU.

Only problem I had was my microphone stopped functioning and I couldn’t do voice commands. Kept giving me a connection error. Fortunately after I made an appointment at the SC they sent a software update that fixed it.

So all is well on my 2013 noseconer. Got my rims shaved and re-clear coated and had a couple of dings removed and repainted and the car looks good as new. Until something more compelling comes out of Tesla that can justify $90k I plan to just hang on to it. 😎

On a separate issue, I've requested the MCU 2 upgrade (this is scheduled in circa 10 days time) and the advisor confirmed it that the name for service request is: "replace VCM to Upgrade 8GB eMMC: Is this correct? there's no mention of MCU 2 at all but they've confirmed that's basically MCU 2...
Re: replace VCM to Upgrade 8GB eMMC
A google search shows that there is a recall. NHTSA doc below as well as the tesla site info [spin ;) ]

nTahyXa.jpg

Service here has gotten worse. I couldn't take it anymore, sold the nose cone car.

I will be unwatching this thread, but want to say thanks for all the advice over the years. I have shared this site with the new owner, perhaps he will upgrade..
@aerodyne, we surely will miss you. You have made a valuable contribution to this forum over the years. Surely hope you return, Tesla or not.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
I could never get the Homelink to work with my chamberlain opener. I had to get a legacy repeater. And programming that repeater/ opener combo is a pain.

So when they upgraded my MCU1 eMMC and Homelink stopped working I tried a few times and gave up. I should probably try again.
For what it’s worth I have a Chamberlain opener and Homelink works with it. Had to reprogram it after the memory card upgrade but it worked fine after the MCU2 upgrade.

* The 1st time I tried to do I recall there was a couple of different ways to program it and the first one didn’t work. Ended up googling an alternate method that worked.

The last time I did it after the memory card update I followed the instructions on the Tesla screen and it worked first time. So might be worth giving it another shot if it’s been a while since you tried it.

I recently got the MCU2 upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner. 😎
Heeeeyyyy, money's not cheap. I mean money costs - ah MONEY. I got my MCU2 upgrade in March 2020. I was one of the first. Mine costs more than yours. Mine at that time was $2500 and did not include the FM radio. Wasn't even an option. Since I mentioned the radio, let me say, I worked with Teslatap.com and we sort of forced Tesla's hand to offer the FM radio. We figured a way to install it ourselves. I installed it and wired it to my S. However Tesla corporate was watching our progress and tracking our efforts and declined to enable the FM digital radio in the MCU gateway. So, its still installed but does not work. All that is another story and is well documented here. Tesla told everyone it was not possible. We showed it was possible to within 99% of getting it working. Results were though a few months later, Tesla offered it for just the cost of the module. A bargain. Mission accomplished.

For many months after that, I said the MCU2 upgrade was cheap at $2500. It was worth twice that in value to me for what it did to the car. It was like getting a new car. Well worth the $2500 at that time.

So, why am I harping on this instead of just shutting up? The money you are spending for your MCU2 upgrade is a bargain for the improvements to your car. If you don't believe one person's opinion, take a couple of days off and read the hundreds of comments here made by people explaining how satisfied they are with MCU2 - even after we had told them again and again it was a very good idea and worth the improvement in their car.

AND let me put this in perspective for all. For a couple of years before Tesla was replacing the eMMC free, I was tracking failures. I collected data across U.S., and Canada and Europe. I reached out to anyone with a reported failure. I also contacted the 3rd party fixers. I routinely chatted and email them. I had details. I can tell you having read many many posts, that in the very early days of MCU1 failures of the eMMC, there were no refurbished MCUs. Before Tesla offered the eMMC daughterboard replacement, (April/May 2019) they only offered the repair as a refurbished MCU1 (about Oct 2018); AND they kept your old one. (Those old failed ones were selling on eBay for $1,000). In those days, installed refurbished MCU1 was $3,000, later $2500, later $1900, then $1700, and cheaper. But in early/mid 2018, I read of post/reports from owners that paid $4,000 for a NEW MCU1. There were no MCU1 cores available to refurbish. This was before Tesla was offering a refurbished unit. Think about that for a minute. There was no other game in town. this was before 3rd party fixers were experimenting and beginning to replace eMMCs and copying the firmware on the chips.

Consider the anger and frustration from those 2012+ S owners that had to pay $4,000 plus tax for a NEW off the assembly line MCU1. All it did was bring it back to the same performance as when new. Same performance for $4,000 as a $400 daughterboard two years later.

It was more than 16 months later, 16 months before Feb 2020 when EM has said, they were working on a MCU2 Upgrade. It still took that 16 months. Can you imagine the anger and frustration of those owners that had no choice but pay $4,000 for MCU1 replacement and we got MCU2 for about half that cost?

Yes, anywhere north or south of $2,000 for a MCU2 upgrade is a bargain. Do you think Tesla is making a lot on that MCU2 upgrade? I don't know, but I don't think so. There's the MCU1 replacement. I think it will be around for a while. HOWEVER, we all know MCU2 is not a production car product. There's no future for Tesla to be building MCU2 for new cars. Its not used now in new cars. There is NO Guarantee that MCU2 upgrade products/kits are going to always be available. We could easily see an announcement that in xx of days or months MCU2 will no longer be available. It could happen as easily as it came to happen.

I think. I think if you are even remotely considering MCU2 for your MCU1 S/X, you better get it while you can. But then again, what do I know? Nuthin' honey.

Last edited:
I recently got the MCU2 upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner. I had already paid $200.00 for the LTE upgrade previously so wondering if I would’ve gotten that with the MCU2 upgrade for free. Anyone know if that was included?

Beyond that, I really like the responsiveness of the screen now. First time since I got the car that I can use the Satellite View without it constantly breaking up and Tiling. Having the new Apple Music update is awesome. Not sure if that would’ve worked with the original MCU.

Only problem I had was my microphone stopped functioning and I couldn’t do voice commands. Kept giving me a connection error. Fortunately after I made an appointment at the SC they sent a software update that fixed it.

So all is well on my 2013 noseconer. Got my rims shaved and re-clear coated and had a couple of dings removed and repainted and the car looks good as new. Until something more compelling comes out of Tesla that can justify $90k I plan to just hang on to it. 😎

Yes MCU2 does include the LTE upgrade and also you will get a replacement instrument cluster with hardware two. I'm surprised they didn't give you a refund for having already purchased the LTE. My service center gave me credit on the invoice for the previous LTE install.

And I'm with you on that I'm still driving my 2012 Signature and I hear you loud and clear the price point for Model S is just too high there's no there there to justify that in my mind. So I'm just going to keep driving the one I have. Model 3 or Model Y are not appealing to me.

@aerodyne, we surely will miss you. You have made a valuable contribution to this forum over the years. Surely hope you return, Tesla or not.
Well, thanks. Not in your league of course...

Should mention your posts both here and in the old Tesla forum were helpful in getting the new owner to upgrade my old car to MCU2. He is loving it so far.

I'll be over in the refresh Model S issues threads, for some reason...😉

Yes MCU2 does include the LTE upgrade and also you will get a replacement instrument cluster with hardware two. I'm surprised they didn't give you a refund for having already purchased the LTE. My service center gave me credit on the invoice for the previous LTE install.

And I'm with you on that I'm still driving my 2012 Signature and I hear you loud and clear the price point for Model S is just too high there's no there there to justify that in my mind. So I'm just going to keep driving the one I have. Model 3 or Model Y are not appealing to me.
That's an excellent point about a refund or reduction for LTE. It never hurts to ask. As I recall, I think I have heard it occur. The likely didn't notice or it wasn't asked for. In any event, I think its a worth ask. And I hope he gets it. Would have been more timely if asked at time of MCU2 upgrade and SC would know to pull that board from the MCU1 before it went into the recycle/refurbish bucket.

Reactions: bareyb
Well, thanks. Not in your league of course...

Should mention your posts both here and in the old Tesla forum were helpful in getting the new owner to upgrade my old car to MCU2. He is loving it so far.

I'll be over in the refresh Model S issues threads, for some reason...😉
oh gosh, shucks. (foot shuffling, and kicking dirt up). That's mighty kind of ya. Thankeee. Really thankeee.

I am sure someone a lot more knowledgeable will chime in, but besides the read/write failure that will eventually happen (me 3x), my thoughts are that the size of the s/w file is outgrowing the ability of the original memory and H/W specifications. (think DOS vs Windows vs now) I updated to the MCU2 in my 2012 Sig - night and day difference. I got the upgrade for $1500 a year or so ago. This was not the sister board memory, but a new MCU board, along with new screens (main and binacle). I hope this helps.

I am sure someone a lot more knowledgeable will chime in, but besides the read/write failure that will eventually happen (me 3x), my thoughts are that the size of the s/w file is outgrowing the ability of the original memory and H/W specifications. (think DOS vs Windows vs now) I updated to the MCU2 in my 2012 Sig - night and day difference. I got the upgrade for $1500 a year or so ago. This was not the sister board memory, but a new MCU board, along with new screens (main and binacle). I hope this helps.
And that new MCU2 includes LTE vice 3G for those folks that are still on 3G.

I have LTE on my MCU1. I don't want to upgrade to MCU2. My wife has an MCU2 and for what I use it for it's just not worth the money, even if I wasn't planning on selling the car in a couple of months. The next owner can do this if they feel it's worth while as I am certain I would never recover the upgrade fee when I sell the car.

My question is purely because the car is going into service for something else, and they offered to do a "VCM recall". My VCM currently has a bulletproof emmc on it which will outlive the car, but when I replaced it I kept the partitions layout, meaning only 8GB total is used (many good reasons back then, improved reliability, not confusing Tesla software since back then there was only 8GB official configurations, etc). I didn't bother rooting the car at the time, so I cannot just log-in to expand the data partition. I don't have any desire or time to root it either. I am trying to figure out if there is any benefit at all to replacing my VCM with refurb 64GB VCM as part of the recall, while it does carry risks of upgrade screwing up something.

Also, if upgrading to MCU2, if you have not had the MCU1 recall done yet, do you get a discount on MCU2?

I have LTE on my MCU1. I don't want to upgrade to MCU2. My wife has an MCU2 and for what I use it for it's just not worth the money, even if I wasn't planning on selling the car in a couple of months. The next owner can do this if they feel it's worth while as I am certain I would never recover the upgrade fee when I sell the car.

My question is purely because the car is going into service for something else, and they offered to do a "VCM recall". My VCM currently has a bulletproof emmc on it which will outlive the car, but when I replaced it I kept the partitions layout, meaning only 8GB total is used (many good reasons back then, improved reliability, not confusing Tesla software since back then there was only 8GB official configurations, etc). I didn't bother rooting the car at the time, so I cannot just log-in to expand the data partition. I don't have any desire or time to root it either. I am trying to figure out if there is any benefit at all to replacing my VCM with refurb 64GB VCM as part of the recall, while it does carry risks of upgrade screwing up something.

Also, if upgrading to MCU2, if you have not had the MCU1 recall done yet, do you get a discount on MCU2?
The MCU upgrade price is just what the cost was at the time after coming down from the initial $2500, then down to $2000, then lower.
My second replacement MCU1 was refunded via the NTSB enforced recall. The first replacement was part of the CPO warrantee.

I am not totally following your VCM scenario, plus it has been a while since I was deep in "the know" of the MCU upgrades - and I got a lot of good knowledge and advice here on TMC on background and options. There are 112 pages in this thread - a lot to read, but perhaps your answer is buried in them?
I know there are others that are more versed in this all than me. But that being stated, if you are currently at 8GB, and can get upgraded to 64GB (what I referred to as the sister-board upgrade, keeping the MCU1 and the older HW and screens) that seems like a no-brainer. But I am not sure of the implications for your partitioning/customization.

But I sure enjoy the almost flawless screen updates using navigation. No more tiling.

@whitex, I went back into my eMMC failure spreadsheet and found where you told me your first eMMC failed. My data shows your X eMMC failed in 4/20 (39,000 miles?) Wow, that's nearly 3 years ago. As I recall, you did your own chip swap. I admire that. I could not. That was impressive.

I wasn't going to say anthing now, but... Not even encourage you to get MCU2 since you are not interested. But... I do hope you would allow the SC to upgrade your 8 to the 64, because you said you are going to sell the S in a few months. Who knows would could happen in the future as we know Tesla is famous for their about-face on policy. If there's any chance they would invalid a replacement eMMC board on a new owner, you are doing some one that buys your S a favor now doing it since as you said, its going in anyway. Just my two cents.

Even if you are selling it, I hope you will still be here in the future. I have read and watched for your post with interest over the years. And Happy New Year.

(I would have guessed you already had LTE. I threw that out there for anyone else that was considering the MCU2 upgrade that still had 3G on their MCU1.)

@whitex, I went back into my eMMC failure spreadsheet and found where you told me your first eMMC failed. My data shows your X eMMC failed in 4/20 (39,000 miles?) Wow, that's nearly 3 years ago. As I recall, you did your own chip swap. I admire that. I could not. That was impressive.

I wasn't going to say anthing now, but... Not even encourage you to get MCU2 since you are not interested. But... I do hope you would allow the SC to upgrade your 8 to the 64, because you said you are going to sell the S in a few months. Who knows would could happen in the future as we know Tesla is famous for their about-face on policy. If there's any chance they would invalid a replacement eMMC board on a new owner, you are doing some one that buys your S a favor now doing it since as you said, its going in anyway. Just my two cents.

Even if you are selling it, I hope you will still be here in the future. I have read and watched for your post with interest over the years. And Happy New Year.

(I would have guessed you already had LTE. I threw that out there for anyone else that was considering the MCU2 upgrade that still had 3G on their MCU1.)
Thanks. Happy New Year to you too.

I was asking the question here because I've stopped tinkering with Teslas a while ago, so I'm not up to date on latest Tesla image sizes, storage usage/utilization, etc. My current MCU1 works just fine, hence my hesitation ("don't fix what ain't broken"?). The replacement VCM Tesla would give me is not new, it's a remanufactured unit without any warranty on it (at least none that I have seen, since my MCU1 is out of warranty). Additionally, they have to take apart the dashboard and the MCU, and should the screen suddenly develop bubbles or whatever due to handling, that's also not covered. Last but not least, the hassle of making sure they properly upgraded everything, did they re-key the security module so that the app still open doors and enable driving, does homelink still work, etc (all things that can be missed during an MCU swap). And of course resetting up all the car settings, re-pairing with homelink, cell phones, setting up GPS, etc - minor inconvenience perhaps, but still an inconvenience. So I'm on the fence about it.

I will probably still visit the forum, though I haven't really been active much here already. Will be keeping one of the Teslas for a bit longer, but I kind of lost the passion for Tesla. Getting ready for an incoming Taycan - with the long wait for it I've had a lot of time to learn about them, even picked up some salvage ECU's with which to tinker on a bench. Way different design than Tesla, it's interesting to see different approaches to design, and how some things Tesla got right with their approach to design, while other thing which Porsche did better.

PS> Since this is a Tesla forum, let's give the fans some fun facts. ;) Wanna know one thing Tesla did hands down better than Porsche, on every aspect? Charging EVSE (Mobile Charger and HPWC or Wall Connector) - gotta love Tesla's small, light, long lasting, capable equipment. Porsche EVSE's, on the other hand, are heavy and bulky, plus just got nerfed over-the-air limiting them to half current (20A) because they overheated and melted the plugs they connect to, or even circuit breakers - all that to save a few cents on wire thickness I presume. I am actually converting my HPWC to use with the Taycan (swapping in a cable with the J1772 handle, will balance 80A with the remaining Tesla on another HPWC) and planning to use an extra Tesla mobile charger I have with a TeslaTap adapter as the mobile charger to keep in the car (so much smaller and lighter than the Porsche one, plus I can use TeslaTap adapter with Tesla destination chargers).

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Who knows would could happen in the future as we know Tesla is famous for their about-face on policy. If there's any chance they would invalid a replacement eMMC board on a new owner, you are doing some one that buys your S a favor now doing it since as you said, its going in anyway. Just my two cents.
To be honest, I am not worried about them invalidating a replacement eMMC chip - very unlikely to happen, especially that they reimbursed some folks for a 3rd party eMMC replacement in lieu of a recall. I am more worried about them never testing their software updates on MCU1 with only 8GB storage, and my MCU running into bugs because it's running out of space - I'm less worried for me over the next couple of months as I could just not update my car for that period, but more for the next owner who will likely hit the "update" button, I would not want him or her to have to deal with this.

PS> Since this is a Tesla forum, let's give the fans some fun facts. ;) Wanna know one thing Tesla did hands down better than Porsche, on every aspect? Charging EVSE (Mobile Charger and HPWC or Wall Connector) - gotta love Tesla's small, light, long lasting, capable equipment. Porsche EVSE's, on the other hand, are heavy and bulky, plus just got nerfed over-the-air limiting them to half current (20A) because they overheated and melted the plugs they connect to, or even circuit breakers - all that to save a few cents on wire thickness I presume. I am actually converting my HPWC to use with the Taycan (swapping in a cable with the J1772 handle, will balance 80A with the remaining Tesla on another HPWC) and planning to use an extra Tesla mobile charger I have with a TeslaTap adapter as the mobile charger to keep in the car (so much smaller and lighter than the Porsche one, plus I can use TeslaTap adapter with Tesla destination chargers).
Fun Fact is right, right on the money. I suspect there are a few here like me that can remember even before the first S was delivered. Tesla tried to call a meeting. Actually they did call a meeting, they invited VW, MB, Audi, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford to a EVSE Charging workshop. It was after the Roadster deliveries, but before the first S's were delivered. You know those days, it was when Tesla was more rumor than manufacturer. Tesla wanted a US standard and was of course was going to propose their S/X design plug/charge port. Same one we use today. I don't think we would have known this meeting was even called had it not been for a couple of EV e-mags reporting on it. It sort of embarrassed Tesla, but really pissed EM off. No one showed up to the meeting. The e-mags reported on the meeting and that no one attended by Tesla. Word was something like "if you don't want to go with our choice and don't want to discuss it, we will go our own way." Seems like a lifetime ago.

Hey and thanks for not calling out my mistake in that last post. The one where I fat fingered and said you had a X vice your S. Best of luck to you with your Porsche. I personally want all EVs all manufacturers to success with their own design & approaches. The more the merrier that reduces the ICE.