Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made this post on the tesla.com forum yesterday:

MCU1-MCU1 replacement. Ratings - Local 8/10, corporate 1/10

My MCU1 died on Mar 4. Scheduled service the only way possible - via app. Was texted a mobile service appt from 515-519-7274 for Mar 16.

Mar 4 - Got another text a little while later asking me a few questions and suggesting I do a reboot (already done).

Mar 4 - Responded to that text, stating I'd already tried a reboot several times, and with some questions (including "are sure this can be handled by a mobile tech?") and never got a response.

Mar 11 - Text received "your concern is not mobile capable. Please use the mobile app to make a time/date work for you." First available at my usual SvC was Mar 23. Texted asking if anything was available sooner and received no response. Looked in the app at another nearby SvC and found an appt for Mar 17, and scheduled it.

Mar 17 - car dropped off at SvC. Offered a pre-AP MS loaner. Outside was immaculate. Inside was dirty. Asked if that text number is one way or interactive. Service rep said they have a team that should be responding to questions via text. They weren't. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the way service is scheduled and that there's no way to talk with anyone. Service rep commiserated with me and said most customers feel the same way. I was given the "secret menu" how to contact them via telephone. They also said they would contact me via telephone if I preferred.

Mar 19 - car sat for 2 days with nothing being done. Got a call saying they were able to reboot the car, but the memory chip was 80% "used up" and it would be prudent to replace the MCU. I asked about MCU2 replacement instead and was told it couldn't be done on my car. Asked to speak to the service manager. He (Ryan) was very pleasant and said if I could find a VIN of an AP1 car that had an MCU2, he'd look into it. He gave me his personal phone number to call back. Apparently the one poster on TMC who said he got a MCU2 was mistaken. Contacted Ryan directly via voice/phone and said go ahead with MCU1 replacement.

Mar 20 - Texted that car was ready. Total price was $1627.40 which included $1300 for MCU1, $8.80 for rear view camera HSD jumper, $7.70 for bluetooth antenna, $201.50 for labor, plus tax.

I asked them if they could rotate the tires as long as the car was in. Price for rotation was $133, so I said "never mind!"

On the invoice, it included courtesy checks including topped off wiper fluid (tank was already full) and tire tread readings of 0 (zero) across the board. I called them up (and they answered!) to ask if they forgot to record them on the invoice and they said it must not have been done. My tires have about 5K miles on them (and I have eyes), so I knew 0 was impossible :)

When MCU1 is replaced, all your settings are lost, including lifetime wh/mi :-( There should be a way for Service to save them, then transfer them. But no... Ironically, all their logging is the root of this MCU problem. Oddly, a few of my Slacker favorites were still there, but everything else from top to bottom, needed to be reset. I had forgotten what a few of the settings were, so had to look it up (the on-screen manual should have a search feature!) They forgot to turn mobile access back on, so I went into Safety and Security tab and scratched my head when I couldn't find the Mobile Access setting. Then the light bulb went off and I scrolled down and found it.

In summary, I was overall pleased with the local SvC. Service access and scheduling, from the corporate level, is horrendous. Grown-ups shouldn't be forced to communicate via app and text, especially for a luxury-priced car. This isn't an Xbox or Gameboy.

Car currently downloading 2020.8.1.1.

I find it disappointing that going through the official repair channels are a worse experience than going 3rd party.

My fix was cheaper, I got to keep all my settings and info, and I have systems access so I can perform diagnostics myself.

Tesla won't even pull their own data off their own products to provide a better experience.

Reactions: Altes
hi-

I’m updating with a happy ending basically. Tesla got the part two days after they took my car in. Then it took maybe three business days to get the part in and functioning. My only hassle was getting back home and then back to Chicago to get the car. I had three different flights get cancelled... Not Tesla’s fault.

No surprises with the car. I’m finally driving home with my car today, two weeks later all said. No charge under warranty. No option to update to mcu2 at this time.

Hi folks,

I’ve got a 2016 bis CPO model S with about 48,000 miles. My MCU has gone dark over the weekend, and it has me trapped in Chicago until Monday morning - I need to get back to MN. Unfortunately there weren’t obvious signs, and I didn’t turn off Pin2Drive; had I done so, I might have been able to put the car into drive without my mcu- alas

I’m thankful for the bank of information here. It’s helpful to know I’m not alone in 2020/2019, and that the issue hasn’t all disappeared. I’m adding my information as a data point. I’ll follow up once the service center gives me information.

I suppose I don’t know yet whether it’s the emmc or something else. I do know that the mobile app doesn’t pick up the car, emergency roadside couldn’t access the car remotely, center screen is completely non responsive even after attempts to reboot with the scroll wheels, summon doesn’t engage when holding the keyfob, and so on.

I do have a dashcam hooked up through the outlet above the rearview mirror. Should I unplug it to keep the 12v battery safe?

my hopes:
1. That there isn’t a long wait time for the part(s)
2. That the issue is completely covered by warranty
3. That there’s an option to upgrade directly to mcu2 either for free or for a modest price

I’m concerned about the lack of transparency on the topic. I can’t really tell how pervasive an issue this is, but it seems common enough for this fine sub-community of posters to exist. I wish that Tesla would acknowledge the situation and set our minds at ease. I mean- when folks acquire a used car and they can’t evaluate whether it’s in good shape, or when you get it from Tesla cpo or new and there’s no explicit recognition that there’s a part that’s likely to fail, it’s just hard to plan ahead. A person is just supposed to guess whether their mcu will cut out when they’re driving an older vehicle? This is my first car, but I imagine with other cars two things are possible: (1) there are more easily recognizable signs for key components that are soon to fail, (2) if a key component on a more common car goes bad while traveling, there is likely a marketplace of competent mechanics who can offer service - whereas with a Tesla we are reliant on Tesla and a small but growing network of individuals doing the lord’s work and fixing out of warranty cars.

I don’t mean to whine, but I do want to develop my sense and expectations for what it’s reasonable to anticipate from Tesla or any other automaker. Of course nothing lasts forever; of course car components fail at some point. But should I think, “of course this component of my car, which is central to normal function and designed to be used such a way that it is likely to fail before anything else, will fail and of course the typical consumer won’t know why it’s failed, when it’ll fail, how to prevent it from failing, and may be stuck in any number of inconvenient circumstances all without any kind of intelligible warning”. Is that normal?

Anyway, I’ll follow up once I hear from Tesla - in case anyone is interested in whether mcu2 is available for this kind of repair and so on.

Great video if you haven't removed the MCU before. We also fix the eMMC and provide root access if anyone is interested. We usually can save your profiles and other information as well so its as if it never happened.
It would be great if the Electrified Garage could use the video to remove MCU and add how to remove and replace the digital FM radio. Many of us planning on doing the Infotainment upgrade and would like to install the digital FM radio since Tesla will not do it for us. I know that the configuration has to be change. I assume you need root access to do this.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
As of this date, we've only heard of one person that has completed the digital radio swap. And no explanation how they got the car's configuration changed to allow the newer radio. And I don't think it was EG that did it or has done one. Maybe they will.

Last edited:
As of this date, we've only heard of one person that has completed the digital radio swap. And no explanation how they got the car's configuration changed to allow the newer radio. And I don't think it was EG that did it or has done one. Maybe they will.

My guess is there will be a few ;)... But none of them will ever be service center performed, and like would not be any cars under warranty, and likely service center would not ever service them again.

Any done will be serviced under warranty. Likely not for a radio issue, but certainly for other things. I suspect that's what you meant. No radio warranty, but it wound not void the rest of the warranty.

If there's enough response from the existing owners that want the radio after the MCU2 upgrade, I believe Tesla will offer it. But I don't think it will come cheap. Radio at about $280, and two three hours of labor will be $400-$500. So for those that reallllllllly want it, they will do it. That's my guess. And it is just my guess.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the MCU2 have this eMMC issue also? I have MCU1 now, but plan on getting the Infotainment upgrade and hopefully trying to get the digital FM radio to work with it also. Just wondering if I have to worry about eMMC eventually as well.

Yes it does. That's heaping a lot of information into one word though. The MCU1 eMMC is an 8 GB chip. The MCU2 eMMC is a 32 GB chip. So, while it will eventually - as you said, fail, its expected to last 4-10 times longer before that fails.

Curious. Do you have a plan or idea on how to go about getting the digital FM radio to work?