Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having my car back online, I noticed that the liftgate doesn't work in app. Nor the frunk or opening the locks. Other functions work normally.

I have now factory reseted the car, updated the fw to the latest version, removed and installed the app on my phone but nothing helps.

Any clue? I think Tesla missed some cert file that needed to be recovered. I'll send them a message so they can check what's wrong with it.

You are missing your mcu_commands_key file. SC should be able to restore that for you.

My 2013 P85 MCU went down on 4/24 after a reboot, I was still able to charge so I was one of the lucky ones.My appointment was for this morning so I took it in . The new MCU is supposed to have a 4 year warranty according to a text I received today from the SC. I've been lucky not have had any issues with my Tesla products (solar) and vehicles P85 and M3 but with this many posts on MCU replacements it shouldn't come as a surprise. However this is my first post in 4 yrs about a problem so hopefully it will be another 4 yrs till my next.

Attachments

• invoice.PNG
    invoice.PNG
    114.4 KB · Views: 311
Oh, that was just what I thought. Read it somewhere here. Thanks for confirmation. Let's see if they can do it OTA or is it impossible?

Not going to pay them any extra. They should know their toys...
actual... They probably wont know that file name... may be best to just tell them you can see the car in your app, but cant unlock, start car, open roof, etc. Not sure if they can OTA it or not.. But should have been done the first time you were there.

Is it me, or is almost every person reporting MCU fix by Tesla reporting paying a different price?
I only paid one price :)

Three issues:
1. They do keep adjusting the price every few weeks for the refurb (mine was 1300 + a few minor parts (cable, etc. + labor + tax = ~1800)
In was more at the beginning, then they lowered it, now they raised it a bit.
2. The problem has been so widespread, seems they now have a supply of new units, too, which is 500 more than refurb.
3. It's Tesla - Like Musk, the company always had ADD..

Anybody have issues with 2020.12.11.5. My MCU keeps crashing trying to update the firmware. I’ve got 96k On my 14 P85+ And this car has been rock solid until today. I assume its the eMMC/ MCU headed to hospice.
What do you guys think? Dropping at Tysons Corner SC for diagnosis in case it’s something else. If they offer me the 2.0 upgrade I’ll leave it until they come in. If not I might need a eMMCectomy. Or not?

Anybody have issues with 2020.12.11.5. My MCU keeps crashing trying to update the firmware. I’ve got 96k On my 14 P85+ And this car has been rock solid until today. I assume its the eMMC/ MCU headed to hospice.
What do you guys think? Dropping at Tysons Corner SC for diagnosis in case it’s something else. If they offer me the 2.0 upgrade I’ll leave it until they come in. If not I might need a eMMCectomy. Or not?
Yes it sounds like emmc is about to die. Firmware death is very common with old emmc. Also big risk to loose certs. Better to replace it sooner than later.

I'm not saying your emmc is not dying, as going by the age of the car is must be (unless the car had a replacement more recently). However, just a quick note, when my MCU1 with brand new emmc tried upgrading to 2020.12.11.5, it did something weird. I launched the update from the app, but then the update started and after showing 10% suddenly went back to update available. I went back to the car and saw the update notification on the screen, and also the IC did not light up. I figured maybe it's upgrading in the backround, so left it for a bit. When I came back, still the same thing. I hit install now, the car said installing for a mintue or two, and then back to the notification screen. Rebooting the MCU made the IC come to life and MCU booted just fine, then I hit install now and it installed successfully as expected. I've never seen this behavior before.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Just for planning purposes anybody have any idea how much an non-OEM eMMCectomy costs? I live in Northern Virginia, anybody near here that does this? I can pull the MCU, worked on mobile electronics for over 35 years, looks pretty easy, just need to pick up some air shims and 6-9T Torx screwdrivers/sockets. not sure where to pick up anti-static electronic bags...

Just for planning purposes anybody have any idea how much an non-OEM eMMCectomy costs? I live in Northern Virginia, anybody near here that does this? I can pull the MCU, worked on mobile electronics for over 35 years, looks pretty easy, just need to pick up some air shims and 6-9T Torx screwdrivers/sockets. not sure where to pick up anti-static electronic bags...
@Tony T Does repairs and Amazon for anti static bags

• Informative
just need to pick up some air shims and 6-9T Torx screwdrivers/sockets.
I did this recently, and for me unscrewing the two 10mm bolds holding the passenger side airbag (see 2:20 in video below) made the air shims not necessary dash came out very easily. Maybe it was just my car, but other videos I saw people using the air-shim didn't unscrew the airbag.

• Informative
I'm not saying your emmc is not dying, as going by the age of the car is must be (unless the car had a replacement more recently). However, just a quick note, when my MCU1 with brand new emmc tried upgrading to 2020.12.11.5, it did something weird. I launched the update from the app, but then the update started and after showing 10% suddenly went back to update available. I went back to the car and saw the update notification on the screen, and also the IC did not light up. I figured maybe it's upgrading in the backround, so left it for a bit. When I came back, still the same thing. I hit install now, the car said installing for a mintue or two, and then back to the notification screen. Rebooting the MCU made the IC come to life and MCU booted just fine, then I hit install now and it installed successfully as expected. I've never seen this behavior before.
I also do not think this has to do with the eMMC failing. My car got a new MCU September last year and since more recent releases came out in 2020 I needed to do the update in the car by at least a soft reset with only the scroll wheels to get it started.

Is the bag for the whole screen or just a component? Basically which size do I need to order? is this big enough?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WW4Z5Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Q82TEbSME56W1

The Tegra board is only 3" x 3"; so that is more than big enough.

I found one air bag was adequate. It is not required but I found it nice to have it expand and break the clips of the dash apart, instead of ripping the dash upwards. It is pretty easy to scratch the delicate aluminum trim above the mcu, even through masking tape from the sharp grounding tab at the top of the mcu. The bag in place provides the clearance and saves you jamming something else in there to keep it raised such as cardboard etc. that might be in the way.

It has come in handy for other tasks around the home. Such as levelling/balancing the clothes washer. I suppose that is why they sell it at Home Depot :)

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/winbag-inflatable-reusable-shim-300-lbs-/1001043193

• Informative
Just removed my EMMC.. to hold the dash up, i used two pieces of cardboard. Be sure if you go this route, slide the cardboard where the clips are. Be sure each pieces of cardboard engages with two clips.

for the static bag. I can’t find it anywhere. So amazon is my only choice. 4-day delay.

you want to ship just the eMMC, not the entire MCU. To remove the eMMC follow the instruction on page one. My eMMC used 2-T7 screws. And 2 T6. 2013 model.

message me if you like a picture of the eMMC.

• Informative
Earlier in a couple of posts I stated that configuring the EM-20 Swissbit chip makes it equivalent to EM-26 chip, but as I was answering a related question in a different conversation, I put together a quick datasheet based comparison table and it turns out the EM-20 configured as PSLC is close, but not identical to EM-26, the largest difference being random write IOPS. Anyways, I figured I'd share it here; below is a table comparing three 32GB capacity swissbit chips.
upload_2020-5-10_21-4-45.png

And here are the detailed performance tables for all configurations (where the number above came from):

EM-20 vs. EM-26.jpg

Last edited: