Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DVLA / DVSA's (predictable) response:-
"Mr Winlow
Further to my colleagues email
DVSA has investigated a similar incident.
Our investigations determined screen failure does not immediately affect the driver’s ability to control the vehicle and is able to bring the vehicle to a halt. The driver can then determine appropriate action(s).
As such DVSA will not be taking further action on this occasion.
Thank you for contacting DVSA."

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Well, I think I've joined the club. 2014 P85D with 56k miles. Yesterday went for a drive with the wife and was streaming Tune-In (which I rarely do, but for fun I put on the 'Yacht Rock' channel).

On the way up, I noticed a few little quirks in the display. But when we get to our destination, the screen just goes black, IC stays on. I try a IC reboot, which reboots quickly, but still no MCU screen (and no A/C, etc). Eventually after about 5 minutes MCU boots up, but the touch screen is entirely non-responsive.

We start driving home. The nav screen is up and working (tracking our progress), but absolutely nothing on the screen responds to touch. We get home fine, and then I try another MCU reboot, which it does, and the touchscreen is now responsive again. So I plugged in the car to make sure I have enough charge to get to the SC if/when I need to and the MCU dies entirely. For now, it seems to be running normally and I have mobile app access.

Luckily, I do have the ESA so I can get it fixed under warranty. I just wish Tesla offered a warranty+cash upgrade to MCU2 program.

Well, I think I've joined the club. 2014 P85D with 56k miles. Yesterday went for a drive with the wife and was streaming Tune-In (which I rarely do, but for fun I put on the 'Yacht Rock' channel).

On the way up, I noticed a few little quirks in the display. But when we get to our destination, the screen just goes black, IC stays on. I try a IC reboot, which reboots quickly, but still no MCU screen (and no A/C, etc). Eventually after about 5 minutes MCU boots up, but the touch screen is entirely non-responsive.

We start driving home. The nav screen is up and working (tracking our progress), but absolutely nothing on the screen responds to touch. We get home fine, and then I try another MCU reboot, which it does, and the touchscreen is now responsive again. So I plugged in the car to make sure I have enough charge to get to the SC if/when I need to and the MCU dies entirely. For now, it seems to be running normally and I have mobile app access.

Luckily, I do have the ESA so I can get it fixed under warranty. I just wish Tesla offered a warranty+cash upgrade to MCU2 program.
The app will connect temporarily. Mine was connecting until last week (just view no control). Now it can not connect at all. My MCU went out in May and still waiting for replacement with Tesla. Make sure and confirm with your SC that they have the MCU at hand. I've been rescheduled three times. Currently I don't even have an appointment. It's coming up on six weeks for me. I'm lucky that my a/c works and I can also charge. I drive it at a minimum because the a/c keeps running. It takes about four hours before the a/c turns off.

Another happy customer here! Thank you Tony!
Tuesday morning, got into my Tesla Model S P90D and the main screen was black with all the missing features (no HVAC, no radio, no Autopilot, no control of moon roof,...). Looked online and found this thread...contacted Tony and pulled the Tegra board out that afternoon.
PXL_20200630_230832709 (1).jpg

Decided to drive from the Bay Area (Los Altos, CA) to Irvine and back in one day...yep, with Tony offering a one-day turnaround (additional fees may apply). Got back home at 11:15pm last night, and installed the updated eMMC/Tegra board this morning and all is back to a 'normal' working state. Thank you again Tony for the eMMC swap and chat in your driveway in Irvine. :)
PXL_20200701_232816529.jpg
Since I was sitting at home for +3 months...might as well sit alone driving for 12 hours and 840 miles (1351 km) to/from Irvine, CA.

I just wish Tesla offered a warranty+cash upgrade to MCU2 program.
They will, once your car is eligible, of course. The price will be the same for ESA as it is for people with the 4 year warranty still in effect. -> $2,500 :p

On a serious note though, for them to offer "warranty discount upgrade" price would be very impractical, and likely affect their bottom line, as it would encourage people to find creative ways to accelerate the demise of their MCU1's in order to get a discount on an upgrade. They might discount the MCU2 upgrade though, once the round of customers willing to pay $2,500 dries up. Remember that the primary reason for MCU2 upgrade is for original EAP customers to pay for their own hardware upgrade, so that Tesla doesn't have to pay that bill. The more customers upgrade, the less Tesla has to worry about supporting original EAP on MCU1, and the less unhappy customers left with original EAP and MCU1 that could start stirring up trouble complaining they don't get all the EAP features, even though they pre-paid for EAP so long ago. MCU2 as an option for MCU1 failure is a secondary reason, in case Tesla runs out of refurbed MCU1's. This is why MCU2 upgrade didn't show up unitl original-EAP features diverged between MCU1 and MCU2.

PS> Notice I am not even taliking FSD, that's because when MCU1 was sold, FSD was defined as Level 4/5 autonomous driving feature, which more than likely is never coming. Current definition FSD features are included for anyone with MCU1 who paid for EAP.

Last edited:

Ditto - Got me today! Just completed a 1K trip. First noticed blank screen on morning startup, now today unresponsive MCU, then completely blank. MCU rebooted eventually, but nav blanked out and rebooted several times during a short drive. Not totally unsurprised since others have noted problems appeared around the 2-year mark. I'm at 2.3 years, 21K mls.

They will, once your car is eligible, of course. The price will be the same for ESA as it is for people with the 4 year warranty still in effect. -> $2,500 :p

On a serious note though, for them to offer "warranty discount upgrade" price would be very impractical, and likely affect their bottom line, as it would encourage people to find creative ways to accelerate the demise of their MCU1's in order to get a discount on an upgrade. They might discount the MCU2 upgrade though, once the round of customers willing to pay $2,500 dries up. Remember that the primary reason for MCU2 upgrade is for original EAP customers to pay for their own hardware upgrade, so that Tesla doesn't have to pay that bill. The more customers upgrade, the less Tesla has to worry about supporting original EAP on MCU1, and the less unhappy customers left with original EAP and MCU1 that could start stirring up trouble complaining they don't get all the EAP features, even though they pre-paid for EAP so long ago. MCU2 as an option for MCU1 failure is a secondary reason, in case Tesla runs out of refurbed MCU1's. This is why MCU2 upgrade didn't show up unitl original-EAP features diverged between MCU1 and MCU2.

PS> Notice I am not even taliking FSD, that's because when MCU1 was sold, FSD was defined as Level 4/5 autonomous driving feature, which more than likely is never coming. Current definition FSD features are included for anyone with MCU1 who paid for EAP.

what features specifically? I am one of the ones that purchased EAP and has an mcu1, and while I remember them promising lots of things that haven’t materialized I can’t think of anything specific like you mention...

• Love
Reactions: bhzmark
Not good news... very disappointed in Tesla. More detailed information from Electrek.

Tesla updates ridiculous warranty on problematic media unit and touchscreen - Electrek
For those Tesla owners that are going to report Tesla to the NHTSA for its MCU-touchscreen eMMC failure, they should add that Tesla just changed the warranty on the MCU and Touch Screen to 2 years instead of 4 years. This adds information that Tesla knew that they were having eMMC problems and have changed the warranty to reduce their exposure of additional warranty costs.

For those Tesla owners that are going to report Tesla to the NHTSA for its MCU-touchscreen eMMC failure, they should add that Tesla just changed the warranty on the MCU and Touch Screen to 2 years instead of 4 years. This adds information that Tesla knew that they were having eMMC problems and have changed the warranty to reduce their exposure of additional warranty costs.

Will do! NHTSA needs to hear about this from Tesla owners.