Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with @Solarman004 reference the trade in. You likely don't know about a recent change. Those MCU1 re-manufactured after early May contain a different quality and size eMMC than before. Now its larger and formatted for 32 GB. Its expected to last more than 10 years vice the previous 4-5 years worser case. So, if you fix it, you are not passing a car with the same eMMC life expectancy as before. Just make sure (I guess by waiting for exhausted supply of pre-May) unit and get a more recent one.
Then why did Tesla just reduce the warranty on those re-manufactured units from 4 years to 2 years, if the expected life is 10? :confused:

I chatted with Tesla Service via text today and got some weird answers to my questions.

They confirmed from their logs that it's likely the emmc failure. No surprise there. They rescheduled me from mobile service to a SC appointment next month due to backorder. No surprise there, either.

Here's where things got a little more interesting. FYI: "Sole owners" by me was supposed to be "some owners."

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 9.41.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 9.43.33 AM.png

I chatted with Tesla Service via text today and got some weird answers to my questions.

They confirmed from their logs that it's likely the emmc failure. No surprise there. They rescheduled me from mobile service to a SC appointment next month due to backorder. No surprise there, either.

Here's where things got a little more interesting. FYI: "Sole owners" by me was supposed to be "some owners."

View attachment 565213
View attachment 565215
Well that’s a confusing conversation. AFAIK we have never seen a 16 or 32 gig from Tesla. We keep hearing rumors of this and would love to see one.

Reactions: Akikiki
Well that’s a confusing conversation. AFAIK we have never seen a 16 or 32 gig from Tesla. We keep hearing rumors of this and would love to see one.
Confusing thanks to me, because I apparently misremembered. 16GB is what people have seen since May, not 32GB. I don't know how I got that confused, but I did get a COVID test today so let's blame that miserable experience.

If indeed they're saying it's 16GB, then the remanufactured unit seems like it's a more complete fix.

Am I wrong about the warranty as well? I thought people here said 2 years, and some had heard 4 years from their SCs.

Am I wrong about the warranty as well? I thought people here said 2 years, and some had heard 4 years from their SCs.

No you are correct about the warranty, and you can see it on Tesla's site: Vehicle Warranty

In summary:
  • Originally a non-warranty replacement MCU had a 1-year/12.5k mile warranty just like almost every other part.
  • Then Tesla upped the warranty to 4-years/unlimited miles for a non-warranty replacement MCU.
  • Then Tesla cut the warranty to where it is now: 2-years/25k miles for a non-warranty replacement MCU.

Confusing thanks to me, because I apparently misremembered. 16GB is what people have seen since May, not 32GB. I don't know how I got that confused, but I did get a COVID test today so let's blame that miserable experience.

If indeed they're saying it's 16GB, then the remanufactured unit seems like it's a more complete fix.

Warranty seems to be all over the place. The most recent reman mcu I saw was from 2019 and it had a failing 8 gig chip.

We offer a 32 gig chip, that runs in 16G endurance mode for long life.

MCU failure (7/13/20)
Model S 2015
No noticeable signs before hand. I had my 4 year old in the car over 100 degrees air temp. Along with all the lost functionality with screen black no AC making it difficult and dangerous to drive. Later after making alternative way home. I was able to get vehicle to service. I was told 1 month lead on new part and was dismissed with car was fine to drive until part was available. However, at my next destination I was unable to charge (I had scheduled charging preset before failure) and was set to 80% of battery. The vehicle was not taking charge. Display informed me charging was complete. I was just able to get to another Service center whereby a new part was at hand next day. It was same MCU1 chip $1200 installed. Only 1 year warranty on this part. After asking I was told that an MCU2 was not able to be installed on this particular vehicle. Therefore assuming same issue will occur? Does anyone know any third party installers in the Bay Area?

Warranty seems to be all over the place.
Neh, it's just Tesla. Main goal is to be profitable, so tell the customer whatever it will take to make them go away while promising as little as possible (that last part is relatively new, sales used to just tell you whatever you wanted to hear as far as coverage, until you tried to claim it). This is how a when a recent Model 3 just lost a bumper when driving (caught on dashcam too), first response from Tesla service manager was "act of God, not covered". Model 3's losing bumpers is not a new issue, so it's not like Tesla couldn't have an official policy covering them, but apparently the policy is deny coverage unless the customer is willing to fight and/or gets lots of views on social media.

This is not new Tesla strategy by the way, evidently "pay to fix only if we have to" has been the strategy since day 1, as per this article:
Deliver Now, Fix Later: Tesla's Competitive Edge Is Also Its Major Weakness
The difference is, in the past Tesla felt they had to fix more stuff, but that made them not profitable. Look at it this way, it's been working well for Tesla and Elon - just look at their stock.

• Funny
Reactions: sdoorex and Akikiki
I just experienced my Tesla MCU screen black-out.

My vehicle is a 2015 Model S at approximately 45,000 miles.
I was making a quick trip to the grocery store and upon returning to my vehicle, the MCU screen turned black. I thought it was going to take a while to load since I've been experiencing slower MCU functions ( the msg "please wait while vehicle powers up" plastered on the dashboard for the past 6+ months), but after attempting to reboot/reset, the MCU screen remained dark. The blinkers were not working, the AC unit was turned off, and I had no control over the headlights and other standard functions/adjustments. I'm starting to think that this is a pretty big issue in regards to safety because I probably would have called a tow truck if I wasn't just 5 miles away from home.

If the MCU was merely for entertainment purposes (radio/apps/seat warmer..etc), then maybe it can be brushed off as a vehicle part that is permissible to deteriorate over time/usage. Tesla's MCU1 chip, based on what I'm reading here (if the vehicle is pre-2018 and fitted with the original 8g chip) then MCU failure is inevitable - it's just a matter of time. This is concerning because they're basically selling a vehicle that is guaranteed to fail after certain limitations of time/mileage/usage. It's a pre-established vehicle part failure that applies to a large number of manufactured vehicles grouped by year-made, and follows a systematic pattern of issues and failures. I don't know how much more needs to be proven that this is in-fact a manufacturer defect that Tesla is strictly liable for... considering this is almost a textbook issue for manufacturer recalls.

Reactions: xAgyex
@Nogizaka, Maybe it has earned a manufacturer recall. But its not been ordered or volunteered. So what are you going to do in the meantime? We've heard so many times before the same thing yours is doing. Its not going to get better than it is right now. Only worse til it dies completely. What are you going to do?

Huge thank you to Tony @EV-Fixme. Our 2013 P85 started showing symptoms of impending doom. With the help of this thread and the numerous YouTube videos on dash disassembly, I was able to get the car repaired before it completely failed. When I picked up the upgraded eMMC, Tony informed me a factory reset might be in my future. After putting the car back together, it was better but still having issues. I really didn’t want to go through dealing with the GPS homelink relearning on three garage doors at two different locations after a factory reset. Fortunately a few days later, the car had a software update available. After the update, the old 2013 is better than ever.

View attachment 565213
View attachment 565215

Everyone's missing the most shocking part of your post, @ohmman --you were actually able to chat with a service tech in real time. What's your secret.
Seriously, though, I'm confused by 2 items. I thought all of the "old" chips were only 8 GB, not 16.
Second, is the technician saying that with the infotainment upgrade you would be getting an MCU-2? Is that what he\she meant by upgraded unit?

Everyone's missing the most shocking part of your post, @ohmman --you were actually able to chat with a service tech in real time. What's your secret.
Seriously, though, I'm confused by 2 items. I thought all of the "old" chips were only 8 GB, not 16.
Second, is the technician saying that with the infotainment upgrade you would be getting an MCU-2? Is that what he\she meant by upgraded unit?
haha. Well, first, I am not sure that this was a service tech. I think it probably was some central scheduling "call center" or something. And my attitude in that text exchange seems to have closed off communication, as he/she ghosted me on future messages. :oops:

Yes, the infotainment upgrade is implying MCU2. And the chip size thing is confusing, as is the warranty confusion.

haha. Well, first, I am not sure that this was a service tech. I think it probably was some central scheduling "call center" or something. And my attitude in that text exchange seems to have closed off communication, as he/she ghosted me on future messages. :oops:

Yes, the infotainment upgrade is implying MCU2. And the chip size thing is confusing, as is the warranty confusion.
My guess is they were wrong, unfortunately happens all the time. I have not seen any reports of AP1 or older cars getting MCU2. Would love to be wrong

Huge thank you to Tony @EV-Fixme. Our 2013 P85 started showing symptoms of impending doom. With the help of this thread and the numerous YouTube videos on dash disassembly, I was able to get the car repaired before it completely failed. When I picked up the upgraded eMMC, Tony informed me a factory reset might be in my future. After putting the car back together, it was better but still having issues. I really didn’t want to go through dealing with the GPS homelink relearning on three garage doors at two different locations after a factory reset. Fortunately a few days later, the car had a software update available. After the update, the old 2013 is better than ever.

Happy to be of service!