Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question for you guys doing MCU repairs. Let's say I have the MCU completely out of the car, and forget to leave a window open. The car retracted the handles to get in. How would you get in the car? "Asking for a friend"

Before anyone asks, I'm not actually repairing an MCU, just doing an audio install. Figured someone here might know how to get back in. :(

Got my 2014 MS85 AP1 back 2 days ago. Apparently I had an MCU0 which had BSOD. The SC originally stated that they would fix it under warranty with a remanufacted MCU1. Later SC offered me the MCU2 upgrade for $2500+, after I asked if it was even possible. Because I still have warranty and had no issues with MCU1 until it died, I have opted to stay with MCU1. Even cooler is I got the 3G to LTE upgrade.

On a downside, I test drove and setup the car while at the SC, and drove around the area near the SC for an hour to make sure there were no issues. But as soon as I pulled into my drive way the screen froze and glitched, then self rebooted. I scheduled another appointment to take it back in. So sad MS is having issues. I think it has to do with latest update.

Reactions: Akikiki
@sonofagunn, I agree with Mike. It appears that when people are going in with a failing MCU1/eMMC problem that they check out the screen. Yes, there's a shortage of screens. And if your screen is bad, they are not going to recommend to you to re-use your old screen. It looks to us like some people are being offered a $250 discount on the cost of the MCU1 replacement when their original screen looks good enough to re-use. If yours is bad, I think they are going to replace it, but you will not be a screen re-use discount - an I would suspect you understand why.

It's been at least 6-8 months since I saw a post that someone said they had an estimate to replace just their screen - at $1,000. If there's a hint that your MCU1/eMMC is beginning to fail, it might be a bargain to get both the MCU with screen replaced at the same time. I think the MCU with screen is $1300 plus labor and tax.

Reactions: EV-Fixme
I was quoted 1200 after labor and tax. If my screen is fine with no issues, will they give me a 250 discount (bringing the total down to 950)?
I think I would prefer getting a new screen + MCU, if it resolves the bubbling issue, which I haven't seen any yet on mine.

I have a question for you guys doing MCU repairs. Let's say I have the MCU completely out of the car, and forget to leave a window open. The car retracted the handles to get in. How would you get in the car? "Asking for a friend"

Before anyone asks, I'm not actually repairing an MCU, just doing an audio install. Figured someone here might know how to get back in. :(

Your friend would need to remove the nose cone and jump start the car. The 12V battery typically runs down in a few hours.

Here is the part of the invoice for my MCU0 to MCU1 fix covered under warranty. Seems like they didn't replace my actual screen.

lS84uzA.png

Just another satisfied customer of Tony and EVFixMe. My '15 85D was acting as if it was on its last leg, so I shipped it off to Tony. He texted when he received it (which was nice) and turned it around in only a few days. My only issue wasn't with him but USPS. Because of the pandemic, they are slow. I paid for overnight shipping to get it to him, it took an extra day. Coming back it took almost a week to get here.

All in all, the tear down wasn't too bad (I've torn the dash down before to replace the amp, and I'd say this was easier). Taking apart the MCU is a little nerve wracking but not too bad. I got my chip back yesterday put it back in and after a few nervous moments waiting for it to boot up...it came up just fine, like nothing was different at all. Settings all there, even back on the same TuneIn screen I was on before.

Thanks Tony!

Tony and EVFixMe team been helping out us folks here TX. 2015 S85 MCU screen just went black with no major symptoms beforehand. AC refused to turn off even after leaving the car parked for over an hour so have to disconnect the 12v battery. Sent chip Monday and got it back following Monday. Also got hooked up with Chad at Reel Deal to replace a bubbling IC. After plugging everything back together:

1. Please double check the IC display to PCB ribbon. I made a mistake of connecting the other way around not paying attention to the ribbon tags. Display tag to LCD and PCB tag plugged to the board.
2. Like what Tony would warn you. The MCU will boot up 2 to 3 times the first time you power it up and the screen might stay black on those reboots so please be patient, grab a drink or do something else then just come back with the screen back on.
3. Only screw everything back together when you verify that everything is working, MCU, AC, turn signals, reverse camera, hazard and glove box buttons, all windows including sunroof if you have it, tailgate.
4. You may also need to hard reboot everything 2-3 times after a few days to clear out some bugs.

This is a good time to vinyl wrap your trim if you want a newish interior look!

I love working on cars and this was satisfying! Learned a few more about my S. Easiest car to take apart and put back together.

I chose to stay with MCU1 and 3G as the upgrade is not worth it to me. I daily drive this 150 miles round trip and the area I drive have a lot of 3G spots.

DM me if you are around my area and need help!

I have all the soldering tool. Is there a video on the actual emmc chip removal and installation?

What software to clone the chip?

There is a separate thread, also listed in the top page for people who want to attempt the entire process themselves. Make sure you dont loose your cert in the process, if you do you will likely need to buy a new MCU from tesla to get a replacement, unless you dont car for the cert.