Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like an odd restriction. Of all the options the cars had, why would the lack of a powered liftgate make the MCU different? i could understand if there were a different version if the car had the enhanced audio (bigger amplifier and more functions), or air suspension (several additional controls and different displays) or maybe even whether or not it had the older vs newer version of Tire Pressure Monitoring or parking sensors. But a liftgate? The MCU evidently has the logic and the electrical connections for the powered one, but the lack of a powered one must somehow require something physically different, like a wiring harness. Just seems odd!

My buddy who has an AP1 car and was unable to get the SC to order an MCU2 upgrade for him, despite supplying the part #'s other SC's had been using to do the same also has manual lift gate. He seems to think it may be a wiring harness issue as well...

Already done on the tape. I did that before removal. It's a good tip .
I looked at ohmmu but decided not to go with the Li-ion due to price. On Amazon there were also mixed reviews about the battery not fitting in the MX battery pan. Tesla price for the OEM lead-acid AGM battery is only $165 plus tax.
A quick note: I had a Tesla service center tell me they could not sell me the 12v AGM battery because they had changed the battery supplier/model and the car needed a corresponding FW update to add the charging profile for the new battery type.

They really need to provide some end-user accessible tools for stuff like this...

• Love
Reactions: ohmman and GSP
I dropped off my 2015 S85D this morning for out of warranty repair(107k miles) of a dead touchscreen. Shortly after I made the appointment last Friday I got a text showing they had ordered the Tegra daughterboard. No indication as of when that part will be available or the cost. I have a loaner and am waiting to hear back from the SC. Of course, the screen failed when I was driving to our lake home last Thursday evening so the last 100 miles of our drive was without any HVAC, radio, or anything else controlled by the touchscreen. I drove it back this morning the 139 miles but at least the weather was much cooler.

And it seems we have a price now: $120 parts + $370 diag/labor = $490 total.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service here in Reno and they tell me they are now replacing the Tegra card and that my total in parts and labor for repair of the MCU1 is $490. I glanced at the estimate and it looks like the Tegra card is $120 part and the rest is labor and diagnostic fee.

That seems way more reasonable. Now if they can just have plenty of them available at every service center. (Disadvantage is you probably don't get the 3G to LTE upgrade included.)

Here's my story. 3ish weeks ago, touch screen went dead (2015 85D, out of all warranties, 80K miles). I knew nothing about this problem until coming to TMC to learn. My A\C would not shut off, so I pulled the MCU fuse and that did the trick. I scheduled an appt with Tesla (hate the app\sms process). Dropped it off Friday and picked it up today (Monday). They did a manual update of the firmware which got me back up and running. The service manager told me everything is good and that I wont need an MCU replacement any time soon. That said, I just got my service invoice and it says differently (image below). They didn't charge me though for the work.

upload_2020-8-10_19-41-38.png
upload_2020-8-10_19-41-38.png

No info, sorry. This is an extended warranty service with $200 deductible.

I am hoping Tesla is gearing up to build a batch of new replacement daughterboards with more robust eMMC chips. Who knows, but in the meantime I can hope.

GSP
Did they send you an invoice/order to approve? If so, what are the part numbers listed and/or prices? If not, once they do the upgrade, please share the part number and any prices the invoice might show.

The real question is the $490 version still going to die like all mcu1 or is it truly a new design meant to last
I would not call a different eMMC chip a design change. I would predict it last more than twice longer than the original. Let's be clear in our descriptions for those new folks that read.

The MCU1 seldom dies. Its the eMMC, embedded Multi-Media Card (just like, but different) from those used in cell phones or cameras or laptops. So even when the MCU so called dies, its the eMMC on the Tegra daughter board that has failed. It seldom is completely dead. Nearly all the time the eMMC can be read from and the critical files saved and reused when 3rd party fixers fix the car. Other times, Tesla just swaps out the MCU with a fresh eMMC mounted on the same Tegra board in the MCU. Tesla usually just downloads the more critical files (Security Certificates) and fresh firmware. Of course both way, both groups try to recover the driver profiles settings.

Replacing only the Tegra board shifts the MCU repair paradigm a lot. Not just price.

Swapping the Tegra board is more labor intensive than just the MCU. Stop and consider. Either way, the MCU has to be removed. With the Tegra swap, the MCU screen has to be removed, the Tegra board swapped, and even though while inside the MCU, they are not swapping and programming a new SIM for the Comm board (not upgrading it to LTE). So of the 53,000+ S's build and delivered with 3G that have not already been upgraded will still need the LTE upgrade before Dec '21.

May save on the rest of the rest of the MCU, -re-using the owner's MCU cage, system board, screen, but the labor will be higher than just the MCU swap and the loss or extra/separate charge for LTE upgrade may or may not be included/paid for by owner.

So total difference in full cost of equal between MCU replacement and Tegra Board/LTE Board/new SIM + extra labor is still unknown.

Last edited:
I’ll have to see one of the new boards to know more. $150 is ultra cheap. I’m guessing it could be done with their scale. When you buy 300k boards it can be possible.
We can’t even get down to a price like that at cost.

also they are not likely swapping eMMC. I would imagine they just bought 300k tegra boards for all the old cars and start shipping them to the service centers.

I’ll have to see one of the new boards to know more. $150 is ultra cheap. I’m guessing it could be done with their scale. When you buy 300k boards it can be possible.
We can’t even get down to a price like that at cost.

also they are not likely swapping eMMC. I would imagine they just bought 300k tegra boards for all the old cars and start shipping them to the service centers.
I think that's about the right going price. Newer versions of similar board go for about that much in single quantities:
Jetson Nano Dev Kit - $99
Jetson Nano Module - $149
Why it took Tesla so long to finally offer this as a replacement part is big question, the only answer I can think of is they didn't think they "had to" until NHTSA investigation and media coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaserr
I just got an update for my August 19th service; they have ordered the reman MCU. I contacted them through the app and left a message saying I'd prefer the replacement daughterboard instead. There is no great way to contact Service, honestly. I'll try calling tomorrow to verify.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Color me an idiot. But would those boards work in mcu1
No, 2 main reasons:
  1. Tesla changed the standard connector to make sure non-Tesla boards like that would not work - control the supply and make sure people don't "enhance" their cars causing support problems.
  2. You would need to rewrite their software to support the new SoC chip - add new OS, drivers, etc.
There may be other differences on the Tesla specific version, but the two reasons above makes it a moot point.

Last edited:
I would not call a different eMMC chip a design change. I would predict it last more than twice longer than the original. Let's be clear in our descriptions for those new folks that read.

The MCU1 seldom dies. Its the eMMC, embedded Multi-Media Card (just like, but different) from those used in cell phones or cameras or laptops. So even when the MCU so called dies, its the eMMC on the Tegra daughter board that has failed. It seldom is completely dead. Nearly all the time the eMMC can be read from and the critical files saved and reused when 3rd party fixers fix the car. Other times, Tesla just swaps out the MCU with a fresh eMMC mounted on the same Tegra board in the MCU. Tesla usually just downloads the more critical files (Security Certificates) and fresh firmware. Of course both way, both groups try to recover the driver profiles settings.

Replacing only the Tegra board shifts the MCU repair paradigm a lot. Not just price.

Swapping the Tegra board is more labor intensive than just the MCU. Stop and consider. Either way, the MCU has to be removed. With the Tegra swap, the MCU screen has to be removed, the Tegra board swapped, and even though while inside the MCU, they are not swapping and programming a new SIM for the Comm board (not upgrading it to LTE). So of the 53,000+ S's build and delivered with 3G that have not already been upgraded will still need the LTE upgrade before Dec '21.

May save on the rest of the rest of the MCU, -re-using the owner's MCU cage, system board, screen, but the labor will be higher than just the MCU swap and the loss or extra/separate charge for LTE upgrade may or may not be included/paid for by owner.

So total difference in full cost of equal between MCU replacement and Tegra Board/LTE Board/new SIM + extra labor is still unknown.

I've opened up my MCU twice (once to swap the Tegra module, and once to gain access to the USB diag port). After just those instances I bet I could swap a Tegra module in 20 minutes. A seasoned tech can probably do it in 10.

That's not to say the standard estimate won't be another 30-60 mins of labor... but it shouldn't be much.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I think that's about the right going price. Newer versions of similar board go for about that much in single quantities:
Jetson Nano Dev Kit - $99
Jetson Nano Module - $149
Why it took Tesla so long to finally offer this as a replacement part is big question, the only answer I can think of is they didn't think they "had to" until NHTSA investigation and media coverage.

Cheap relative to a custom board. Nano is probably made in higher quantities. Cheap relative what it cost for us to fix them.
But not surprised they can offer it.