Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question: 2014 P85D. We have been offered the remanufactured Daughter board per the recall or the upgrade at out expense (discounted) but were informed we would also have to purchase the Tuner to retain FM radio functions.

Are most just taking the free daughter board or are you making a stink and fighting for the upgrade? Is everyone paying or is tesla giving to anyone?

Thanks

the remanufactured daughter card does NOT require the purchase of a new FM tuner.

Has anyone gotten the MCU2 under warranty?

The refurb daughter board is in Teslas own admission not a fix 100% of the time. If the car is under warranty then why would you pay for the repair ? If the MCU2 is the true "fix" it should be covered under warranty, regardless if it includes additional benefits above and beyond the MCU1.

I have no issues paying for new tech, I do have issues with being asked to pay to fix a car under warranty, and then pay more money to retain features the car came with (fm tuner) ......under warranty.

Is your car under warranty? If it didn't fix it, they should fix it for free, not at a discount.

I can see @brkaus, answered this. Good answer. But I too can answer it. I tracked MCU1/eMMC failures and repairs from the TM and TMC forums for 15 months. I collected details on more than 550 instances of reported failures/repairs. I have ready honestly thousands of posts (many of the counted were more than one read). The answer to your question "has anyone gotten the MCU2 under warranty?" Yes, but it was MCU2 failed. I can recall that the number of failed MCU2 that people have reported (operative word - reported) number three as I recall. Trick answer to your honest question. Of the people/owners that have reported on TM and TMC, there's no one the - that I recall and trust me, I would have remembered) that got MCU2 for free because of a MCU1 warranty issue. Reported. Maybe Tesla insisted the owner not talk about it - that's a possibility. You want to read some more about this issue? MCU1 Flash Memory Analysis and Failures – TeslaTap

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks

FYI I was referring to Tesla. I had multiple Tesla service reps indicate that the daughter board was not a fix 100% of the time.
This is insane. A new daughter board installed correctly fixes EMMC issue 100% of time. Because it replaces the EMMC! So if MCU problems continue after daughter board replacement, then the root cause is not EMMC.

I can tell you as owner of an S since 2012 and 3s since 18 that I’ve had occasional black screens, boot issues, etc. both before EMMC failure, and after EMMC repair.

EMMC has incorrectly become shorthand for all MCU issues... whether chronic or not. Whether truly problematic, or merely annoying.

as a community, it would behoove us to be more articulate... including service techs.

I don't think you can compare a computer or a cell phone to a car. People change cell phone/computer every few years, but cars use to last much longer. My car has the MCU1, and it satisfies all my needs.

Well said. Also, I have never asked or expected my laptop or phone to safely transport my family on public roads for 5-10 years.

In the simplest terms I bought a car with a warranty, it should perform to the spec purchased until termination of said warranty.

If the daughter board repair does not "fix" the problem or return the car to original spec than the MCU2 should be the fix, regardless if it adds additional features / performance. I too am fine with the experience of the MCU1 (when it was working) If Tesla had said the refurb board would return the car to as purchased spec and eliminate all the issues we were experiencing I wouldn't be here discussing it. However they said otherwise. Likewise if the car was out of warranty, the problem would then be mine to remedy at my expense.

This is insane. A new daughter board installed correctly fixes EMMC issue 100% of time. Because it replaces the EMMC! So if MCU problems continue after daughter board replacement, then the root cause is not EMMC.

I can tell you as owner of an S since 2012 and 3s since 18 that I’ve had occasional black screens, boot issues, etc. both before EMMC failure, and after EMMC repair.

EMMC has incorrectly become shorthand for all MCU issues... whether chronic or not. Whether truly problematic, or merely annoying.

as a community, it would behoove us to be more articulate... including service techs.

I don't know about insane...... Put the recall aside and think of this simply as a warranty claim for a car with multiple problems.

I was told that the daughterboard refurb would not reliably correct all the issues we we experiencing but the upgrade most likely would. The car is under warranty. Which one would you expect them to cover / proceed with if their goal was to fox the car under warranty?

if this was just me arguing semantics about upgrade vs warranty all previous points have merit, but its not, its a warranty issue, not a recall one for me.

Well said. Also, I have never asked or expected my laptop or phone to safely transport my family on public roads for 5-10 years.

In the simplest terms I bought a car with a warranty, it should perform to the spec purchased until termination of said warranty.

If the daughter board repair does not "fix" the problem or return the car to original spec than the MCU2 should be the fix, regardless if it adds additional features / performance. I too am fine with the experience of the MCU1 (when it was working) If Tesla had said the refurb board would return the car to as purchased spec and eliminate all the issues we were experiencing I wouldn't be here discussing it. However they said otherwise. Likewise if the car was out of warranty, the problem would then be mine to remedy at my expense.

Cars from other manufacturers last more than 5-10 years doing the job reliably, and without changing the computer. If you suspect there is a problem with your MCU1 (apart from the daughterboard) I think it should be replaced under warranty... by another MCU1. The MCU2 is another thing.

I also want to get a MCU2 for free, but recalling all the unfair things Tesla did (and still does), I don't thing this is one of them.

Cars from other manufacturers last more than 5-10 years doing the job reliably, and without changing the computer. If you suspect there is a problem with your MCU1 (apart from the daughterboard) I think it should be replaced under warranty... by another MCU1. The MCU2 is another thing.

I also want to get a MCU2 for free, but recalling all the unfair things Tesla did (and still does), I don't thing this is one of them.
My old Audi kept inviting me to buy $400/year new maps for it's pathetic nav system. Yes, it worked as well as it ever did but never very well.

That's more about policy than about a problem with the computer. If the nav system is like that, it was pathetic from day one, it never became worse.
Some people here are very adamant that the Tesla MCU1 performance has deteriorated due to software upgrades. I haven't noticed any degradation. The browser has always been slow and limited. Nav and music have always worked fine.

Reactions: M0rpH3x
Some people here are very adamant that the Tesla MCU1 performance has deteriorated due to software upgrades. I haven't noticed any degradation. The browser has always been slow and limited. Nav and music have always worked fine.

My browser with qTesla Waze worked 100% of the time 2016-2018. Literally every day of my commute. Now it never lasts more than a couple days after the last scroll wheel reset, if at all. Horrible loss of functionality, because if you've used that page before you know how great it was to drive with.

Reactions: sdoorex
My browser with qTesla Waze worked 100% of the time 2016-2018. Literally every day of my commute. Now it never lasts more than a couple days after the last scroll wheel reset, if at all. Horrible loss of functionality, because if you've used that page before you know how great it was to drive with.
The Teslawaze situation is complicated by the necessity of changing the base maps.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Explain? It's not that site in particular that stopped working. The whole browser turns blank no matter which page you try to visit. During the 1-2 days it is working before needing another reset, it works great.
Eric had to rewrite the code to stop using Google maps because Google started charging for use of the maps. He had to move to another map source (?Mapbox) which required a large rewrite of the code and it never quite worked as well after that. It worked before the change in maps (mostly, with slowness and a few glitches and necessary reboots).

Question: Does anyone know where GPS functions reside? Is there a GPS board/chips/antenna built into MCU1, or are those external components?

I ask because Tesla Service recently replaced my MCU1 with a "new" (reconditioned) MCU1. Since then, I have a new issue... my GPS guidance is totally wacked out. Shows me skating over waterways, fields and wrong roads while I'm simply driving straight down the highway. Service already has me booked for a follow-up appointment and I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it. But my first guess is that the MCU ( # 1098010-90-B) contains faulty GPS components.

Thoughts?

Question: Does anyone know where GPS functions reside? Is there a GPS board/chips/antenna built into MCU1, or are those external components?

I ask because Tesla Service recently replaced my MCU1 with a "new" (reconditioned) MCU1. Since then, I have a new issue... my GPS guidance is totally wacked out. Shows me skating over waterways, fields and wrong roads while I'm simply driving straight down the highway. Service already has me booked for a follow-up appointment and I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it. But my first guess is that the MCU ( # 1098010-90-B) contains faulty GPS components.

Thoughts?
I would say that's the UBLOX box, also responsible for LTE connectivity. I think it's inside the MCU1, and most likely you got a new one with the new MCU. P/N is 1054968-01-B, but it's a restricted part. Hopefully they'll fix it for free.

Eric had to rewrite the code to stop using Google maps because Google started charging for use of the maps. He had to move to another map source (?Mapbox) which required a large rewrite of the code and it never quite worked as well after that. It worked before the change in maps (mostly, with slowness and a few glitches and necessary reboots).

I see. Well as I said I'm referring to the browser being completely broken (frozen white from top to bottom) without the ability to go to any site. The new re-written teslawaze works just fine for me, IF my browser is working directly after a scroll wheel reset.