Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
They did a remote diagnosis of my car, and told me that they noted the eMMC in my system had been replaced with an aftermarket component and the configurations modified from factory settings. They claim there were no logs available since the beginning of this year (I had Tony repair my board last summer) and would need to restore the vehicle to factory specs and replace the eMMC unit in order to move forward.
I'm surprised others haven't commented on this yet, but my car has been in service 3 times since my eMMC repair by Ev-Fixme and service has not mentioned a thing about it. One service appointment was removal of the MCU1 and installing the LTE from the 3G modem.

There may be some other reason why your vehicle is not logging?

tomas

Out of warranty...
Oct 22, 2012
Chicago/Montecito
Ok misunderstood warranty status. Nonetheless, $100 to make your car repairable seems a no brainer. How it relates to purported refund for 3rd party EMMC replacements is interesting to watch, but to me that has seemed more of an argument of principle than material cost.

BigNick

Disaffected Member
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Im having an issue where my door handles stopped presenting when I approached the vehicle. Its been this way for a few months now, and Ive tried all the settings/reboots/2032 button cell swap/etc one can do for this. Anyway, after months of just dealing with it, I decided to schedule an appointment.

They did a remote diagnosis of my car, and told me that they noted the eMMC in my system had been replaced with an aftermarket component and the configurations modified from factory settings. They claim there were no logs available since the beginning of this year (I had Tony repair my board last summer) and would need to restore the vehicle to factory specs and replace the eMMC unit in order to move forward.

They initially were trying to then sell me on a MCU2 upgrade along with the eMMC replacement to possibly fix the issue with the door handles. Ive already been denied the recall reimbursement like so many others on here, and this just sort of added insult to injury to possibly have to pay for the repair twice.

They finally agreed to do the daughterboard replacement under the recall and restore the car to "factory specs" if I paid a $100 core charge as the original chip is missing. Anybody else having similar issues when requesting service? It feels stupid to replace a good working chip with a Tesla one just because they consider Tony's chip to be "aftermarket"
I'm pretty sure the aftermarket eMMC chips from EV-FixMe and others meet or exceed Tesla's standards and would have no impact on vehicle functionality, but it seems like Tesla wants as few hardware variations as possible?

Hence the BS of trying to sell you a $2K upgrade and a core charge of $100 for your "aftermarket" daughterboard swap.

The crappy 8GB eMMC Tesla used sure didn't cost $100 each, and those 8GB chips are just going in the recycle bin anyway.

Just more evidence Tesla doesn't want third parties to offer any sort of repairs to their vehicles, it borders on criminal (and in some jurisdictions with right-to-repair laws, might actually be illegal.) But it's just a symptom of a larger problem in general, Tesla isn't the only violator.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911

Captainsin

Feb 15, 2017
Arizona
Ok misunderstood warranty status. Nonetheless, $100 to make your car repairable seems a no brainer. How it relates to purported refund for 3rd party EMMC replacements is interesting to watch, but to me that has seemed more of an argument of principle than material cost.
Yes it’s definitely more of an argument of principle at this point. Hundred dollars is not a big deal, i’m planning on paying it.

I mainly just wanted to make a data point to the group that Tesla was able to see what they considered to be an aftermarket chip, and that they couldn’t move forward until it was removed and put back to factory status. I hadn’t seen any other mention of something like this, so I was also wondering if anybody else was having or had this issue.

Reactions: tomas

tomas

Out of warranty...
Oct 22, 2012
Chicago/Montecito
It’s truly a weird issue where I can see both sides. On one hand, an emmc chip is an emmc chip… empty, they are a commodity. But OTOH how it is installed and how the system files are loaded onto it could impact how it performs the required functions. Yes, most 3rd parties will install properly… but manufacturer has little way to know who is or isn’t competent. As computer takes over more and more functions in the modern car, I suspect this issue of right to repair car’s computer(s) will grow. Nobody’s likely to have issues with 3rd party repair of brakes and other ‘commodity’ mechanical components. But repairs to computer that require a soldering gun and a precise sequence of software loads? 21st century stuff.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC