Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine also just died. December 2015 build with 82k miles. Just sent the emmc off to Tony yesterday. Luckily I'm going on vacation, good timing besides the cold, because mine does not charge at all without the emmc board installed. Just says charge complete no matter what :(
I had the same issue. Would only charge to 21% it turns out. It seems to happen with some and not others.

• Informative
Reactions: Cavell219
Hi Mike, Thanks for the data point and we are glad you are safe. Can you confirm your report would be the following:

AP1 car looses AEB when mcu fails.

I'm tryng to gather the facts from your experience and made a few assumptions:
1 your mcu has failed (black screen)
2 your mcu is presently in your car
3 you were so close to a car that AEB would have kicked in under normal circumstances while driving 55 mph.

Hopefully SC can get you repaired quickly, if not we may be able to help you drive with restored MCU functionality sooner.
Exactly, yes. Not tailgating car, though momentarily distracted to point where I *definitely* would have had the nag and I’ve convinced myself AEB would have kicked in. I missed the other car by going beside them under severe braking.

MCU had completely failed, and this was driving on way to SC. My animated contention was htf was this not covered by breakdown service and do they accept liability. They took the car in immediately and one denied AEB was effectively disabled.
Was covered, and already fixed, under extended warranty, though Tesla should provide what is known reduced functionality, doubly so for safety features.

Thank you for everyone involved in this repair. Is it safe to assume that if you perform this fix preemptively, that you can continue using the car with zero negative side affects to features or functionality?

And that if you wait until a failure, there is a very good chance that not everything can be recovered and you could suffer long term negative side affects to features or functionality?

Reactions: Akikiki
What year is your vehicle and how many miles? Mine lasted about 5 years and about 87k. I only had the screen blacking out after driving, no other symptoms. It happened 4 times then shut off for good. Seems like everyone has a little different experience. One thing- it WILL wear out at some point- planning ahead helps!

My car is at 85k miles and 5 years 4 months since delivery.
I have a $5k service credit with Tesla but I’d rather spend $2500 of it on tires rather than an MCU replacement which may only last another 4 years.

Reactions: FlatSix911
My car is at 85k miles and 5 years 4 months since delivery.
I have a $5k service credit with Tesla but I’d rather spend $2500 of it on tires rather than an MCU replacement which may only last another 4 years.
In my opinion, replacing the eMMC chip is a much better fix, as it is permanent. The replacement MCU will certainly fail in the future, as the chip is not robust enough or large enough to handle the data logging. My car is almost exactly the same vintage as yours 12/14 build, 87k miles. Some have failed at about half those miles. I am very pleased with the fix and as stated, I also got a chance to upgrade to LTE. Not sure if really made a difference, but it was only about $100 and all the labor was already invested. Id say go for it if you are swing signs of failure. My car shut down the MCU completely, but I was able to have everything copies to the new eMMC chip.

• Informative
Reactions: dekuramen
I have a question regarding turning off scheduled charging. Why should it be turned off if one suspects the eMMC is on its way out? Is it because the vehicle won’t know what time it is or it won’t know it’s GPS location? Reason I ask is I don’t want to be stuck if mine fails.
Will it not continue to charge at home if scheduled charging was previously enabled? If a vehicle has scheduled charging at several locations do I need to drive around to each location and turn it off?
I don’t use PIN to drive so I’m not worried about that but would hate to be stuck with no charging ability.

I have a question regarding turning off scheduled charging. Why should it be turned off if one suspects the eMMC is on its way out? Is it because the vehicle won’t know what time it is or it won’t know it’s GPS location? Reason I ask is I don’t want to be stuck if mine fails.
Will it not continue to charge at home if scheduled charging was previously enabled? If a vehicle has scheduled charging at several locations do I need to drive around to each location and turn it off?
I don’t use PIN to drive so I’m not worried about that but would hate to be stuck with no charging ability.

My December 2015 S did not charge with the emmc failed although I did not try under 21%. There is a thread around that is trying to figure out why some cars will only charge up to 21%. For your question yes the vehicle trigger for delayed charging is handled by the MCU which when the emmc is failed does minimal functions.

This is educated guess since I have not experienced this issue myself and only collected info.

1. Many functions stay the way they are when MCU finally fails.
2. Time is likely unknown, however if your car fails at a scheduled location during the schedule time, guess what happens....
3. We have not been able to solve the 21% issue yet
4. Likely the "strange" issues just don't have enough data collected around it to identify the cause...

I had 'Pin to Drive' enabled, when my eMMc started failing at 22500km, 4 years 4 months, the MCU reset itself to default, no 3G access. When it totally failed, the HVAC was stuck on, I stopped it disconnecting 12 volt battery & pulling the 1st response's HV loop. To maintain HV pack charge level, I left the HV loop pulled & put 12 volt battery charger on the battery, until I needed to drive the car.

Reactions: StarLog
Thank you very much for this thread. I'll most likely have to do this in the near future. One thing I'll recommend is to have the experts and their locations in the title post. That way people can directly know and reach out to the experts nearest to them. Also, is the fee charged by all of your similar? If all are ok, it'll be helpful to put that in the FP too.

Thank you very much for this thread. I'll most likely have to do this in the near future. One thing I'll recommend is to have the experts and their locations in the title post. That way people can directly know and reach out to the experts nearest to them. Also, is the fee charged by all of your similar? If all are ok, it'll be helpful to put that in the FP too.
Yeah... had that but got locked... Think it was too commercialized..
There are differences in fees and services... I avoided that fearing lock... So far this is what seems to be allowed.

Yeah... had that but got locked... Think it was too commercialized..
There are differences in fees and services... I avoided that fearing lock... So far this is what seems to be allowed.

Understood, and makes sense for listing pricing. Thanks for ther clarification. But location based listing of the experts who can help us regular owners will be extremely helpful to everyone. I don't see how that comes under the "vendor" classification. I already see you / Tony helping people connect with local experts. Very thankful for that.

Understood, and makes sense for listing pricing. Thanks for ther clarification. But location based listing of the experts who can help us regular owners will be extremely helpful to everyone. I don't see how that comes under the "vendor" classification. I already see you / Tony helping people connect with local experts. Very thankful for that.
Anyone near Ohio?

Has anyone found a way when under waranty to get Tesla to fix/replace the MCU because of the eMMC problem? My 2016 is now always glitching on streaming typically within 15-30 minutes of each drive. Basically any spotify streaming would eventually reach a point of stuttering and then silence along with a single bar 3G and missing traffic navigation data. The only reliable audio I get now is the AM/FM radio.

This is now happening at least twice a day.

The car is still under warranty, so I don't want to do anything to risk an excuse to void the warranty. Any advice on how you got Tesla to fix your eMMC problem? How would I go about reporting this or requesting a service appointment?

Has anyone found a way when under waranty to get Tesla to fix/replace the MCU because of the eMMC problem? My 2016 is now always glitching on streaming typically within 15-30 minutes of each drive. Basically any spotify streaming would eventually reach a point of stuttering and then silence along with a single bar 3G and missing traffic navigation data. The only reliable audio I get now is the AM/FM radio.

This is now happening at least twice a day.

The car is still under warranty, so I don't want to do anything to risk an excuse to void the warranty. Any advice on how you got Tesla to fix your eMMC problem? How would I go about reporting this or requesting a service appointment?

They replace when your mcu wont boot anymore. You can stream music to help use it up.

My 2016 is now always glitching on streaming

Have you tried temporarily using a 4g MIFI hotspot and bypassing the MCU1 3g cell connection to see if that changes the behavior? I find 4g hotspot audio much more responsive. Note : my MCU1 is glitch free after 7 years and 140000 km, but I do switch to 4g hotspot wifi connection when driving in areas with poor 3g coverage.

Also, there are tricks to clean up old navigation locations which can dramatically speed up MCU1.