Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the upgraded/repaired board from @TonyT
Everything worked right at boot up, process was simple, hell taking apart the dash was fun for me as I grew up working on vehicles and every so often I miss it. I do wish that it would not of went out when it did because I wanted to do the component swap out myself but time did not allow it. I sent my board to Tony on Friday afternoon, and had it back within a week, before I was even back from my vacation. Great guy and great work!

Thanks Tony!

Couple small things:
12V cigarette adapter does NOT work without the EMMC, very interesting.
Factory reset caused my GPS to say I was in Fremont until I actually moved the vehicle, kinda funny actually.
Everything has come back to normal, app works, supercharging etc.
Price compared to tesla quote for new MCU was over 2k less, there was a slight wait on refurb but they weren't cheap enough to justify going refurb.

I had great service with @TonyT as well. The process is initially scary, but overall not to bad. I was lucky enough to be able to leave the car in the garage while waiting for the repair. When we decided to buy Tesla, we kept our 4 Runner for the boat and a spare vehicle if/when the Tesla’s were getting work done (sorry Elon- not quite there yet!)

Reactions: Cavell219
can someone answer this question.
I know the MCU2 is more resilient then the MCU1, however can these games we are getting somehow degrade that eMMC off our unit faster?

Especially with the new game release, im sure it will generate save game files.
Are these save game files constantly saved to use up wear cycles?

I would think Elon isnt purposely setting out MCU's to fail faster by sideballing us with games like stardew valley which have autosaves that write most likely every 10-15 min in a 2kb file.

I know the MCU2 is more resilient then the MCU1, however can these games we are getting somehow degrade that eMMC off our unit faster?

I would think Elon isnt purposely setting out MCU's to fail faster by sideballing us with games like stardew valley which have autosaves that write most likely every 10-15 min in a 2kb file.

MCU2 has a much larger 64 gig emmc. So there is much more room to wear. We have not looked into mcu2 much yet, however I believe it will log the same way and should be much better in current firmware and going forward. I dont think Elon is specifically trying to make them fail. The save writes you mentioned dont sound that huge, music caches much more. What would be more interesting is how video caches... People like smooth video playback, well guess what... Video is very high data transfer rate!

I would look at this the same way. ALL eMMC's have a finite amount of writes available. All eMMC's will fail once used up. Also I would like to believe we will have a process to "upgrade" those once they start failing. ;)

My recommendation... iPad's and Android tablets are relativity cheap. They are easily replaceable. MCU's help me drive my car. iPad's and Android tablets are great for entertainment.

We do know the mcu2 has a much larger
Could anyone with a failed MCU test their max charge level (if previously set to 100%) as well as their performance?

Since my MCU died I swear my car will actually charge to 100% instead of my old max of 95%

I think my car is faster too.

Are the battery limits introduced last year managed by the MCU?

We believe most of the limits are actually coded into the component firmwares. However we have found some limitations performed by the mcu firmware as I have also noticed a similar issue on one of the cars we have worked on.

Reactions: supratachophobia
I don’t charge to 100% very often, but I am traveling this weekend and will probably do so. I never had an issue before, but I’ll let you know how it goes. I could not get over 98%at the supercharger, but not sure if that had anything to do with the car..

We do know the mcu2 has a much larger

We believe most of the limits are actually coded into the component firmwares. However we have found some limitations performed by the mcu firmware as I have also noticed a similar issue on one of the cars we have worked on.

What limitations are you speaking of?

Performance/charging limitations or feature limitations?

@EV-Fixme Generally speaking, approximately how old and what mileage are you seeing the eMMC chip failing?

I'm just curious so that I have some idea of when to expect this. I hope my car is still under warranty when it occurs (I have another 40K miles or 3.5 years left on my warranty - bought it used directly from Tesla in June 2019 and got the standard extended warranty 50K miles / 4 years).

Thanks.

@EV-Fixme Generally speaking, approximately how old and what mileage are you seeing the eMMC chip failing?

I'm just curious so that I have some idea of when to expect this. I hope my car is still under warranty when it occurs (I have another 40K miles or 3.5 years left on my warranty - bought it used directly from Tesla in June 2019 and got the standard extended warranty 50K miles / 4 years).

Thanks.

We've seen a couple 2017 cars fail, a few 2016. Most are 2012-14. I would generally say 2-7 years.

Thanks.
Mine. December 2015 S. 81k miles.

We've seen a couple 2017 cars fail, a few 2016. Most are 2012-14. I would generally say 2-7 years.
Do you have any stats on whether or not streaming could be a contributing factor? We have a couple cars which only stream music but in my daily driver, I only use the radio unless I'm on a long road trip. I wonder if all the caching that is done for streaming could cause those "streaming-only" cars to have problems sooner.

I assume my car is approaching this failure based on the original post with symptoms.

I came back from a work trip and after not driving the car for 3ish weeks none of the streaming options nor the USB playback would load (spin, loading error, skip, spin, loading error). MCU crashes have increased over time, but not to the level some in this thread are reporting. 3G will forget that it is a thing sometimes, but also infrequently.

Standard battery of reboots and power off attempts didn't fix anything but my car is March 2015 vintage at just above 84k miles. I initially only used USB playback for music but then when they broke random I switched to Slacker and have been relying on that ever since (see the Comprehensive USB Bug List thread for timing on that if you have a spare weekend). I'm out of warranty and just out of the Extended Service Agreement so it'll either be out of pocket to fix this via Tesla or paying one of you fine people to assist in fixing things. Already pulled my door apart to repair the extending door handle (which failed immediately after the ESA expired :rolleyes: ) so it might be fun to dig into another part of the vehicle.

This is my only car though, so depending on if Tesla doles out Loaners (or even rentals) to out of warranty repair customers I might have to figure out what option works best for me.

Reactions: IdaX
Do you have any stats on whether or not streaming could be a contributing factor? We have a couple cars which only stream music but in my daily driver, I only use the radio unless I'm on a long road trip. I wonder if all the caching that is done for streaming could cause those "streaming-only" cars to have problems sooner.

We think streaming does wear more. I've often seen a lot of cached files in spotify and slacker folders. So it does add to the use.

I assume my car is approaching this failure based on the original post with symptoms.

I came back from a work trip and after not driving the car for 3ish weeks none of the streaming options nor the USB playback would load (spin, loading error, skip, spin, loading error). MCU crashes have increased over time, but not to the level some in this thread are reporting. 3G will forget that it is a thing sometimes, but also infrequently.

Standard battery of reboots and power off attempts didn't fix anything but my car is March 2015 vintage at just above 84k miles. I initially only used USB playback for music but then when they broke random I switched to Slacker and have been relying on that ever since (see the Comprehensive USB Bug List thread for timing on that if you have a spare weekend). I'm out of warranty and just out of the Extended Service Agreement so it'll either be out of pocket to fix this via Tesla or paying one of you fine people to assist in fixing things. Already pulled my door apart to repair the extending door handle (which failed immediately after the ESA expired :rolleyes: ) so it might be fun to dig into another part of the vehicle.

This is my only car though, so depending on if Tesla doles out Loaners (or even rentals) to out of warranty repair customers I might have to figure out what option works best for me.

We are here to help you once you decide.

• Love
Reactions: kevinf311