Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"wacky" , um , it's pretty standard to use "Wear leveling techniques", see below for an example of a recommendation to OEM's:

Flash Wear Management in Android Automotive
Actually doesn’t call out what wear leveling techniques to use, so useful info for general don’t do stupid, though the heuristics used for wear- leveling is what I’m calling out.

Whacky-leveling technique as in moving stable, static, data to high wear level areas to enable the higher frequency writes to be written back to lower write tagged areas. The more usual wear leveling techniques is prioritizing choice of available blocks. I don’t know which heuristics are being used.

Edit: this has more info:
https://www.micron.com/-/media/clie...note/nand-flash/tn2942_nand_wear_leveling.pdf

Notably a lot depends on the available blocks. Moving data from low-wear level would require a level of software which may happen in the controller (italicized text)
Depending on the wear-leveling method used, the controller typically either writes to the available erased block with the lowest erase count (dynamic wear leveling); or it selects an available target block with the lowest overall erase count, erases the block if necessary, writes new data to the block, and ensures that blocks of static data are moved when their block erase count is below a certain threshold (static wear leveling).
Net: it depends. If we knew the controller we could dig more, though is not beneficial as the damage was done through poor logging choices and exacerbated by the small physical nand size and wear count mtbf

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveBC
Just picked my car up from @TonyT for the MCU repair. It’s such an improvement. I’ve never seen the LTE reception at 5/5 bars before this. Streaming is so much better now—songs will load even with poor reception. The screen is super responsive. He also noticed my bubbling IC and offered to replace it at a reasonable cost. That alone is a night and day difference.
Added bonus: the red line across the main screen that I’ve posted about previously is now gone. So it must have been caused by a loose connection somewhere.
Tony worked with us on coordinating the repairs with my family’s Disneyland visits (Disney is 20 minutes away from his place). He made it very convenient and now I don’t have to constantly worry about the MCU completely failing. I’ll be turning scheduled charging back on. Great overall experience. Highly recommended.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if i can dissassemble a 4g modem from a donor car and swap out my 3g modem with it? Would the sim from the donor car work at all in mine?

The hardware should work, not sure about SIM. In any case, the whole kit goes for $109 (SIM is just $18 out of it) new directly from Tesla. Unless it is drastically cheaper, you can look into getting it from them. There's another thread for LTE upgrade where I and others have posted the part numbers. Feel free to take a look. On cellphone, so unable to post it here easily.

• Informative
Reactions: DeadLock and Slexs
Just picked my car up from @TonyT for the MCU repair. It’s such an improvement. I’ve never seen the LTE reception at 5/5 bars before this. Streaming is so much better now—songs will load even with poor reception. The screen is super responsive. He also noticed my bubbling IC and offered to replace it at a reasonable cost. That alone is a night and day difference.
Added bonus: the red line across the main screen that I’ve posted about previously is now gone. So it must have been caused by a loose connection somewhere.
Tony worked with us on coordinating the repairs with my family’s Disneyland visits (Disney is 20 minutes away from his place). He made it very convenient and now I don’t have to constantly worry about the MCU completely failing. I’ll be turning scheduled charging back on. Great overall experience. Highly recommended.

Thank you, pleasure to help. Finally! Someone went to Disney and got their MCU fixed :D

I got my eMMC replacement back from TonyT last Saturday. It booted up normally with all of my settings and with connectivity back to Tesla intact, but is quite a bit faster than before. Now, the web browser works again and the fireplace/romance app displays a fire where it was just a black screen before. Music now plays smoothly instead of skipping periodically. I'm very happy with TonyT's service and highly recommend him if you're thinking about doing this.

Also, taking apart the dash to remove the MCU isn't that difficult. Send me a PM if you need pointers.

View attachment 507532
So, Tony brought the romance back into your life? :p

Just had my MCU replaced - went out last week luckily since my warranty is up on 2/14!

One thing I haven't seen discussed that I'd like to throw out there - for those of us with current units or who had them replaced by the Service Center - we're still at the mercy of 8 Gig cards. Has anyone found a way to get all of this data logging to redirect to a USB stick? I'd happily give up one of my two USB ports if I could just burn up a *removable* usb stick vs. the onboard eMMC. I'm fairly linux proficient but haven't dabbled with the MCU system at all - but those that have may have found a way to modify the fstab settings to mount the /var/log folder to an external drive?

Just thinking out loud and curious on thoughts since I hadn't seen this mentioned in the thread :cool:

Nope, no HVAC controls without the MCU. Even the windows didn't work without the MCU and AC charging is limited to 488W (2A, 244V). I put a battery tender on the posts behind the cone, plugged the MCU back in without the screen, and parked it for a week. Periodically, I would check to see what the SOC was, in case I needed to plug in again. In the week it was parked, I only lost 6% SOC.
My windows worked fine without the MCU. But yes no HVAC, autopilot, nav etc. Also no 12V from the cigarette lighter which was weird.

My windows worked fine without the MCU. But yes no HVAC, autopilot, nav etc. Also no 12V from the cigarette lighter which was weird.

That 12V is mcu controlled I think. @olsch01 that is 1 way to help, however that requires you to start modifying things. This offering is stock so does not change anything from what is Tesla normal, other than much more space.

Anybody know where I can get the longer torx screws for holding the MCU to the car? One of mine was in bad shape. Also, I had to slot two of the tiny screws that hold the case of the MCU to the screen, and one stripped out pretty bad. Looking for a few of those as well.

Anybody know where I can get the longer torx screws for holding the MCU to the car? One of mine was in bad shape. Also, I had to slot two of the tiny screws that hold the case of the MCU to the screen, and one stripped out pretty bad. Looking for a few of those as well.

You can get it from any Tesla service center.
The longer one is
Part: BLT,PFLG,TRX,M5x25[08.8]-05
Part Number: 1008884-00-C

Smaller one mostly:
Part: SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH
Part number: 1010058-00-A

It would be great to have a summary of behaviors to minimize eMMC writes and also some idea of effectiveness.
I have a 5/15 build with 82k miles.
I don't have any obvious problems but I am 100% streamer and have used my share of Nav.
I can switch to phone for music and avoid nav (need to shut off the nave that comes on every day to take me to work). Does that get me to very little writes?
What else reduces writes?
I should probably just do a preemptive fix soon but if someone told me that no nav and no streaming meant 1 write a month, then I might just do that for awhile.
I live 3 hours from WK057 and can drop the car off very easily in July, so that is my current plan.

Reactions: NoirMS
It would be great to have a summary of behaviors to minimize eMMC writes and also some idea of effectiveness.
I have a 5/15 build with 82k miles.
I don't have any obvious problems but I am 100% streamer and have used my share of Nav.
I can switch to phone for music and avoid nav (need to shut off the nave that comes on every day to take me to work). Does that get me to very little writes?
What else reduces writes?
I should probably just do a preemptive fix soon but if someone told me that no nav and no streaming meant 1 write a month, then I might just do that for awhile.
I live 3 hours from WK057 and can drop the car off very easily in July, so that is my current plan.

According to WK057 page he does not do advanced swaps, only after they go bad. Streaming, games, map tiles loading. Everything uses it. One of the big complaints is slower map tiles loading. As long as your proactive when you start having issues, your recovery should be good. Many people reported the new eMMC was much faster than their old one, so there is benefit to early replacement.