Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dwillaims,

Yes, unplug your Dashcam. No extra vampire drain that you can control.

You can expect EV-Fixme, to be accurate with what he said. He know what he’s talking about. From what you described, I agree with him, yours is on its final breaths. If the Chicago SC can get you up and running, go straight home. Do has EV-Fixme suggest, turn off Pin2Drive. Also turn off scheduled charging. We believe this prevents home charging.

Tesla is experiencing a shortage of MCUs. Some folks are reporting waiting 2-3 weeks. Get home, so if you are waiting, you can make other arrangements. Those of us thinking we are going to keep our old MCU1 with the upgrade - can forget it, unless we are willing to pay the core charge. The answer is no. I already asked. Don't argue with me. Take it up with Tesla. They need the old MCU1s.

I can understand your anxiety and worry particularly because you are not home when you had this problem. 2016? MP3Mike is right. You are not going to see an offer to move up to MCU2 for another month or two. You might as well remove that from your wish list.

Do yourself a favor. Since you have access to the Internet, look for all the service centers in your area. Be prepared to call them yourself asking if they have a MCU1 in stock if the SC you are going to says they don’t have it. Yes, it’s reasonable to expect them to do it for you, but what if they don’t. They don’t own your car, they simply are not as interested to get your car back on the road home as you are. I’d be prepared.

I don’t like that the eMMC is failing on cars either. You said, you wish that Tesla would acknowledge the situation and set our minds to ease. I don’t understand what your expectations from Tesla are? Tesla does knowledge it. They have a way to replace your eMMC with a refurbished MCU and get you back on the road. If they didn’t acknowledge it, what would their reaction be? We don’t know how to fix it? We don’t know what the problem is? We don’t fix those? They know.

Components fail. Transmissions even engines fail within warranty and out. Yes, we’ve not see a lot of MCU/eMMCs fail in other manufacturers. But not many are using the same stuff – YET. How many are too many? How wide spread is the eMMC failure?

Yes there’s a number of less than 100 reports here on TMC for the Model S eMMC failures. Yep, less than 100. And there’s also less than 100 reported on the Tesla forum. The exact number that I have been able to find is 161 counting yours. This surely is not all. This is only those that have been reported on these two forums. Sources tell us that MCU1 is in about 330,000 Tesla’s worldwide. 1 or 2% of that number would be what 33,000-66,000. If we had to guess, based on what we are owners are hearing about, - more like a fraction of 1%. While a lot of us are pissed off its us, it not a large number.

As things currently stand every one of those 8GB flash memory chips (the eMMC integrated circuit) fitted to Tesla cars from 2012 to 2018 is going to die, the majority within 6 years.
Musk talks of aiming to make million mile cars, employing these chips that were intended for low cost tablets won't help with that. Using a higher grade of device, not writing linux log files to them and using a larger chip that does not require so much reading and writing to optimise storage within that 8GB would help with the longevity.
We were told a week or two ago by Tesla (or was it a Musk tweet) that the latest over the air update (no identifying number given) would stop the writing of unnecessary log files to the flash memory which will help a lot with those eMMC chips that have survived unharmed up to now. Third parties have been fitting industrial grade 16GB and 32GB chips instead of the 8GB chips Tesla fitted to also help with the longevity problem. I don't know if MCU2 uses a higher grade flash memory chip or indeed if they will outlast the MCU1 boards.
This is a real problem that Tesla is doing something about, best to meet it head on, and fix it rather than take the approach Ford did with their dual clutch transmission where they denied everything and now the courts have come down heavily in favour of the folks that bought those cars. I expect to have to pay to get my car fixed but I also would like the fix to be a good one, not just a band-aid.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Dwillaims,

Yes, unplug your Dashcam. No extra vampire drain that you can control.

You can expect EV-Fixme, to be accurate with what he said. He know what he’s talking about. From what you described, I agree with him, yours is on its final breaths. If the Chicago SC can get you up and running, go straight home. Do has EV-Fixme suggest, turn off Pin2Drive. Also turn off scheduled charging. We believe this prevents home charging.

Tesla is experiencing a shortage of MCUs. Some folks are reporting waiting 2-3 weeks. Get home, so if you are waiting, you can make other arrangements. Those of us thinking we are going to keep our old MCU1 with the upgrade - can forget it, unless we are willing to pay the core charge. The answer is no. I already asked. Don't argue with me. Take it up with Tesla. They need the old MCU1s.

I can understand your anxiety and worry particularly because you are not home when you had this problem. 2016? MP3Mike is right. You are not going to see an offer to move up to MCU2 for another month or two. You might as well remove that from your wish list.

Do yourself a favor. Since you have access to the Internet, look for all the service centers in your area. Be prepared to call them yourself asking if they have a MCU1 in stock if the SC you are going to says they don’t have it. Yes, it’s reasonable to expect them to do it for you, but what if they don’t. They don’t own your car, they simply are not as interested to get your car back on the road home as you are. I’d be prepared.

I don’t like that the eMMC is failing on cars either. You said, you wish that Tesla would acknowledge the situation and set our minds to ease. I don’t understand what your expectations from Tesla are? Tesla does knowledge it. They have a way to replace your eMMC with a refurbished MCU and get you back on the road. If they didn’t acknowledge it, what would their reaction be? We don’t know how to fix it? We don’t know what the problem is? We don’t fix those? They know.

Components fail. Transmissions even engines fail within warranty and out. Yes, we’ve not see a lot of MCU/eMMCs fail in other manufacturers. But not many are using the same stuff – YET. How many are too many? How wide spread is the eMMC failure?

Yes there’s a number of less than 100 reports here on TMC for the Model S eMMC failures. Yep, less than 100. And there’s also less than 100 reported on the Tesla forum. The exact number that I have been able to find is 161 counting yours. This surely is not all. This is only those that have been reported on these two forums. Sources tell us that MCU1 is in about 330,000 Tesla’s worldwide. 1 or 2% of that number would be what 33,000-66,000. If we had to guess, based on what we are owners are hearing about, - more like a fraction of 1%. While a lot of us are pissed off its us, it not a large number.

Actually I'm going to update a little and not recommend people drive long distance with a black MCU. I personally witnessed a car that lost max charge ability when mcu blacked, and lost even more after tegra was removed.

Correction on my post above last pargraph. That 1 or 2% is a little bit closer to 3,300to 6,600 than 10 times greater at 33,000. Its gotten to the point that I can't do math without my iphone. Dag-nab-it.

Well every one will fail over time. Just hopefully later than sooner. We do highly recommend preventive. I've seen a few chips that totally can not be recovered with conventional ways, and may need the advanced (expensive) recovery methods. (like freezing the chips and grabbing sections of sectors to reconstruct files like @widodh needed)

Actually it was 5 months ago: Elon Musk on Twitter
Not that tweet (which I had not previously seen). I'm not part of Twitter. I was thinking of a much more concrete and recent statement to the affect that linux log files would no longer be stored on the eMMC. It claimed that particular fix had been implemented in the latest over the air update (I don't know if they were talking about an update that had been released to Tesla owners or one that would eventually be released to us. At the time I was struggling to get 2020.4.1 installed (which has still to be installed) but 2020.4.1 destroyed my maps in its last failed installation attempt.

Not that tweet (which I had not previously seen). I'm not part of Twitter. I was thinking of a much more concrete and recent statement to the affect that linux log files would no longer be stored on the eMMC. It claimed that particular fix had been implemented in the latest over the air update (I don't know if they were talking about an update that had been released to Tesla owners or one that would eventually be released to us. At the time I was struggling to get 2020.4.1 installed (which has still to be installed) but 2020.4.1 destroyed my maps in its last failed installation attempt.

I don't know of any other communication from Tesla about the logging. (But there has been some hackers, @verygreen/@wk057, that have confirmed the logging has been reduced since Elon said that.)

But the logging that still occurs is still on the eMMC. (There are hackers that move the logging off of the eMMC, but Tesla hasn't done that.)

Logging
I don't know of any other communication from Tesla about the logging. (But there has been some hackers, @verygreen/@wk057, that have confirmed the logging has been reduced since Elon said that.)

But the logging that still occurs is still on the eMMC. (There are hackers that move the logging off of the eMMC, but Tesla hasn't done that.)

Logging is reduced to only logging when car is on vs 24x7. They still currently log to emmc, not ram.

My MCU died a while ago. I was not able to retrieve my car keys from eMMC. Yesterday, after some month of arguing with Tesla, I had my car keys restored by Tesla SeC in Austria. Here's the story:

I had user LuckyLuke put in a new eMMC in my MCU and restore it to factory mode. In December 2019 Tesla SeC in Austria tried to get the files needed to restore the car keys. But "Engineering" refused to provide the data. Third party repairs are not supported, they told me. I asked if they would provide the files to me or an independent repair shop. No, was the answer.

The latter is not compatible with EU competition rules. "Vehicle manufacturers are in principle required to release technical information, for which they are the only source, to independent operators." Detailed here on page 9 (bottom) and 10:

https://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/mv_faq_en.pdf

It took some arguing and threatening of involving the Austrian Competition Authority, but in the end they got the US approval to restore my car keys, once I had signed a "Authorization and Release from Liability for Modified Service" form. This is not an official procedure (for now). But at least for all EU citizens there is hope this might change in the future.

My MCU died a while ago. I was not able to retrieve my car keys from eMMC. Yesterday, after some month of arguing with Tesla, I had my car keys restored by Tesla SeC in Austria. Here's the story:

I had user LuckyLuke put in a new eMMC in my MCU and restore it to factory mode. In December 2019 Tesla SeC in Austria tried to get the files needed to restore the car keys. But "Engineering" refused to provide the data. Third party repairs are not supported, they told me. I asked if they would provide the files to me or an independent repair shop. No, was the answer.

The latter is not compatible with EU competition rules. "Vehicle manufacturers are in principle required to release technical information, for which they are the only source, to independent operators." Detailed here on page 9 (bottom) and 10:

https://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/mv_faq_en.pdf

It took some arguing and threatening of involving the Austrian Competition Authority, but in the end they got the US approval to restore my car keys, once I had signed a "Authorization and Release from Liability for Modified Service" form. This is not an official procedure (for now). But at least for all EU citizens there is hope this might change in the future.
This is really great news!

You seem to have legal knowledge which really helped here. But this sets a case that if this happens to other people they can force Tesla to restore.

- Replace your eMMC
- Put car in factory mode
- Have Tesla restore the VPN certificates

Voila, that simple.

That's common. We have seen reports that some can and other's can not charge after the eMMC failed or the screen goes blank. No one has been able to pinpoint why some can and others can not. BUT - it possible those that can is because they had turned off scheduled charging. Instead they just plug in when they want to start the charge. It could be that the firmware cannot access the clock/calendar routine so it knows when its suppose to start. So because it can't bring up the time, it doesn't know it was supposed to start. Therefore, those folks that think their MCU is having problems, might wish to turn off scheduled charging on the chance its part of the charging problem. If you think your MCU is failing, and you can't take it into to Tesla until it fails, it might be safer to turn off scheduled charging until - until you know its safe to turn it back on.

Why? MCU1 are in short supply at Tesla these days. Do you want to be in a position where your MCU failed and you are told its going to be 1-3 weeks before you can get it fixed? And you need to protect your battery from vampire drain. Up to you.

That's common. We have seen reports that some can and other's can not charge after the eMMC failed or the screen goes blank. No one has been able to pinpoint why some can and others can not. BUT - it possible those that can is because they had turned off scheduled charging. Instead they just plug in when they want to start the charge. It could be that the firmware cannot access the clock/calendar routine so it knows when its suppose to start. So because it can't bring up the time, it doesn't know it was supposed to start. Therefore, those folks that think their MCU is having problems, might wish to turn off scheduled charging on the chance its part of the charging problem. If you think your MCU is failing, and you can't take it into to Tesla until it fails, it might be safer to turn off scheduled charging until - until you know its safe to turn it back on.

Why? MCU1 are in short supply at Tesla these days. Do you want to be in a position where your MCU failed and you are told its going to be 1-3 weeks before you can get it fixed? And you need to protect your battery from vampire drain. Up to you.

Right before my MCU died I had it set to 100%, I had problems with it going past 92% and I read giving it time could fix it.

When my MCU died, it would charge normally. I never let it get fully charged, I was using the car frequently and was usually around 70-80%.

I then let it charge fully but then it was stuck pulling 2A instead of 40A.

I tried switching to a 120v plug hoping it would reset something but it didn't work.

I have a theory that once it reaches the target soc it trickle charges at 2A.

Lots of people have been following this thread. If your following and have not looked at the first post for a while I suggest you go look before you start removal. I've taken most feedback and questions and updated the first post so all the information is easily available. I will continue to do so. New people to this don't have to read through pages and multiple threads to get all the information.

I made this post on the tesla.com forum yesterday:

MCU1-MCU1 replacement. Ratings - Local 8/10, corporate 1/10

My MCU1 died on Mar 4. Scheduled service the only way possible - via app. Was texted a mobile service appt from 515-519-7274 for Mar 16.

Mar 4 - Got another text a little while later asking me a few questions and suggesting I do a reboot (already done).

Mar 4 - Responded to that text, stating I'd already tried a reboot several times, and with some questions (including "are sure this can be handled by a mobile tech?") and never got a response.

Mar 11 - Text received "your concern is not mobile capable. Please use the mobile app to make a time/date work for you." First available at my usual SvC was Mar 23. Texted asking if anything was available sooner and received no response. Looked in the app at another nearby SvC and found an appt for Mar 17, and scheduled it.

Mar 17 - car dropped off at SvC. Offered a pre-AP MS loaner. Outside was immaculate. Inside was dirty. Asked if that text number is one way or interactive. Service rep said they have a team that should be responding to questions via text. They weren't. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the way service is scheduled and that there's no way to talk with anyone. Service rep commiserated with me and said most customers feel the same way. I was given the "secret menu" how to contact them via telephone. They also said they would contact me via telephone if I preferred.

Mar 19 - car sat for 2 days with nothing being done. Got a call saying they were able to reboot the car, but the memory chip was 80% "used up" and it would be prudent to replace the MCU. I asked about MCU2 replacement instead and was told it couldn't be done on my car. Asked to speak to the service manager. He (Ryan) was very pleasant and said if I could find a VIN of an AP1 car that had an MCU2, he'd look into it. He gave me his personal phone number to call back. Apparently the one poster on TMC who said he got a MCU2 was mistaken. Contacted Ryan directly via voice/phone and said go ahead with MCU1 replacement.

Mar 20 - Texted that car was ready. Total price was $1627.40 which included $1300 for MCU1, $8.80 for rear view camera HSD jumper, $7.70 for bluetooth antenna, $201.50 for labor, plus tax.

I asked them if they could rotate the tires as long as the car was in. Price for rotation was $133, so I said "never mind!"

On the invoice, it included courtesy checks including topped off wiper fluid (tank was already full) and tire tread readings of 0 (zero) across the board. I called them up (and they answered!) to ask if they forgot to record them on the invoice and they said it must not have been done. My tires have about 5K miles on them (and I have eyes), so I knew 0 was impossible :)

When MCU1 is replaced, all your settings are lost, including lifetime wh/mi :-( There should be a way for Service to save them, then transfer them. But no... Ironically, all their logging is the root of this MCU problem. Oddly, a few of my Slacker favorites were still there, but everything else from top to bottom, needed to be reset. I had forgotten what a few of the settings were, so had to look it up (the on-screen manual should have a search feature!) They forgot to turn mobile access back on, so I went into Safety and Security tab and scratched my head when I couldn't find the Mobile Access setting. Then the light bulb went off and I scrolled down and found it.

In summary, I was overall pleased with the local SvC. Service access and scheduling, from the corporate level, is horrendous. Grown-ups shouldn't be forced to communicate via app and text, especially for a luxury-priced car. This isn't an Xbox or Gameboy.

Car currently downloading 2020.8.1.1.