Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 ... not 2016 (typo) ... Also Tesla SC has confirmed it is 1 year warranty without conveying any info about MCU revision being new or refurbished ... Interesting really. Lots of questions when I contact them tomorrow.

Update ... My questions and SC replies ...
1) parts are brand new ... both MCU and screen ... not refurbished ... right? The replacement MCU is a re-manufactured Unit

2) warranty should be 4 years ... why was I told 1 year? 12 is warranty supplied when purchasing parts, 4 year is with new car warranty only.

3) what is eMMC GB capacity? ... not the miniscule 8GB I hope Not at liberty to discuss but will be equal to that of your previous MCU

4) will any settings be lost? VPN for supercharging, car keys and other such configurations. No

5) MCU controls charging too ... 12V battery and also gets confused if the car was ever on scheduled charging ... Have you checked that now before you take off the old MCU? As the MCU acts as a main gateway for the information to be extracted to continue diagnosis we would require the new unit to be installed.

6) how many write cycles are on the old MCU? Spotify/streaming, navigation actions/history/favs, gaming etc. are main culprits to using up the meagre 2800 limit. I need to have a list of such actions and associated write cycles. Also guidance on how to check write cycles myself We’re not at liberty to discuss. There are no customer facing ways of checking write cycles.

Update ... My questions and SC replies ...
1) parts are brand new ... both MCU and screen ... not refurbished ... right? The replacement MCU is a re-manufactured Unit

2) warranty should be 4 years ... why was I told 1 year? 12 is warranty supplied when purchasing parts, 4 year is with new car warranty only.

3) what is eMMC GB capacity? ... not the miniscule 8GB I hope Not at liberty to discuss but will be equal to that of your previous MCU

4) will any settings be lost? VPN for supercharging, car keys and other such configurations. No

5) MCU controls charging too ... 12V battery and also gets confused if the car was ever on scheduled charging ... Have you checked that now before you take off the old MCU? As the MCU acts as a main gateway for the information to be extracted to continue diagnosis we would require the new unit to be installed.

6) how many write cycles are on the old MCU? Spotify/streaming, navigation actions/history/favs, gaming etc. are main culprits to using up the meagre 2800 limit. I need to have a list of such actions and associated write cycles. Also guidance on how to check write cycles myself We’re not at liberty to discuss. There are no customer facing ways of checking write cycles.
I believe you are worrying too much about this. Yes 8GB is small by today’s standard, but not unusual in 2010 when this designed. When this issue was first detected, Tesla’s first remedial step was to ratchet down writes to extend life of units in service, and to make new units last longer. In my case, my original 2012 MCU still operating fine, but I fully expect to have to replace. If I go with Tesla remanufactured unit, should last at least twice as long as the 8 years I already have on current one.

At any rate, I strongly doubt it would fail within 4 year period so the warranty issue is a moot point.

if you don’t trust Tesla has reduced flogging of eMMC, then get 3rd party replacement with larger device. There are several reputable suppliers here.

IMO, you should lighten up on Tesla service on this and just get yours replaced. Of course they are not going to answer those questions. And they’ll remember your courtesy:):) like they remember the guy who showed up with calipers at delivery.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
I believe you are worrying too much about this. Yes 8GB is small by today’s standard, but not unusual in 2010 when this designed. When this issue was first detected, Tesla’s first remedial step was to ratchet down writes to extend life of units in service, and to make new units last longer. In my case, my original 2012 MCU still operating fine, but I fully expect to have to replace. If I go with Tesla remanufactured unit, should last at least twice as long as the 8 years I already have on current one.

At any rate, I strongly doubt it would fail within 4 year period so the warranty issue is a moot point.

if you don’t trust Tesla has reduced flogging of eMMC, then get 3rd party replacement with larger device. There are several reputable suppliers here.

IMO, you should lighten up on Tesla service on this and just get yours replaced. Of course they are not going to answer those questions. And they’ll remember your courtesy:):) like they remember the guy who showed up with calipers at delivery.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel better. But ... whether it is Tesla or any other prestigious/luxury brand, I have no intention of being light on them when they let me down. 4 weeks! Yes - exceptional circumstances; but communication could have been a lot better. Also, knowing how dangerous/inconvenient it can be to drive with failing MCU, they should have been proactive when I went to them about 2 months ago when screen died.

After eMMC swap last Saturday evening (with no success of getting the certificates restored) and couple of days waiting for answer from Tesla SvC Finland for certificates, I received an email from Tesla.

In that email read that Tesla nowadays has a procedure to restore MCU after a 3rd party repair. They can't guarantee 100 % success for the MCU restore because Tesla can't be sure how the 3rd party repair has been carried out. The cost is about 260 € (approx. $300 USD) and it will not be returned in case of no success. The service can take the whole day.

I received Authorization and Release for Modified Service form that should be agreed to get the process started.

Additional information in that form included date of form March 19, 2020,
Model: All, and
Region: All.

It seems to me that the world is now a bit better place to live as a Tesla owner. Finally.

After eMMC swap last Saturday evening (with no success of getting the certificates restored) and couple of days waiting for answer from Tesla SvC Finland for certificates, I received an email from Tesla.

In that email read that Tesla nowadays has a procedure to restore MCU after a 3rd party repair. They can't guarantee 100 % success for the MCU restore because Tesla can't be sure how the 3rd party repair has been carried out. The cost is about 260 € (approx. $300 USD) and it will not be returned in case of no success. The service can take the whole day.

I received Authorization and Release for Modified Service form that should be agreed to get the process started.

It seems to me that the world is now a bit better place to live as a Tesla owner. Finally.

That is good news for sure. Slowly Tesla is becoming a little more accomodating with their policies.

I would argue that every refurbished MCU Tesla that has been sold and installed at the service centres is a third party repair, unless someone can prove to me that it was actually a team of in-house Tesla employees who did the work. If the person knows what they are doing, does it matter either way?

Last edited:
Post #310 also shared this link ...thanks both. I have brought it to SC attention. Perhaps 4 years warranty applies to new parts (rather than remanufactured ones)

4 years warranty it is ... New MCUv1 has longer lead time ... So went for re-manufactured MCUv1 ... about 2 weeks lead time. In due course, MCUv2 will also become an option it seems. But not now. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience. Much appreciated

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
After my car sitting w/ a dead screen for 6 weeks (and being a PITA to drive) I gave in and took her in for an MCU replacement. I was hoping that we'd see some news on MCU2 which would at least take some of the sting out of this but I need the car to be drivable.

That's GREAT news ... could you share some more info? So restore from a 3rd party repair - is that a replacement of the eMMC chip ... AND is the restore done by Tesla including the cert files?

We have been hearing in some countries that have more strict right to repair laws are allowing certificates to be restored on 3rd party repaired units.

Hopefully US service centers can "Learn" how do do this soon also. Keep in mind, the cost for them to install the certs are still pretty expensive. It's still a good idea to get your upgrade done before failure to keep the cost low and greatly extend the life of your MCU.

EV-Fixe, TonyT, I'd like to hear your opinion on this comment, please.

I often read, (just read another on TM S), that suddenly the car can't charge, or charges only to 40% or less, and suddenly BT doesn't work, turn signals don't work. But this is followed by "I just downloaded a new update/OTA, and haven't even driven anywhere. What's with my car?" Some version of that, but the key to these single or multiple functions not working, is right after an firmware update. Most of the time/nearly all the time these are older cars, '13/'14/'15.

So:
1. What's your take that a firmware update may cause or trigger these problems to surface?.

2. Could firmware successfully install but when the car come back up, sometimes from a reboot, some of these functions are not available, because the OS is unable to read code from the new location that the firmware installed to?

3. Or what?

Careful, I'm going to try and help some of these folks by reporting to them that they eMMC/MCU may be starting to fail. I don't want to mistakenly blame the wrong thing. :)

Hi, as I posted last week, 2 months ago my emmc was changed by a swissbit. Everything worked fine. Last week I had big troubles with the MCU, spotify did not work at all, I rebooted the mcu. It took a very long time to reboot (maybe 10min). Then it did not work well: unable to connect bluetooth, big display problems, no communication anymore with the app.
I tried to reboot, it was then black.
I pulled off the fuse, put it back. The mcu was always black.
The dashboard displayed that I did't have anymore parksensors. It didn't have anymore rampage. It was like my mcu is dead
So I contacted the conpany that changed my emmc. I leanred that they received 200 bad chips.
I opened my dashboard for the second time, pulled off the mcu, opened the pcu, pulled off the tegra board and sent it to him (in Nederlands). He successfully read the emmc and wrote data to a new Micron chip (MTFC16GAPALBH-IT in pSLC mode).
Now it works.
So it is the third emmc on my tegra board: the original hynix, the swissbit and now the micron !

Hi, as I posted last week, 2 months ago my emmc was changed by a swissbit. Everything worked fine. Last week I had big troubles with the MCU, spotify did not work at all, I rebooted the mcu. It took a very long time to reboot (maybe 10min). Then it did not work well: unable to connect bluetooth, big display problems, no communication anymore with the app.
I tried to reboot, it was then black.
I pulled off the fuse, put it back. The mcu was always black.
The dashboard displayed that I did't have anymore parksensors. It didn't have anymore rampage. It was like my mcu is dead
So I contacted the conpany that changed my emmc. I leanred that they received 200 bad chips.
I opened my dashboard for the second time, pulled off the mcu, opened the pcu, pulled off the tegra board and sent it to him (in Nederlands). He successfully read the emmc and wrote data to a new Micron chip (MTFC16GAPALBH-IT in pSLC mode).
Now it works.
So it is the third emmc on my tegra board: the original hynix, the swissbit and now the micron !

What size (GB) was your swissbit emmc?

Update on our situation. We believe we overloaded the eMMC by missing 2 or more firmware updates, rendering the eMMC unreadable - no certificates could be extracted. So we bought a refurbished MCU-1 from Tesla in Berkeley CA. Very pleasant experience there. (Overlooking fact that they take no responsibility for poor design.)

Tesla SC sent these tips on how to extend life of eMMC. I've been told that these may not appear elsewhere on this thread, so here they are.
Happy motoring, once the shelter-in-place ends!

"Here is some tips to help out with the MCU speed. You have the version 1 MCU so you need to keep it clean and running smoothly;
1) connect to WiFi daily, 2 bars or more, don't miss any firmware updates (missing updates in succession will absolutely overload the memory).
2) set web browser to simple site; like Tesla or google search (it runs in background, no script heavy pages like news, sports).
3) clear trip meters A and B often, not more than about 7000 miles (they also store enormous energy data taxing the calculations.
4) Clear old Nav searches (swipe right).
5) Limit satellite view in maps.
6) Go to Controls>display turn off "energy savings" for fastest start up.
7) Refrain from using large thumb drives with excessive amount of music/ data (MCU has to parse all that data for indexing)"

Update on our situation. We believe we overloaded the eMMC by missing 2 or more firmware updates, rendering the eMMC unreadable - no certificates could be extracted. So we bought a refurbished MCU-1 from Tesla in Berkeley CA. Very pleasant experience there. (Overlooking fact that they take no responsibility for poor design.)

Tesla SC sent these tips on how to extend life of eMMC. I've been told that these may not appear elsewhere on this thread, so here they are.
Happy motoring, once the shelter-in-place ends!

"Here is some tips to help out with the MCU speed. You have the version 1 MCU so you need to keep it clean and running smoothly;
1) connect to WiFi daily, 2 bars or more, don't miss any firmware updates (missing updates in succession will absolutely overload the memory).
2) set web browser to simple site; like Tesla or google search (it runs in background, no script heavy pages like news, sports).
3) clear trip meters A and B often, not more than about 7000 miles (they also store enormous energy data taxing the calculations.
4) Clear old Nav searches (swipe right).
5) Limit satellite view in maps.
6) Go to Controls>display turn off "energy savings" for fastest start up.
7) Refrain from using large thumb drives with excessive amount of music/ data (MCU has to parse all that data for indexing)"
I appreciate you taking the time to post but be careful what you believe, especially from the service center.